Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

I use the Manfrotto 345 tabletop kit. You can use the mini head + leg set alone, or add the variable height centre post. It's shown here with the original screw mount top. It also works well with an RRS B2-FAB mini clamp.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

What kind of modification are you referring to?

Fully splayed works well, I'd like to use it similar to a mini tri-pod with the legs in a more upright position sometimes. Even with the little weight of the V-2 the try-pod slides down to the fully splayed mode. Requires a little modification, even when tightening the legs it still splays which is the way it was designed to be used I believe.

If you plan on using fully splayed it works very well.

If you are thinking to use like this, the legs are not stiff enough

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:18 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

jcolwell wrote:
I use the Manfrotto 345 tabletop kit. You can use the mini head + leg set alone, or add the variable height centre post.

Me too, I use a small Slik ballhead with mine. Great for a small camera like a Leica.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:22 PM
lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

Taoguy wrote:
What kind of modification are you referring to?

Fully splayed works well, I'd like to use it similar to a mini tri-pod with the legs in a more upright position sometimes. Even with the little weight of the V-2 the try-pod slides down to the fully splayed mode. Requires a little modification, even when tightening the legs it still splays which is the way it was designed to be used I believe.

I don't understand what you mean by a little modification. Can you go into specifics? I am referring to the position that you've shown in the second picture.

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:34 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

In the second picture, the legs will not remain in that position in the photo. Even with the minimal weight of the V1 they begin to slide open as in photo 1. The bottom of each leg has a rubber strip that helps but still allows the legs to slide open on on desk top type of surface but on a rough surface it holds better. There are set screws on each leg but they loosen so I might start there first. Again, I think this mini was designed to be used with the legs fully splayed, I want the option to use it as shown in photo 2 as you suggest.

Been too busy to play around with any modifications at this point so I cannot be more specific than that. I like simple so a ring that holds the legs might work as well. I just haven't put much thought in to the mods I need. I hope this helps better explain.

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:58 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

Taoguy wrote:
In the second picture, the legs will not remain in that position in the photo. Even with the minimal weight of the V1 they begin to slide open as in photo 1. The bottom of each leg has a rubber strip that helps but still allows the legs to slide open on on desk top type of surface but on a rough surface it holds better. There are set screws on each leg but they loosen so I might start there first. Again, I think this mini was designed to be used with the legs fully splayed, I want the
...Show more

So are you saying that it's possible to tighten the screws to get the position that you've outlined in the second picture?

If not, I guess I don't really mind if the legs are fully splayed. It's just that sometimes I want the camera to be at a higher point. Do you know of a centre column that will screw on to the tripod?

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

lsquare wrote:
Do you know of a centre column that will screw on to the tripod?

Why don't you use the Manfrotto 259B Extension Column that Jim diplayed in the images at the top of the page?

EBH

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

this is one of a few items recently that RRS has put out that tends to be a little afield of their core ideas and results to me. but then you learn by this too.

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:20 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

sjms
this is one of a few items recently that RRS has put out that tends to be a little afield of their core ideas and results to me. but then you learn by this too.

I agree, it works well for me, don't use it that much, quality build as most RRS products of which I have several. IMO there could have been a little more thought/design.
As stated by EB-1 if you want a center column there may be other units that will fill your needs better.

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uscmatt99
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

You can use the RRS MTX multitool as a center column. There is a photo of it on the website. That's what I'm considering getting along with the table-top tripod and a BH-25.

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:57 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

uscmatt99 wrote:
You can use the RRS MTX multitool as a center column. There is a photo of it on the website. That's what I'm considering getting along with the table-top tripod and a BH-25.

What a great tip, thanks for that. Something I never thought of, I saw the threads on the tool and was wondering, what for?

Thanks,

Roger

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:28 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

before you jump I have to say as a strong supporter of RRS in general. I have a Kirk mini tripod which I feel is a bit more robust. it does require a 1/4 to 3/8 thread adapter for a ballhead and I do use it with a BH30. I do have a MTX tool and have also played with that sort of option. with a D4 really not there and a D7000 its a stretch to use. the BH30 directly coupled to the tripod is rock solid though. the RRS mini is for lightweight use.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:43 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

sjms wrote:
before you jump I have to say as a strong supporter of RRS in general. I have a Kirk mini tripod which I feel is a bit more robust. it does require a 1/4 to 3/8 thread adapter for a ballhead and I do use it with a BH30. I do have a MTX tool and have also played with that sort of option. with a D4 really not there and a D7000 its a stretch to use. the BH30 directly coupled to the tripod is rock solid though. the RRS mini is for lightweight use.

You're right about the ballhead being directly connected being rock solid. The use of an extender does push the limits I'm sure. The RRS mini is actually quite robust and stable with the legs fully splayed, the way it was probably intended for I would assume.

Roger

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

as long as one understands the limits of the tool one uses.

Edited on Feb 04, 2013 at 12:41 PM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:06 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

EB-1 wrote:
Why don't you use the Manfrotto 259B Extension Column that Jim diplayed in the images at the top of the page?

EBH

That's an excellent idea! Thanks EBH and Jim!

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:16 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

uscmatt99 wrote:

I'm not sure if the MTX tool is tall enough for my needs. I only intend to use my mirrorless cameras or the Canon G1X on it. The Manfrotto extension column is an interesting idea. I wonder if there are any other alternatives available?

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:18 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

lsquare wrote:
I'm not sure if the MTX tool is tall enough for my needs. I only intend to use my mirrorless cameras or the Canon G1X on it. The Manfrotto extension column is an interesting idea. I wonder if there are any other alternatives available?

I'm looking to get the MTX primarily as a tool for adjusting my tripod on the go, and secondarily to use as an extender for a table tripod. The Manfrotto one is nice, but I would be leery to use anything larger than a mirrorless camera with a short lens with the column extended. Once the column gets longer than the tripod leg radius, you're asking for trouble, and should probably use handhold shutter speeds anyway.

I've used the Manfrotto table tripod many times in conjunction with the Photoclam Pro Gold II ballhead. It did very well with the D700 and short Voiglander SL-II lenses, but is overkill for a mirrorless cam like my Ricoh GXR with RF lenses. My complaint with that tripod is the tiny cork pads that require a near perfectly flat surface (like a table ) to rest solidly. If I get the RRS table pod, I'll wrap the legs with a grippy tape. Coupled with the rubber feet, there will be more grippy contact areas for uneven surfaces. It looks like it should still fold up well with this applied.

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:56 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password