Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Yongnuo vs Canon

maaatt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yongnuo vs Canon

I'm just starting off with wanting to get a flash to do more indoor shots and whatnot, but I'm not sure on spending upwards of ~$300 on a 430EX or a third of the cost on a Yongnuo 560 right now.

You guys have any words on the Yongnuo? It's a little cheaper and a bit lower on the scale of quality flashes.

May 12, 2012 at 05:46 PM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yongnuo vs Canon

i can't speak for the YN as I don't personally have one. Lots of good reviews and some bad ones too. If you are comfortable using manual only flash, look at the LumoPro 160. It is more than the YN, less than a 430, very easy to use , and as powerful as the 580EX. I have one and find that i use it more often than my 430 b/c is is much easier to set up.

-brian

May 13, 2012 at 02:15 AM
c2thew
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yongnuo vs Canon

way too many issues with bad capacitors on young nuo flashes. Their failure rate within a year is pretty high for a product. Probably in the range of 1 out of 10 are prone to failure. Canon has a much better product and is worth paying more for. The 430ex flash is good but slow in refresh rate. You would be better off with a 580ex mk1

May 14, 2012 at 06:38 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yongnuo vs Canon

c2thew wrote:
way too many issues with bad capacitors on young nuo flashes.

+1...I have three 580EX II's and all have performed 100% reliably under very stressful shooting. I recently purchased a manual Yongnuo (model 560 I think) as an ER back-up and for some remote camera operation. The first thing that I noticed is that the plastic housing feels inferior to the Canon...that would be indicative that everything else is of inferior quality as well. When I was looking to buy a used one (here on FM & on POTN) I came across several offers with broken or partially functioning units. In fact, one person sent me his broken 560 for free just for spare parts. Also, I have read a number of posts stating that the Yongnuo flash has failed within a year or so. I have no idea what the real-world percentage numbers are, but it seems to me that there is an extrememly small failure rate among the Canon OEM Speedlites and a higher rate among the Yongnuo's.

I'm sure lot's of people have purchased a Yongnuo flash and are happy with it...I'm not saying it's a bad value for the money, but it may not be good enough for critical shooting when you really can't be worrying about flash failure. Any flash can & will fail eventually but with my Canon's, I don't worry about it and I always have a back-up. If I only had Yongnuo's, then I'd be worried every time.

My 2 cents: If you shoot critically and need 100% reliability, then choose the real Canon...it's better quality all around. If you don't need such critical reliability or simply want an ER back-up, then the Yongnuo is probably a good cheap alternative.

HTH,
Omar

May 14, 2012 at 03:11 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yongnuo vs Canon

Never had a problem with any of my Yongnuo gear, and am considering getting a 565EX

May 14, 2012 at 04:10 PM
AlphaValues

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yongnuo vs Canon

I have a 580x2 that stays in my carry bag. It's nice having the ETTL features available, even I use it manual mode 80% of the time.

I have 8 of the YN560s. I don't really track which particular unit has been used more than any other, but typically I've been using all but one or two at a time. I have never had a failure. That said, I typically use them once or twice a week for about 400-500 shots at a time. I'm investing in proper strobes now, but I don't regret buying the Yn560s and I plan on using them for lighting effects even when I have my strobes setup. I've tripped the thermal breakers several times, and after removing the battery and letting them cool they go right back to working properly.

My experience has been that the YN560s are a little less than one stop less bright at a given output. I have not done proper tests with my lightmeter to verify this. Also, and perhaps related, batteries seem to last longer in the YN560s by about 20%.

May 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yongnuo vs Canon

c2thew wrote:
way too many issues with bad capacitors on young nuo flashes. Their failure rate within a year is pretty high for a product. Probably in the range of 1 out of 10 are prone to failure. Canon has a much better product and is worth paying more for. The 430ex flash is good but slow in refresh rate. You would be better off with a 580ex mk1

Source of stats please?

omarlyn wrote:
The first thing that I noticed is that the plastic housing feels inferior to the Canon...that would be indicative that everything else is of inferior quality as well....

AlienBees are made of a durable plastic while WhiteLightning housing is made of metal. Both have been rated excellent for years. The interior components seems to have held up well.

What you read from post on the internet is NOT always indicative of facts. People complain more than compliment. At the same time user errors is not accounted for.

May 16, 2012 at 04:29 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yongnuo vs Canon

YN560 is much cheaper than you thought. It's around USD60 in Taiwan, and even cheaper in China. I wouldn't complain if it only works for few years. New Canon flash is overpriced.

May 17, 2012 at 02:22 AM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yongnuo vs Canon

For what it's worth it will cost more to have the flash tube replaced in a 580ex or SB-900 than it costs to buy a yongnuo or triopo flash. I actually bought a handful of the imitation SB-900 Triopos and have been pleasantly surprised.

May 18, 2012 at 03:46 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yongnuo vs Canon

I'm a strobist so I picked up several YN460-IIs. So far they have been really reliable within the first year and offer almost as much power as the 430EXs as well as MUCH easier manual controls. While they don't support ETTL, I find that as a strobist, I don't need ETTL and if people knock over the flash, I'm not out USD$280 per flash but only out USD$40 per flash. If one breaks, I just chuck it and replace it. Yongnuo units seem to make for excellent disposable flashes for the performance that they offer. If you need more power, I wouldn't even suggest getting more speedlites, I would just graduate to the Paul C Buff equipment like the AB800 or if you want a LOT of power, an Einstein. Problem with the moonlights however are that they are much less portable and require the Vagabond portable power solution that they offer or a gas generator which will impact flexibility while shooting.

May 19, 2012 at 04:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yongnuo vs Canon

4 Triopo TR980's are fairly cheap at around $380 for all 4. Stick them in a lastolite quad bracket and you get a powerful very portable lighting solution that works of AA batteries. It's only a matter of time before these cheapo flashes get some sort of radio connectivity in them.

May 22, 2012 at 02:07 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yongnuo vs Canon

What's a "stobist"?

May 22, 2012 at 02:09 AM
ravisrajan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yongnuo vs Canon

cordellwillis wrote:
What's a "stobist"?

Stobist is popular website/blog for learning off flash photography ran by Mr. David Hobby, more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hobby &
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/02/welcome-to-strobist.html

May 22, 2012 at 02:47 AM
pKai
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yongnuo vs Canon

Try the Oloong 690. It does E-TTL and is as powerful as a 580. Runs about $150 on eBay. Have had one for a couple of months and no issues at all after a few thousand shots. It goes bang when asked to and E-TTL is dead-on -- just like a 580.

It comes with a retractable diffuser and bounce card and mine also came with a sto-fen-like bare-bulb attachment. Auto-zooms to 180mm where the 580 only goes to 105.

IMHO, the best shoe-mounted flash bang for the buck going today. They come in Nikon and Canon flavors.

May 24, 2012 at 07:04 PM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yongnuo vs Canon

The Triopo TR-980 is similar to the Oloong but a better build quality in my opinion. It's also $30 cheaper. It's a near identical replica of the SB-900.

May 24, 2012 at 11:56 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yongnuo vs Canon

So yeah, after further bad ETTL experiences, I'm selling the 430EX II and going all Yongnuo. I'm just getting too many inconsistent ETTL results as well as bad interface problems on the Canons that it's just not worth the hassle or cost anymore. I find it easier to use the Yongnuo flashes and it's pretty much idiot proof. ETTL tends to get in the way when shooting actively while with manual flashes, I can control how much light I get no matter where I am. ETTL also meters through the lens which sometimes isn't accurate enough to actually give you a good reading resulting in either overexposed or underexposed by at least 2 stops. I might as well meter with my own eyes and then dial it in to the flash. It's just much easier and faster.

Jun 12, 2012 at 01:59 AM
Tete
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yongnuo vs Canon

When I shot canon I used the YN565EX for a while. To be honest, I thought it was great and for the money it was even more impressive. I also used 2 x YN560's and they were rock solid. Built very well in my opinion. Mine had a metal footing and were very consistent.

Jun 12, 2012 at 02:07 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Yongnuo vs Canon

I have had 4 of the Yongnuo 460 II's. I burned out two of them right from the start. I eventually learned that they were actually just too good for their own good. They were capable of being fired so fast that they would burn themselves out. After I learned to take it easy with them, the remaining two turned out to be great flashes.

I will say, however, that I wouldn't trust them for "mission critical" photography. If your paycheck and your reputation are on the line, you might just want to get some brand name units and save Yongnuo for your backups. After having a 50% failure rate on mine, I always was a little suspicious of how long the remaining two were going to last. In fact, every time the batteries ran low, my heart always sank a bit because I suspected that they might be breaking. They just inspired paranoia despite the fact that I loved them.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:11 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Yongnuo vs Canon

whtrbt7 wrote:
So yeah, after further bad ETTL experiences, I'm selling the 430EX II and going all Yongnuo. I'm just getting too many inconsistent ETTL results as well as bad interface problems on the Canons that it's just not worth the hassle or cost anymore. I find it easier to use the Yongnuo flashes and it's pretty much idiot proof. ETTL tends to get in the way when shooting actively while with manual flashes, I can control how much light I get no matter where I am. ETTL also meters through the lens which sometimes isn't accurate enough to actually give you
...Show more

This is pretty much how it is. For all the fanciness and wizardry the camera makers are trying to sell you about TTL flash, it just doesn't work. It's still based off a reflective light meter which is rarely accurate. And TTL has no idea how YOU want to light the scene. The camera is deciding what the image is going to be, not you. Auto sounds great, but at the end of the day, and as you improve as a photographer, you'll discover that manual really is the only way to go with lighting. It works better, and you'll likely find it's even faster to setup. Save TTL for on camera flash.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Yongnuo vs Canon

cordellwillis wrote:
What's a "stobist"?

It was just some website started by a photojournalist who specialized in features that showed all his tricks for using shoe mount flashes in lieu of monolights. But apparently it's now a lifestyle choice.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password