Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Camera Plate

dan7768s

Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · 5D III Camera Plate

I've just got received my 5D3 RRS L bracket. It fits like it is part of the camera, solid as can be. I've had Kirk plates for other cameras before and they are really good too so I sure you will be happy with it. But now that I have the RRS L bracket I think the talk about them not fitting properly just isn't the case in practice.

May 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · 5D III Camera Plate

dan7768s wrote:
I've just got received my 5D3 RRS L bracket. It fits like it is part of the camera, solid as can be. I've had Kirk plates for other cameras before and they are really good too so I sure you will be happy with it. But now that I have the RRS L bracket I think the talk about them not fitting properly just isn't the case in practice.

Dan,
I could not be happier that RRS has "squared away" this plate. My Kirk will be here today along with the 5DMK3.
RRS are fine people to deal with but sorry it took them so long to get it right.
Good Luck!
Dan

May 15, 2012 at 01:49 PM
swldstn
• •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · 5D III Camera Plate

Got the Kirk. Fits great. Highly recommend.

May 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · 5D III Camera Plate

I like RRS as well. But had to get the Kirk due to time issues. It fits well. Just wish they had put in those little anti-slip stops (or whatever you call them)....just in case

May 16, 2012 at 02:06 AM
Stunnaz
• • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · 5D III Camera Plate

I received my Kirk plate today. I was not expecting it so quickly as I placed my order only a couple of days ago, and it was listed as pre-order on their site.

Like you guys said, it's a perfect fit. No problems at all. Compared to my RRS 5D2 plate the design is slightly different, but the overall camera size is the same and they both serve the same purpose. The finish is identical.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, but Kirk will get my vote as they're shipping right now.

Thanks guys.

May 17, 2012 at 04:27 AM
markymarc
• •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · 5D III Camera Plate

Sorry to re-hash this. But for the folks with the Kirk plate AND who have a RRS BH-40 QR ballhead, are there any tight fit issues I should be concerned about?

Anybody still unhappy with the latest Rev A or Rev A (prime) from RRS?

L-bracket for a non-grip 5d iii that is.

Thanks!

May 18, 2012 at 08:57 PM
RileyJoseph
• •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · 5D III Camera Plate

I received my Rev 'A' L-plate from RRS this week. It fits perfectly and doesn't leave any marks on my 5Dmk3. I was annoyed about how long it took the plates to come out and be shipped.. as I ordered mine well over a month ago. But I am glad it is here and it fits.

May 19, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · 5D III Camera Plate

Stunnaz wrote:
I received my Kirk plate today. I was not expecting it so quickly as I placed my order only a couple of days ago, and it was listed as pre-order on their site.

Like you guys said, it's a perfect fit. No problems at all. Compared to my RRS 5D2 plate the design is slightly different, but the overall camera size is the same and they both serve the same purpose. The finish is identical.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, but Kirk will get my vote as they're shipping right now.

Thanks guys.

DITTO! I am a RRS guy but ordered the Kirk instead and could not be happier! Now I have an alternative for plates and with B&H and Adorama o/s on the 5DMK3 got mine as fast or faster with ProFeel and no s&h charge! You can preorder garunteed w/ PayPal(Invoice for payment sent when arrives at ProFeel not pay b4 you can order) instead of tying up your credit card until shipped.
Dan

May 19, 2012 at 04:52 PM
cheem
• •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · 5D III Camera Plate

I am going to order the Kirk PZ-148 (non-L) and the Kirk L bracket from B&H once they get them in stock as I am in Canada and the border/customs gong show is better through B&H since their price is the price.

I rejected the RRS L bracket (Rev. A) order when it arrived as I didn't like the look of the step and the Kirk has the added advantage of being able to slide farther away from the camera body for cable space when tethering.

May 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark Booth
• • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · 5D III Camera Plate

I know I'm dredging up an old topic but, after reading every post, I've just got to say how completely disappointed I am with Really Right Stuff. I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on RRS gear. Everything I've ever purchased from them has been designed to perfection. Every item fit like a glove. The stuff was so well-designed it was downright sexy.

So how on earth did RRS go from design after design of glove-like fitting camera plates with beautifully radiused curves that gently cradle the camera perfectly with zero chance of camera marring, to its 5D Mark III design with an abundance of hard angles, flat anti-twist edges, and nary a radiused camera-hugging curve in sight?

Worse, my personal communication with RRS reveals a company that seems oblivious to the fact that elegance in design seems to have escaped them with the release of their 5D Mark III camera plate and L bracket.

Sure, the Rev A version may very well be perfectly functional. It may very well fit the camera without marring the camera body. But all photographic evidence points to a product that does NOT fit the camera in the same pleasantly perfect body-hugging way that we saw with so many previous designs.

I noticed that the designer, Matt, from RRS only posted a total of 6 messages on this forum. It makes me wonder if he got fired.

At any rate, I am extremely saddened that a company that I once revered as the best of the best—a company that was the epitome of design perfection—has released a product that is so, well, ordinary.

Worse, they seem completely happy with that.

Mark

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:17 AM
Marco
• • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · 5D III Camera Plate

+1

Totally agree with Mark.
It's beyond me how a company like RRS which always released great-looking products could design such an ordinary plate...

I still have the L-plate for my previous Nikon D3 and its design is as smooth as can be. What's going on?...

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:03 AM
cheem
• •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · 5D III Camera Plate

I ended up going for the Kirk Non-L after having owned the RRS L-bracket on my 40D for four years. I selected the Kirk based on this thread and the smooth round cradle that touches the camera. It has been solid as a rock and I have had a handstrap affixed to it for the past six + months.

I returned the RRS L-bracket (Rev.A) as they did not address the steps on the part that hugs the body.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM
jasonsim
• • •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · 5D III Camera Plate

In my case I got tired of getting strung along by RRS: "you are on the list, just another few weeks". Meanwhile I'd already been waiting 6 weeks. So decided to get a Kirk L plate and glad that I did. I have a Kirk for my 7D, so no stranger to their quality design and product. The Kirk L bracket for the 5D III fits like a glove, is innovative in its design and feels very secure.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Mark Booth
• • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · 5D III Camera Plate

I always have a neck strap on my camera. Conversely, I only use an L bracket when I know I'm going to be needing it (meaning, when I'm also carrying my tripod). That's maybe 5-10% of the time. So, I would have gone with a Kirk L bracket but I wrote them and they confirmed that their L bracket doesn't allow enough clearance for a neck strap to remain attached to the camera's left lug. In order to use the Kirk L bracket, I'd need to remove the neck strap from the camera lug and move it to the Kirk-supplied lug each and every time I attached the Kirk L bracket. And vice-versa when I removed the Kirk L bracket. Too much fiddling around, particularly since my neck strap of choice is the Optech Pro strap with Pro Loops. The Pro Loops are significantly more hassle to remove and reattach.

Once an email to Really Right Stuff confirmed that their Rev A is their final design as far as the 5D Mark III is concerned, I ultimately decided to give my business to PromediaGear. My new L bracket shipped this morning and I anxiously await its arrival.

Should the day ever come that the folks at RRS come to their senses and release a 5D Mark III design with radiused camera-hugging curves that is of the same quality and beauty as their previous efforts, I will consider supporting that decision by once again giving them my business. But, based on the response I received to my email enquiry, I'm left dumbfounded how the "Ferrari" of camera gear seems completely satisfied putting out a Ford Pinto.

Mark

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:52 PM
• •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · 5D III Camera Plate

I also own Kirk L-bracket for 5D III and Op/Tech Pro strap with Pro Loops. It takes me whole 15 seconds to take off loop from left lug and another 15 to put it back. Now, if you do that 15 times a day I can see how it can be considered "too much fiddling", but if you do it once or twice ...

What I don't like is that you need two Allen wrenches to mount or dismount Kirk bracket. One for bottom screw, and, another, smaller one, for side screw. Older brackets (like for 20D) used same wrench.

BTW, I do agree that Kirk bracket fits 5D III like glove, and with two attachment points it's as secure and sturdy as they come.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:04 PM
Marco
• • •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · 5D III Camera Plate

Good point about the need to detach the strap.
Indeed I'd prefer myself an always-on solution for the strap, since I use a Tamrac model with fast clips to quickly remove the strap for tripod use, without the need to detach the joins to the camera.

Mark, please let us know how Promediagear will work for you. Thanks!

Marco

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · 5D III Camera Plate

Does the Kirk work with the RRS lever QR system?

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:41 PM
cheem
• •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · 5D III Camera Plate

Beni wrote:
Does the Kirk work with the RRS lever QR system?

The Non-L version fits a RRS QR clamp like a glove - no slippage. I don't own the L-bracket so I can't speak to that.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password