Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Canvas prints

futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canvas prints

Thanks for that comprehensive review, Mark.
Your image turned out great!

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canvas prints

msalvetti wrote:
The canvas is about an inch deep. Because of the crop I had to work with, I decided to have them make the edges black rather than wrap the image. I would have lost parts of the photo I wanted to show.

Mark, what I've done in the past when creating gallery wraps on canvas is not to put parts of my original image on the sides at all. Instead, I expand the canvas in Photoshop so it includes the space where the edges will be. Then I select a piece of the image, right next to the edge and of the same size and shape as the edge. Copy that slice of image to another layer, invert it horizontally (or vertically) so it's a mirror image of your image and the lines continue smoothly, and then move that copied part to where the edge is going to be. Repeat for all four edges, and voila!

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canvas prints

Thanks Rodolfo, that's a great idea! Unfortunately I didn't think of that. Luckily they have an option where you can select any color for the edges, and it looks fine in black.

Next time I'll definitely give your approach a try.

Mark

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM
bulldogimaging

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canvas prints

I have used canvaspop.com with very good results. They have pretty regular 30% off deals on your total order plus free shipping on orders over 150

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM
daza

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canvas prints

Delivery companies take no pride in how they handle the items, they're a pain in the ass!

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:29 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canvas prints

It remains to be seen how well the canvas holds up over time, but I'm happy with it and I'd use CG Pro Prints again. It would be nice if their boxes provided better protection all the way around, but this was a large, awkward size, and I'm probably lucky UPS didn't totally trash it.

Regarding Circle Graphics:

Until fairly recently, they were building canvas wraps pretty much conventinally, canvas wrapped and stapled to a frame. They used a composite wood-material rather than solid wood for the frame, but that was okay.

I took apart one of their new style wraps. The canvas is bonded to a thick piece of cardboard-ish stock (about 3/16-inch thick). That is folded around a 1-inch-thick slab of styrofoam with a thick cardstock backing. There's a whole lot of adhesive and styrofoam involved.

I personally do not consider this "archival" by any means or "high-end." OTOH, I don't really consider canvas wrap to be high-end anyway.

So my bottom line is that I still use Circle Graphics for my own public display pieces. The low prices allow me to change them out much more frequently in the locations I have public displays. I can also offer them as a medium-level product, but not high-end.

For me, high end canvas is still going to be conventional canvas wrapped around a wooden frame and then framed for physical protection.

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:33 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canvas prints

I use Artsy Couture... and they are phenomenal and fairly inexpensive. The 20x30 is the best deal at $50. And every order is drop shipped so I can just have them ship it right to the client. The quality is so good that I don't have to worry about it looking bad. The customer service is also excellent.

The one downside is waiting times.. it takes about a week for them to produce the canvas.. then because I'm in Montana and they are on the East Coast it takes another week to get here. So two weeks in all.

I do want to try CG Pro though, I can't believe there prices.

Here's an example of a canvas I did with AC
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/475208_356629061088998_1966195994_o.jpg

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:50 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canvas prints

Oh and on another note... I wouldn't recommend ordering from a place like LivingSocial.. I ordered one through a google deal, it was done with Cafe Press. It looked terrible. Quality was just meh.

So deal sites are a no go for me these days. And they also take what seems like forever to get the order to you.

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Peter Jonas

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canvas prints

I really like Simply Color Lab. Prices are good. The techs communicate with you if something is in doubt about the canvas. Every one I have ordered has come back exactly as I anticipated.

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

alatoo60
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canvas prints

Had a lousy experience with CanvasonDemand. The colors and quality of the prints are OK, but stretching really sucks, even after re-work. The prints come uncoated, one has to varnish them himself.

My best experience, so far - with GalleryDirect. Really liked their prints on metal.

PictureItOnCanvas was also right on target with color, stretching frames seem to be high quality, and the prints come coated with UV-protective varnish.

Do not know where Costco does canvas prints, but I am not impressed with the quality.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:35 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canvas prints

I posted on this thread a few months ago, with the Fenway pano made by CGPro Prints.

Recently I wanted another canvas, but I wanted a custom size (12"x33"). CGPro doesn't do custom sizes. I didn't find any solid references here, so I Googled around and ended up trying CanvasPOP to print this sunset:

http://msalvetti.smugmug.com/Family/Sunset-08-19-12/i-gmZLS34/0/L/Sunset%2008-19-12_03-L.jpg

Their pricing was decent, and I found another discount coupon online. I sent them my image, and they sent me a mockup for approval. Didn't like it (I used Rodolfo's suggestion and cloned the edges, but the wrap seam wasn't in the right place, due to my mistake), so they let me submit a new image.

The printing and shipping took longer than CGPro, and the CanvasPOP quality wasn't as good, even though I think I paid more per square inch than I did with CGPro. Notice my photos of the back of the Fenway print - it has a backing with mounting hinges (I see Artsy Couture does it that way too). The CanvasPOP product has an open back, and a wire strung across the back for hanging. Also rubber feet to keep the bottom of the canvas off the wall. I don't think I'll use them again.

Any other suggestions for someplace that makes canvas prints in custom sizes, at reasonable pricing?

Mark

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM
ibcj
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canvas prints

I bought a few canvases from Mpix and I am very happy with the quality. The printing is great, and the finishing is excellent. I did make the mistake and buy from Easy Canvas on Black Friday and it is crap. The printing is poor, it has no backing and the mounting bracket was hammered into the frame too far. Stay away from Easy Canvas, no matter how good their deals appear.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:52 AM
ashleyverna

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canvas prints

I like to suggest you to visit cheapcanvasprints.com.au. They provides high quality cheap canvas prints. specializes in printing art and photos on canvas.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:25 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canvas prints

Since this topic got brought up again I'm throwing my vote out again for Artsy Couture... quality is unbelievable and they have some the best customer service and pricing. A 20x30" costs $50 for 0.75" thick.

Just received and dropped these three canvases off today for a client.
http://i.imgur.com/hcuC7C2.jpg

If anyone wants more detailed photos I took some at my house before bringing them to this brewery.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:41 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canvas prints

I have nothing but good things to say about WHCC. The 40x60 I have from them is fantastic.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM
DeepShadows
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canvas prints

I will put in another vote for Canvas On Demand. I have several 20x30 and 16x20 thick gallery wraps from them and I ordered a 72x22 pano and it is spectacular and very sturdy. I loved it so much I ordered another 72x22 of the second image.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:25 AM
MelanieLongino

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canvas prints

Hi,

I would recommend you visit http://www.magnipic.com/ . They offer good quality work at a cost-effective price. There image quality is superb with fine clarity and sharpness to the prints done. I know because I ordered a set of wildlife canvas prints for my own place. They did a great job!

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:44 AM
canvaschamp

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canvas prints

If you really want best canvas print then i have one best idea for best quality with cheap rate for custom canvas print at canvas champ in USA. personalize your favorite photo on canvas with custom canvas print which only in $14.94 only. #canvaschamp #homeimoprovement

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:35 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password