Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2012 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

ceesco53
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Lovely shots! My dream lens is a 24mm Tilt Shift. I'm not experienced enough at composition yet with the lenses I currently have to justify that price tag though. Anyhow, thanks for inspiring me. My favorite is the lady begging/praying with cup holding prayer beads. Speaks volumes to me.

Apr 24, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Mike Liu
• • •
p.5 #2 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Michael, great shots with the 24G. I really like your documentary style. Quick question for you. When you shoot from the hip so to speak, what's your autofocus technique since you're not using the viewfinder? Especially at wider apertures.

Apr 24, 2012 at 07:39 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.5 #3 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Post more I am going to Rome this summer and am taking my 24Lii. Keep up the inspiration I am getting excited.

Apr 24, 2012 at 07:52 PM
tc20

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

jerbear00 wrote:
Post more I am going to Rome this summer and am taking my 24Lii. Keep up the inspiration I am getting excited.

+1

Please do post more if possible. I'm really looking forward to getting a 24G

Apr 25, 2012 at 04:53 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.5 #5 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Mike Liu wrote:
Michael, great shots with the 24G. I really like your documentary style. Quick question for you. When you shoot from the hip so to speak, what's your autofocus technique since you're not using the viewfinder? Especially at wider apertures.

Thanks Michael,
before I left to Italy, once a week I would stroll the streets of downtown Miami practicing shooting from the hip. After a while it becomes second nature (as far as composition goes).
For focusing I use the focus button instead of the shutter release method. Non of the shots were taken at anything over F2, most were between 1.6-1.8 and for the most part I would nail the focus everytime.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Mike Liu
• • •
p.5 #6 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

very cool and impressive. do you use single focus point even for shooting from the hip?

Apr 25, 2012 at 02:27 PM
MysticPix43
• •
p.5 #7 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

These are incredible photos. My only complaint is that, Damn, they make me want to go back! I wonder how many folks know that the fellow in your "Vendor" image is selling counterfeit knock-offs. It is both illegal for these guys to sell and for people to buy items from them--both can be arrested. These sellers scurry away as soon as they see any police around.
What camera was your 24mm mounted on? All are fabulous shots. I wouldn't want to be forced to pick a favorite, but I especially like the artist and the church interior with its low-to-the-floor perspective.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.5 #8 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Mike Liu wrote:
very cool and impressive. do you use single focus point even for shooting from the hip?

Thanks Mike
When shooting from the hip I have gotten better results using the center focus point with dynamic 9 points continuous

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.5 #9 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Thanks Mystic and yes I would watch the vendors take off whenever the police would come around
Very amusing to watch

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.5 #10 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

these are great shots!!

Apr 27, 2012 at 03:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

markhout
• •
p.5 #11 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

What is like most of these shots is how you balance warm and cold light. That's what give depth to some of these images.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Birdbrooks

p.5 #12 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

What a great testament to the philosophy of controlling your "palette" by utilizing one great lens for so many intriguing and memorable shots! I remember years ago in college, a great art professor stressed to me the importance of not loading two many colors onto my palette... it would confuse the creative process, while mixing with fewer primary colors would free up the process.

One question about some of the subjects with whom you were able to approach so closely; did you need to ask permission for those shots, or were you sometimes able to get them surreptitiously? That is something that keeps me from getting some desirable shots at times.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:37 PM
RKnecht
• • •
p.5 #13 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Fantastic set!

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:51 PM
fyffem

p.5 #14 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Just, WOW. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.5 #15 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Birdbrooks wrote:
What a great testament to the philosophy of controlling your "palette" by utilizing one great lens for so many intriguing and memorable shots! I remember years ago in college, a great art professor stressed to me the importance of not loading two many colors onto my palette... it would confuse the creative process, while mixing with fewer primary colors would free up the process.

One question about some of the subjects with whom you were able to approach so closely; did you need to ask permission for those shots, or were you sometimes able to get them surreptitiously? That is
...Show more

Birdbrooks, for the subjects that are in the pics, I never asked I pretty much shot from the hip. This way their attention is never taken away from their activity and the shot looks natural.
hope that made sense.

Oh, and I agree about having too many colors on the palette. I took 3 lenses but early on the trip I decided to concentrate on just shooting with the 24 and believe it or not it was the most fun I've had shooting on a trip.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:12 PM
dpart

p.5 #16 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

These are great! Great choice on eliminating the distraction of lens changes and just focus on making great images.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Astragony
• •
p.5 #17 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

really nice, I live in Rome and I often times fail to grasp the beauty of it.

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:39 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.5 #18 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

These all showcase what a great photographer you are.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Donzo98
• • •
p.5 #19 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Insanely good... but would not expect anything less from you

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM
noirist

p.5 #20 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Nice pictures!

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:54 PM