Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              32      
       34              70       71       end

f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #1 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Ulff wrote:
Great images btw. Phillip, especially the first and last one. Why do you use the lens usually stopped down? There are other, cheaper and better lenses for stopping down IMO. What makes the lens special is the wide open bokeh (artistic) and the bokeh at f2.0 (creamy).

i also use mine mostly stopped down and actually have never found a normalish lens that i like as much stopped down. even at f/4 and f/5.6 the rokkor has a special look.

Mar 18, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.33 #2 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Ulff wrote:
Great images btw. Phillip, especially the first and last one. Why do you use the lens usually stopped down? There are other, cheaper and better lenses for stopping down IMO. What makes the lens special is the wide open bokeh (artistic) and the bokeh at f2.0 (creamy).

i am not really into artistic bokeh and prefer creamy bokh, so i use it @f/2 most often

@sebboh
once they are stopped down, do you see a difference between the 58/1.2 and the 50/1.4 Minolta MC?

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:04 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.33 #3 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Phillip Reeve wrote:
i am not really into artistic bokeh and prefer creamy bokh, so i use it @f/2 most often

@sebboh
once they are stopped down, do you see a difference between the 58/1.2 and the 50/1.4 Minolta MC?

yeah, but it's subtle. the corners on the f/1.4 have more vignetting and a little more funkiness (especially on FF). also, i really hate those hexagons from the f/1.4 from f/2.8-f/8. overall the details seem less harsh without losing detail on the f/1.2. it's weird too, on my NEX-3 the 50/1.4 definitely looked sharper but on the NEX-7 it seems like the f/1.2 actually does better for super fine detail (both will show moire at f/2 or smaller though). so now i'm not really sure which is sharper. probably has more to do with contrast at different frequencies than actual resolution.

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:21 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.33 #4 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

As an aside, seems like the Rokkor 58/1.2 is the culprit for >33% of the shots submitted. Someone here mentioned that the design was similar to the NOCT Nikkor. Anyone know how it differs in performance? Does it also have a hand-ground aspherical element?

I saw an AI version of the NOCT listed at Adorama for $4500, something like 7-fold more expensive that the Rokkor.

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:35 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.33 #5 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

f.hayek wrote:
As an aside, seems like the Rokkor 58/1.2 is the culprit for >33% of the shots submitted. Someone here mentioned that the design was similar to the NOCT Nikkor. Anyone know how it differs in performance? Does it also have a hand-ground aspherical element?

I saw an AI version of the NOCT listed at Adorama for $4500, something like 7-fold more expensive that the Rokkor.

lens diagrams are very similar, but so are pretty much all double gauss f/1.2 lenses. the rokkor has no asph elements. from everything i've seen and read about the noct it should have much better wide open coma control and less ghosting due to SA. the rokkor should have sharper edges wide open, not sure which will be sharper in the center. i believe the rokkor should be sharper across the frame stopped down though.

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.33 #6 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

sebboh wrote:
i really hate those hexagons from the f/1.4 from f/2.8-f/8.

me too! any update on that transplantation of your 58/1.4's auto aperture blades into the 50/1.4?
I just got a Sony 50/1.8, it will be interesting to see how it compares with my other 50mm lenses

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:26 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.33 #7 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Phillip Reeve wrote:
me too! any update on that transplantation of your 58/1.4's auto aperture blades into the 50/1.4?
I just got a Sony 50/1.8, it will be interesting to see how it compares with my other 50mm lenses

it's possible to do, but requires a little shaving of the ring that holds the 58/1.4 iris. i didn't bother finishing it because i decided to look for something with more than 8 blades and then got busy with other stuff.

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:32 PM
LeadyGonzales
• •
p.33 #8 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

It would be a dream to exchange 6-blade apertures agains others .... i would love to do that in my MD Rokkor 50mm 1.2 ..

Below a comparison between PenF 42mm and MD Rokkor 50mm 1.2 with Speed Booster on NEX-6..

- L.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.33 #9 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

rokkor 58

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.33 #10 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

some more rokkor 1.2

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #11 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

sebboh wrote:
i also use mine mostly stopped down and actually have never found a normalish lens that i like as much stopped down. even at f/4 and f/5.6 the rokkor has a special look.

+1. I only use it wide open when I want to let it have its way with the available light.

A repost from the pano-mania thread with the 58.

Edited on Mar 20, 2013 at 03:35 AM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:05 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.33 #12 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Wonderful blossoms, Mike.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:34 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.33 #13 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Thanks It was nice to see Rhodies out early

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:40 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.33 #14 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

I'm looking forward to spring, more snow here in Mass yesterday

Over the weekend I took out the 85L on a Nex 5N with a Deo-Tech EF-Nex AF adapter. Cheaper that the Metabones but more to the point in stock. I kept it in manual, here are a couple WO. It reports 1.3. I meant to check if the blades did shut down a fraction or if it's just a firmware issue

Mike

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.33 #15 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Nervous & relaxed; a very moody lens.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.33 #16 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

what adaptor is needed to use a Pen 42 1.2 on a nex? thanks joanlvh

Voigt 35 1.2

Edited on Mar 21, 2013 at 08:25 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:13 AM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.33 #17 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

JaKo wrote:
zhangyue: Ha, you recognize it! Why I am not surprised
I am into single ended, 300B triodes based analog audio so manual focus, alt lenses are natural choice for me. Funny, I got into DSLR two years ago just to get macro shots of my cartridges.

mighty fine taste there.

actually the money I got from selling my Rokkor 58/1.2 eventually went into a thorens. life is full of expensive lessons I guess, my eventual replacement is probably going to be the f1.0 noctilux. If anyone wants to sell me one at 1995 prices please pm me

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:14 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.33 #18 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

joanlvh wrote:
what adaptor is needed to use a Pen 42 1.2 on a nex? thanks joanlvh

There are quite a few Pen F to NEX adapters available. I have the Fotodiox shown here at Amazon and it's good.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:24 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.33 #19 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

redisburning wrote: the money I got from selling my Rokkor 58/1.2 eventually went into a thorens. life is full of expensive lessons I guess...

Not of you got TD124 in a good shape!

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:04 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.33 #20 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

thanks, Freaklikeme

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:40 AM
       34              70       71       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell