Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

mosabi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

mmsean~ If you decide to sell it I may be interested in the 40D/grip combo. No lens necessary. I need one as a backup to my current 40D.

Like I say if you do decide please pm me an asking price.

Thanks!

May 26, 2012 at 05:08 PM
IndyFab
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Somewhat in the same dilema, if I decide to buy the new 5Diii, I will sell off one of my crop bodies and keep the other as back up and also to get the longer reach with my existing lens.

I say sell off the 28 -135, you can do much better with other choices of lens available.

May 26, 2012 at 05:39 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

If my math is right, a 40D @10mp translates to 25.6mp FF. Meaning if you take a 25.6mp FF body and crop to 1.6x, your file will be 10mp.
So yes, the 40D has more reach, but only by a margin. A 5D3 @22mp will give you a 8.6mp file when cropped to APS-C format. That's about 8% more pixels wide and 8% more pixels high. So considering the better IQ of the 5D3, reach is not a compelling reason for keeping it alongside a 5D3.
I'm using it for backup and reach alongside a 5D. I will give it away as soon as I get a 5DIII, and keep my 5D as backup/2nd.

May 26, 2012 at 09:14 PM
absolutic
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Mike1.6 wrote:
I'd say sell anything you don't use all the time. Our lives tend to get cluttered with things we hold onto "just in case". Buy something you need with the money. If you find you need a 40D later, you'll be able to buy one again.

100% true. I am of the opinion, if some piece of equipment sits on the shelf for 6 months without being used, it's gotta go, there is no reason for it to be there. You will always able to buy the same thing cheaper in a year.

May 27, 2012 at 08:51 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

dude.. here's my honest advise:

I myself have a 40D it's my fastest crop camera---do own 20D,XTi & XSI., and I also compared 50D, T1i, T2i and T3i's IQ to my surprise the 40D is the cleanest in terms of noise from ISO 400 to 1600.... this is the reason why I kept my 40D.

my XTi and XSi been sitting around in my camera cabinet, they're are useful to me whenever I do a NOT TOO SERIOUS\CRITICAL photography, regular friend's party pics, some documentation stuff, a walk around camera, much like I used it as a point & shoot DSLR camera.

for my 20D & 40D I keep them with the big boys 1Ds2 and 5D2.... these are my serious IMAGE MAKERS... I still use my 20D and 40D there are things my full framers can't do.

here's my mentality behind this: I currently own two sets of Auto Mechanics Tool 1 set is from El cheapo Walmart $29.99 Made in China and 1 Set SNAP-ON Made in USA tools $800.00... The El Cheapo Walmart I use it for non cirtical stuff like maintenance on my El cheapo lawnmower, fixing kitchen pipings, all the crappy stuff.

For my 800 Dollar SNAP-ONs I used them on any automotive vehicles especially the Audis, BMWs and Mercedez the manufacturers of these made sure all the bolts and nuts are exact science... no mistakes! otherwise you'll messed it up. I will never use my SNAP-ONs on my lawnmower never-ever.

In short keep your 40D and buy a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 make that one as permanent lens., put it in different cabinet let it sit there. When the time comes for non critical shots take the 40D this is to save your 5D3 for non important stuff.

If you still want to sell it PM me righ away.

May 27, 2012 at 01:20 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I use the 40D and after several years I am still impressed by the files it produces with the help of LR3 (now LR4).

I would suggest keeping it for more casual shoots......where you don't want to worry about the new expensive 5D3 getting damaged in any way.

It also depends how much you want the cash......40Ds plus grip have been going sub 300 here recently (and 50Ds with grip sub 400) so not much to to gain in cash terms by selling....particularly when you factor in selling costs.

May 27, 2012 at 03:16 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Its not the 40D you need to get rid of - keep it as a backup. Its the 28-135 you need to get rid of, using such a modest zoom on a 5D3 is nearly a crime.

May 27, 2012 at 04:08 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

and also if you're selling 40D you will not get that much money... even if it comes with 28-135 [ this lens doesn't, have WOW factor IQ , it's only average].

keep your 40D... even if you buy 7D you won't get better IQ

May 28, 2012 at 01:13 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Jonathan Huynh wrote:
If images quality is important sell 40D, battery and lens 28-135IS.
5D III and 40D both are very difference camera of all aspect.

Amateur Photographer magazine listed 40D as most sellable 2nd hand Canon body a couple of weeks ago.
Niall

May 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

mmsean wrote:
Well I broke down and bought a 5D Mark III as I have a baby on the way and she's 1 month out. However now that I have a new camera, I'm perplexed, my questions are:

1. Whether I keep my 40D which is absolutely mint
  2. Sell it now
  3. Wait until the sell off frenzy stops and sell it in a couple months
  4. Also, do most buyers want the battery grip with the camera or seperately?
  5. Do I sell it with the 28-135IS lens that I have never used or seperately?

Not sure what to do, your suggestions would be great!

The 1.4X extender cost about the same as 40D market value. I would keep and use it as extender. For 1.6 crop, 40D IQ is the best i have seen...so why not keep it until it break. Beside it's no brainer since 40D is about 25 Mpixels on FF equivalent and the best 1.6 extender you can get

May 29, 2012 at 07:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mmsean
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Well I think I am going to need a wide angle so although I don't want to sell I think I may have to. Baby on the way and I think possibly a 17-40 might be the ticket

May 30, 2012 at 03:22 AM
mmsean
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. It's nice to still hear good things about this camera. I honestly wish that I was rich enough to keep all of my digital cameras on a shelf. I get quite attached to them. However baby is on the way and my widest lens is 24mm, so I need to find something wider.

Love this place!

May 31, 2012 at 05:08 AM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Considering what you could get now for a 40D, and the fact that the 40D makes for a very good backup (I absolutely regret selling mine when I bought my 5d2 last year) you should keep it!

May 31, 2012 at 06:24 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I bought a used one 3 month ago at a dealer with 2700 shutter releases as a backup. Price was 375 (same like 350 in $ compared in prices - not exchange). Wonderfull camera and worth any cent. But of course it is not a BACKUP in IQ and capabilities for my 5D II.

Sell it! If you wish to get it back, you will get it back. Cheaper and with fewer actuations every week later. A backup for a 5D II is another 5D II. Nothing else. I tested it out and a 40D is still a great camera that would be an emergency solution to shoot anything, if my 5D II would fail. But nothing else. IQ difference is so huge, I would never use a 40D again, if I am not forced to do shoot anyway.

If I would have purchased a 5D III and I would like it, there is no way to step back. If I would purchase a backup again, I would maybe keep my 5D 3. It might be a great backup for 5D III in IQ. But in nothing else. So if I NEED a backup to ensure my business, my question would be now, how I can make sure to get a 5D III how fast if needed.

Next to this any gear that is not loved and/or used is worthless and should be sold, imo.
I would never again keep, what I do not need/use. And concerning your question I guess, after 5D III you will never again use the 40D as long the 5D III does not break.

Ralph

Jun 01, 2012 at 12:14 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

40D samples: http://500px.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=40D

good enough data for post

Jun 01, 2012 at 04:25 AM
M Noonan

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I see from your profile that you have long lenses.
The 40d could be useful for the added reach and save purchasing a converter.

Jun 02, 2012 at 01:19 AM
mmsean
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Anyone know what the going price is for a 40D with around 4700 shutter count and mint?

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:58 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

mmsean wrote:
Anyone know what the going price is for a 40D with around 4700 shutter count and mint?

Check the Buy-n-Sell forum here on FM for pricing, you can check with KEH online sellers option, they will give you a lowball quote based on your honest take on it's condition/shape. Off the top of my head I'd say about $400-$500 with grip...I've seen them lower, below $400 tho.

Heck, even around $400 would get you a new 1.4x III T/C...if you could use or need one.
They make a good hand-me-down for a beginner...if you can't bare selling it for so little.

I'm keeping mine for now, the 7D Mark II whenever it comes out might make me think differently.
Best to you on deciding...
Jerry

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:35 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I would keep the 40D. I have a 40D as a backup to my 5D III.
you will not get much for 40D body - approx $400
sometimes I shoot both bodies and two different lenses

the image quality is good with the 40D. Unlike 7D it has clean ISO 100 for sky, etc.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:58 AM
mmsean
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Well sold the camera only that was mint with 4700 clicks on it to a 13 year old kid and his father for $375.00. I think he was happy and I was as well.

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:01 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password