Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              35      
       37              71       72       end

f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

JaKo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.36 #1 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

sebboh, it's always a please to see your work, even crapping birds
jamgolf, thank you for sharing rare images of Noct-Nikkor.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:33 AM
vdodan

p.36 #2 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

I`m new here but I`ve been reading the ALT part of the forum for the past 2 months.

I haven`t seen much love towards the Canon FL 58mm f/1.2, especially on the NEX line.

Can anyone do an objective comparison between this one and the Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

I'm in the market for some fast lenses and the 58mm Rokkor caught my eye, and I`ve recently came upon some classifieds for Canon 58mm 1.2s for almost half the price of the Minoltas.

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:21 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.36 #3 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

vdodan wrote:
I`m new here but I`ve been reading the ALT part of the forum for the past 2 months.

I haven`t seen much love towards the Canon FL 58mm f/1.2, especially on the NEX line.

Can anyone do an objective comparison between this one and the Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

I'm in the market for some fast lenses and the 58mm Rokkor caught my eye, and I`ve recently came upon some classifieds for Canon 58mm 1.2s for almost half the price of the Minoltas.

i'm not aware of anyone here that has used the canon FL 58/1.2 other than bifurcator and Jim Bachanan, who i believe just converted the lens for somebody else. if you plan on ever using the lens on a dslr i'd recommend against the canon 58mm just because it is supposed to be extremely difficult to convert.

according to bif the canon 58mm is very sharp and has similar bokeh to the rokkor (i don't see this similarity in his pictures personally).

if you are looking for sharpness, i know the canon FL 55/1.2 is sharper than the rokkor and also half the price of the rokkor as well as being easier to convert to other mounts than the FL 58mm.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:35 PM
kezeka
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.36 #4 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Not alt glass but i'll throw my hat into this topic. All of these are with the Canon 85L. Just picked up a 50L this week and haven't had the opportunity to take some worthwhile photos with it but I really enjoy the way it renders. Should make for an awesome street/walk around/travel/general lens since it is so light.

I genuinely love shooting the 85L wide open for the circular bokeh in the background. I have thought of picking up some of these alt manual focus lenses but my vision needs a correction that is too strong to correct with the built in diopter adjustments so unless I wear contacts (which isn't going to happen) manually focusing just is not something I can manage.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:04 PM
vdodan

p.36 #5 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

@sebboh

Duly noted.

I recently (1/2 year ago) downsized from a ton of Nikon FF equipment towards a Leica M (240) but waiting for Solms to actually produce one I stumbled upon a Nex-6 and I kinda like it so far, I just miss fast glass. Until Sony pushes out the Nex FF, I`ll try to stock up on whatever "legendary" glass I can find. (Speed Boosters and / or Lens Turbos included for this -hopefully short - ride)

The 58mm 1.2 Rokkor was one of the first on the list, mainly due to my lust for the Noct Nikkor that I never had. And after what beautiful images I`ve seen posted by yourself and the other gents produced with the help of the 1.2 Rokkor, I fell madly in love with it.

As I know myself I`ll probably end up buying both the 55 FD and the 58 MD, but I would rather avoid buying them all at once mainly because none of them would get the deserved attention.

I have no particular intention of moving to a dSLR ever again, and I`m guessing the market is going to shift in that direction as well in the next coming years. However I would jump on a proper 6x6 digital medium format if one of the companies decides to ever produce a back to such specifications.

Canon 58mm f/1.2 was just moved to the bottom of the list.

All I need now is a fast 28-35mm and so far I`m not to impressed by the Voigtlander 1.2s rendering.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.36 #6 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

vdodan wrote:
@sebboh

Duly noted.

I recently (1/2 year ago) downsized from a ton of Nikon FF equipment towards a Leica M (240) but waiting for Solms to actually produce one I stumbled upon a Nex-6 and I kinda like it so far, I just miss fast glass. Until Sony pushes out the Nex FF, I`ll try to stock up on whatever "legendary" glass I can find. (Speed Boosters and / or Lens Turbos included for this -hopefully short - ride)

The 58mm 1.2 Rokkor was one of the first on the list, mainly due to my lust for the Noct Nikkor that I never
...Show more
have a look here:
http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138:adorable-35s-35mm-speed-lens-comparison-leica-slr-magic-mitakon-canon-speedbooster-samyang&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:55 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.36 #7 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Couple of first snaps with OM-D E-M5 + Minolta MD 50mm 1.2

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:01 PM
CalBoy87
• •
p.36 #8 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Nikkor 50/1.2 AIS on Canon 5DMKII

Edited on Mar 01, 2014 at 12:42 AM · View previous versions

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:33 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.36 #9 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

JaKo wrote:

thanks! some more birds for you, all with the rokkor 58/1.2, went a little crazy chasing this egret around:

May 01, 2013 at 01:53 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.36 #10 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

The third one is especially nice.

May 01, 2013 at 03:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

justruss
• • • •
p.36 #11 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Interestingly, I find the 1st egret shot a perfect example of where dof is just right for the image. And the last egret shot an example of where more dof would dramatically improve the image.

That first once is really quite beautiful. (At least at web-viewing size.)

May 01, 2013 at 04:51 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.36 #12 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

For me, I prefer #3 simply because it is a bit more of an 'environmental' shot, which I am a fan of. The others are very nice as well, well done at only 58mm (x1.5 I suppose) and even better considering they are wide open.

May 01, 2013 at 05:06 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.36 #13 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Pen F 1.2

May 01, 2013 at 06:03 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.36 #14 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

justruss wrote:
Interestingly, I find the 1st egret shot a perfect example of where dof is just right for the image. And the last egret shot an example of where more dof would dramatically improve the image.

That first once is really quite beautiful. (At least at web-viewing size.)

thanks, the first one is probably my favorite as well. i really like how the waves and water came out. it holds up pretty well to enlargement (considering it's f/1.2 on aps-c). you can view it bigger here.

helimat wrote:
For me, I prefer #3 simply because it is a bit more of an 'environmental' shot, which I am a fan of. The others are very nice as well, well done at only 58mm (x1.5 I suppose) and even better considering they are wide open.

thanks, i really like how much separation i got while still showing both the ocean and bokeh funk. i get pretty bored of sharp birds against unrecognizable backgrounds.

May 01, 2013 at 06:20 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.36 #15 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

sebboh wrote:
thanks, i really like how much separation i got while still showing both the ocean and bokeh funk. i get pretty bored of sharp birds against unrecognizable backgrounds.

Me too. Those types of photos are great for a bird book, or bird thread but when the environment is included I think it would make a better print. IMO anyways

May 03, 2013 at 01:17 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.36 #16 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

glamor portrait:

rokkor 58/1.2

had to pull this one back a couple stops in post since i didn't have a ND filter.

May 06, 2013 at 06:46 AM
LeadyGonzales
• •
p.36 #17 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

May 06, 2013 at 06:35 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.36 #18 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

JaKo wrote:

sebboh wrote:
thanks! some more birds for you, all with the rokkor 58/1.2, went a little crazy chasing this egret around

Really nice set sebboh. You perfectly nailed focus on these skinny legged models even at f/1.2!

May 06, 2013 at 08:04 PM
briantho
• • •
p.36 #19 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

A few portraits with the FD85/1.2

Cecilia by briantho, on Flickr

Isabelle by briantho, on Flickr

Some experimenting with Silver FX...

May 09, 2013 at 07:01 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.36 #20 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

I lost my phone up here (at least it's a cheapo one) while trying to do some astrophotography (ended up too cloudy to see any star). Came back today to look for it but no luck .

A99 + Contax 55/1.2

May 11, 2013 at 02:19 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password