Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Monument Valley guide passes away

Ray Still
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monument Valley guide passes away

Just wanted to pass this along looking on my Facebook page and photographer Jack Graham has posted that well know Mounment Valley guide Tom Philips has passed away suddenly weather you were a friend or foe of Toms sad to hear

Ray Still

Edited by JimFox on May 16, 2012 at 06:53 AM · View previous versions

May 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monument Valley guide passes away

Sad to hear that news! I've been wanting to arrange a trip with him there at Hunt's Mesa.

May 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monument Valley guide passes away

I had Tom guide for a day and he was the utmost professional guide. Knew his locations, knew his photography and an excellent story teller. Sad to hear of his passing.

May 16, 2012 at 01:32 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monument Valley guide passes away

That's very sad to hear. I worked with Tom in the past. It was a pleasure riding around MV in his Jeep, and hearing his stories about growing up in the valley. He will truly be missed.

May 16, 2012 at 02:59 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monument Valley guide passes away

Man, that is sad to hear. I went on a few trips with him. Some of the best food I ever ate was the steak and fixings that he cooked for us up on Hunts Mesa after a great evening of shooting. As Ben said he had lots of great stories as Ben said. I remember a time his taking a bunch of us up to Hunts Mesa and this steep sand hill he had to drive up or maybe it was down... But I got out and ran ahead because he was going so slow... Then when they caught up to me, he kept going!!! He was quite the jokester. And then one time he was out playing his flute so magically and he let us shoot him back up against this cool red rock cavern. That same trip I helped teach him how to use this old Nikon D1 someone had given him...

He will be missed!

Jim

May 16, 2012 at 04:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nasteve

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monument Valley guide passes away

Spent two great days with this man. Thank you Tom for sharing you land with all of us.
You will be missed. RIP

steve

May 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monument Valley guide passes away

sad to hear. I've taken around 5 tours with Tom in the past and he was first class. Last year I had booked the Hunt's mesa trip with him and he was just there to introduce himself as his son and nephew took us out. They did say he was getting on in years and didn't conduct the tours as much as in the past.

Aside from the tours, he always had good stories and thoughts to share.

May 16, 2012 at 03:36 PM
PKuglin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monument Valley guide passes away

Oh, how sad. Used Tom many time and once helped him drive an extra vehicle up to Hunts Mesa to carry clients. That was an experience

He had a interesting life. Once he moved to San Jose Ca to go to a truck mechanic school and ended up teaching Navajo at Standford. Since many Indian cultures loss their native tongue, many adopted Navajo as their own...

Any information on if it was natural causes or ?

May 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM
PKuglin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monument Valley guide passes away

I see Jack states it is believed to be natural causes. He will be missed.

May 17, 2012 at 01:57 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monument Valley guide passes away

I am glad to have taken two photo tours with Tom at Monument Valley and Hunt's Mesa, the last one just last summer with my young son who talked Tom's ear off with a lot of humor in return. Great photos and great memories with my son.

Tom will be missed.

May 17, 2012 at 01:01 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password