Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

retro99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Awesome shots!!!!!! What camera are you using

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:38 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Creative Edge wrote:
You will find that it is as challenging as getting a good shot with a SuperTele.
A couple of weeks before I left for Italy, I grabbed the D700 and 24 1.4, went out to Downtown Miami and took some practice shots. That's when the love affair with the 24 started....
If you want to try out the 24, you are in Weston which is very close to me....

I'm sure it is just as challenging, if not more since positioning is more critical. That's probably why I've stuck to the easy stuff so far.

I'm no longer in Weston, by the way. I'm in Miami, on Biscayne Boulevard near NE 48th Street. I'd love to meet up and go shoot together sometime. Wide or long, your choice.

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:06 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.4 #3 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

No problem, definately lets set up a day to shoot..

Apr 19, 2012 at 03:19 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.4 #4 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

retro99 wrote:
Awesome shots!!!!!! What camera are you using

thanks ..and I used a D700

Apr 19, 2012 at 03:20 PM
miketerror

p.4 #5 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

@Creative Edge - These are some really inspiring and beautiful photos!! I've only been shooting for less than a year and can only hope to develop that kind of eye and talent when composing photos. Truly an inspiration!

I currently have the D7K and have the 35mm 1.8G DX and 17-55mm 2.8 DX. I took them with me to a trip to NYC for a vacation and can't get anything close to the photos you were able to capture. The find that I have a lot of trouble with capturing candid shots because I'm afraid to be in someone's face or having them know that a stranger is taking a photo of them. If you have any tips for a beginner, shoot them this way!

I'm also very new to post processing as well. What kind of post processing is the most common that is usually done to the photos? Your shots all look like the type that are pulled straight out of a magazine. I've always been a bit naive thinking that the beautiful photos I see from photographer's blog looked the way they do straight out of their DSLR with no processing or photoshop done.

Apr 19, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

miketerror wrote:
I'm also very new to post processing as well. What kind of post processing is the most common that is usually done to the photos? Your shots all look like the type that are pulled straight out of a magazine. I've always been a bit naive thinking that the beautiful photos I see from photographer's blog looked the way they do straight out of their DSLR with no processing or photoshop done.

Uh, no.

All film must be developed, then printed. In the same way, your digital images must be "developed" and then adapted to the output medium. Post-processing is part of the, ahem, process. A number of corrections are done along the way, and there are also manipulations you can make to change what was on the negative itself. The question is not whether or not to process -- you always process your images if you want good quality -- but how radical are the changes you are willing to make. Some shooters prefer to change nothing but color, contrast, curves, and so on, while others will dramatically change the appearance of someone's weight, or add a missing tooth, or change out the sky, or whatever. I know of one photographer who doesn't even use the victim's (sorry, subject's) real eyes!

You need to learn your own preferences in post-processing, and build your skills as well. But you need to do both, so you'll know what it is that you are willing to do and interested in doing, and then how to execute it well.

No hijacking intended. And welcome to FM, Mike.

Apr 19, 2012 at 06:31 PM
weissj
• • •
p.4 #7 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Really wonderful shots! If you don't mind me asking, what sort of aperture were you using, eg, for the man on his knees at the altar and the homeless person crouched down? I love how sharp they are.

Apr 19, 2012 at 06:33 PM
miketerror

p.4 #8 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Uh, no.

All film must be developed, then printed. In the same way, your digital images must be "developed" and then adapted to the output medium. Post-processing is part of the, ahem, process. A number of corrections are done along the way, and there are also manipulations you can make to change what was on the negative itself. The question is not whether or not to process -- you always process your images if you want good quality -- but how radical are the changes you are willing to make. Some shooters prefer to change nothing but color, contrast,
...Show more

Rodolfo Paiz, Thank you for the clarification on PP! I'm trying to read and teach myself more through trial and error and I wish someone explained this to me sooner. I've always thought that any editing that needed to be done was only to compensate for not taking the picture correctly straight out of the camera the first time, such as exposure, color, cropping, etc. I'm glad this isn't the case because I've always compared my own photos versus a lot of the photos I see here or on blogs and wonder why I can't get that type of "look". So I guess Post Processing is another skill of photography that must be learned and as well. It would be nice to see the pros post their photos SOOC compared to the completed finished version to get an idea of possible transformations.

Sorry OP if my questions are cluttering your thread!

Apr 19, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.4 #9 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Mike,
welcome to FM and I could not have said it better than Rodolfo (he has a way with words).
Back in the film days I had my own darkroom and I consider post processing the equivalent of my dark room days where I would spend hours trying to perfect a print.
You will find that the folks on FM are not only extremely knowledgeable but also extremely eager to share that knowledge.

Apr 19, 2012 at 09:10 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.4 #10 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

weissj wrote:
Really wonderful shots! If you don't mind me asking, what sort of aperture were you using, eg, for the man on his knees at the altar and the homeless person crouched down? I love how sharp they are.

the man praying was taken at 1.4 as it was very dark in that setting.
The woman praying was taken at 1.8.
I rarely use the 24 stopped down past f2 unless I want greater depth of field. most of the time I shoot it from 1.6-1.8 for the separation it gives.
The IQ on this lens even wide open is extremely impressive.

Apr 19, 2012 at 09:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

miketerror

p.4 #11 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Creative Edge wrote:
Mike,
welcome to FM and I could not have said it better than Rodolfo (he has a way with words).
Back in the film days I had my own darkroom and I consider post processing the equivalent of my dark room days where I would spend hours trying to perfect a print.
You will find that the folks on FM are not only extremely knowledgeable but also extremely eager to share that knowledge.

Thanks OP, since I'm new to photography, I wasn't familiar with the popular FM community, and was only browsing the "Nikonian" forum. I'm enjoying the FM community very very much here.

Back on topic , how did you shoot the photo of the woman praying? It seems like it was shot with the camera on the floor. If that is the case, how would you know where the camera was focusing on without looking through the viewfinder.

Apr 19, 2012 at 09:55 PM
cope07
• •
p.4 #12 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

To the OP:
Was the Francesco's Basilica shot with a Polarizer + tweaked to a warmer White Balance

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM
LittleTino

p.4 #13 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Great images! This thread is getting me rev'ed up for my trip to France in June. If only I had my24G when I was in Rome three years ago.

Apr 20, 2012 at 02:49 PM
OneLightStand

p.4 #14 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Awesome shots and incredible bravery to take only one lens to such a gorgeous venue!

Curious: did you every think "Damn...I wish I had my ____" instead of the 24?

Apr 23, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.4 #15 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

OneLightStand wrote:
Awesome shots and incredible bravery to take only one lens to such a gorgeous venue!

Curious: did you every think "Damn...I wish I had my ____" instead of the 24?

I actually had 3 other lenses but only used the 24
Next time I will really travel light and only packt he D800 and 24

Apr 23, 2012 at 03:52 PM
onaujee
• • •
p.4 #16 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

very nice!!! excellent compositions and love the variety

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.4 #17 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Hi Michael,

Four pages of comments!!! I guess that tells you something about the quality of your work. These are fantastic. Street photography can be a lot of fun and using one lens makes you see things and look for shots that you may have missed if you had a zoom and a bag of lenses. I've become a big fan of the smaller lighter setup and shooting in the 35mm range. Next thing you know you'll have a Leica M9 and a few nice small lenses Thanks for posting these I enjoyed them. All the best.

Jack

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.4 #18 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

What camera? The EXIF is stripped on the images I tried it on.

Apr 24, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.4 #19 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

thanks Onaujee
Jack thanks..My light set up for travel is the D800 and 24 1.4...

Dave these were taken with the D700

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:06 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.4 #20 · Italy with one lens 24mm 1.4

Great camera, there may be one in my future if they ever get them in stock again.

Apr 24, 2012 at 05:05 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password