Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2012 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

DavidWEGS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

all I can say is, holy cow.

Nothing short of amazing where you will stand to get a shot!

May 24, 2012 at 02:20 AM
jared_irl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

DavidWEGS wrote:
all I can say is, holy cow.

Nothing short of amazing where you will stand to get a shot!

I was actually laying across the skeeball barriers, so they could still roll the balls and play without hitting me... It was hilarious.

May 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM
codiac2600

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

Our studio is in love with our D800's. We recently switched every shooter to it and it's literally amazing in every aspect. I truly feel the colours are a million times better than the D700+D3's we'd had previously.

This is mighty impressive and I've still been tossing images this far gone but maybe I'll have to play!

May 24, 2012 at 08:18 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

You are a good candidate for the improved Auto ISO function of the D800.

May 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

WOW...

May 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Sp12
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

Shadow recovery basically is DR. You expose for your highlights and push in post.

May 26, 2012 at 04:42 AM
Sean Hoffman
• •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

Just don't try this with over-exposure. The D800 is much, much less forgiving than D3/D700 series.

May 29, 2012 at 07:27 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

Sean Hoffman wrote:
Just don't try this with over-exposure. The D800 is much, much less forgiving than D3/D700 series.

I've now read this a couple of times and I'm getting the urge to test it. Not saying I don't believe it... I just wanna see it

May 29, 2012 at 08:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

austriker
• •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

Sorry if I missed it, but was this shot in RAW or jpg ? I assume raw.. thanks

May 30, 2012 at 04:50 PM
jared_irl
• •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

austriker wrote:
Sorry if I missed it, but was this shot in RAW or jpg ? I assume raw.. thanks

raw all day.

May 31, 2012 at 06:37 PM
macrobild
• •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

deepbluejh wrote:
You do realize that an underexposed, then pushed shot will ALWAYS look worse than something natively shot at a higher ISO and exposed correctly - right?

D800 is almost iso less up to 1600iso, the difference between shooting at 1600iso and "expose correctly" or underexpose with 4 stops is small because of the short analog signal way to digitalization ,column wise ADC at the sensor edge and later correction of the digital signal in the raw converter. You can not do the same with a Canon because of longer analog signal path way and amplifier steps

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM
macrobild
• •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

Scott Clark wrote:
Very interesting...the Nikon shot has considerably less contrast than the Canon shot.

On the colors, if you haven't ever used a Colorchecker to make a custom profile for your Canon bodies you might want to give it a try...it made my 1Ds look like an entirely different camera. On a 40D the result was more subtle, but still very noticeable (mostly in the red and blue rendition). Well worth the hundred bucks.

First of all , you can not compare two cameras with out using the same profile, there are different contrast curves
etc etc. Try a Adobe Standard and Camera Neutral you se what I mean.
Regarding colors from Canon or Nikon, the profile decides most of the colors, Canon has a lighter color filter CFA
with little bit different colors and is better suited for lower color temperature 2800K, Nikon has a thicker/ steeper color filter and works better around day light 5500K
There are "more work" for the raw converter to correct the Canons colors in day light and vice versa , more work with Nikons colors and steeper CFA in 2800K
And if you are going to generate a own profile I suggest qp-card www.qpcard.com , easier, faster and better results regarding colors

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM
adimage
• •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

So, without reading the whole thread (I just went through the first page)...

Things (finally) go into the direction where the photographer is more important than the camera for customer. 5-10 years ago, good equipment was a primary condition to getting decent results. Back then, it was DSLRs vs old film cameras and point&shoots. Amateurs could not get anything near a decent photo (strictly technically speaking) when conditions were poor. Customers wanted nice looking images that were sharp, with good color, without too much noise, etc. These days, with this technology, anybody can get a technically decent image, even if the original exposure was not ok.

I am really hoping that we will get to the point where catching the right moment, with the right composition and framing will mater the most. Where vision will be more important than the technical capabilities of the equipment to produce a nice, sharp and noise-free image.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

sboerup wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but just to post an example of what I found very interesting with the D800. My initial thought of added DR over the 5D3 was shadow/highlight detail. But actually (this might not even be DR), the gradations in skin tones and mid tones is much smoother. I've always battled Canon files because of too much contrast sometimes.

Oh, and 'recovery' in LR actually does something with D800 files, not to mention the amazing shadow detail as posted in the OP.

Mind you the color is very different SOOC, but, they can both be processed similarly for WB
...Show more

You should really try 'neutral' picture style setting instead of 'standard' to avoid this kind of effect with 5D3.

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:44 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

mirkoc wrote:
You should really try 'neutral' picture style setting instead of 'standard'

Yes, "Standard" picture style is a little harsh. I know some Big Name photogs use Standard but I have always avoided it.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password