Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15      
       17       18       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Camera Plate

dadagallery
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #1 · 5D III Camera Plate

New L-Plate from RRS fits like a glove and looks great. Glad I waited for the refit.

May 08, 2012 at 05:58 PM
ahendarman

Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #2 · 5D III Camera Plate

arbitrage wrote:
Oops, so if anyone does get the Kirk L-Plate I'd love to see a pic.

My Kirk L-Plate just shipped and will be here on Thursday. I will post pics then unless someone else does it first.

May 08, 2012 at 09:02 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.16 #3 · 5D III Camera Plate

dadagallery wrote:
New L-Plate from RRS fits like a glove and looks great. Glad I waited for the refit.

Could you post some pics please?
Thanks!
Dan

May 08, 2012 at 09:12 PM
glenn_pet

p.16 #4 · 5D III Camera Plate

Tracking says my RRS 5D3 L-Plate will arrive tomorrow. Anxious to see the fit, expecting it to be ok, but time will tell...will update once it arrives.

May 08, 2012 at 09:30 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.16 #5 · 5D III Camera Plate

I got the Kirk L plate today. I put it on the 5D3 quickly and then mounted it on my Arca Swiss Monoball Z. Looks fine to me. Firm and tight. The only thing that might bother somebody is the left camera strap eyelet is not accessible once the L plate is on (i.e. you cannot thread anything through it) - so you have to screw in that "eyelet" thinggy that comes with the Kirk bracket - just go to their website to see what I mean.

Here are a few pictures:

May 08, 2012 at 09:38 PM
jasonsim
• • •
p.16 #6 · 5D III Camera Plate

Yep...got my Kirk L bracket today and it fits like a glove...really molded to it. Kirk really outdid themselves this time around. I was not impressed with their 5D MK II bracket, but the one for the 5D MK III is a dandy! Extra support is given by the eyelet piece.

It is a bit snug fit in my RRS BH-30 ball head with lever clamp. But it does close down on the Kirk plate. This is the only ball head I have with a lever clamp, my others are BH-55 and BH-40 both with pro screw clamps. Trying to sell my BH-30, so a non issue for me. But might be important to others considering which clamp to get.

May 09, 2012 at 12:14 AM
cheem
• •
p.16 #7 · 5D III Camera Plate

jasonsim wrote:
It is a bit snug fit in my RRS BH-30 ball head with lever clamp.

Do you happen to know which model of RRS lever clamp is on your BH-30?

May 09, 2012 at 02:01 AM
jasonsim
• • •
p.16 #8 · 5D III Camera Plate

I have a B2-40 LR on my BH-30.

May 09, 2012 at 02:33 AM
Mike Pearson
• •
p.16 #9 · 5D III Camera Plate

Got my Kirk regular 5D III plate yesterday and put it on today. Great fit - looks good.

For those concerned about use with RRS lever clamps, it fits on my B2 LLR II RRS lever clamp no differently than the RRS plates as far as I can tell. I noticed jasonsim found it a bit tight with his L bracket, but since I knew some folks were concerned I put my 5D3 with the Kirk plate and my 1D IV with the RRS plate (both are regular, non-L, plates) on one after the other looking for any differences in fit and could not find any.

May 09, 2012 at 02:54 AM
jasonsim
• • •
p.16 #10 · 5D III Camera Plate

Note that the portrait side of the L-bracket fit perfectly in the RRS B2-40 LR. The tighter fit was when using the Kirk L-bracket in landscape. It might also be that I did not have enough leverage since I tried it without a lens mounted on the camera.

May 09, 2012 at 03:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jerrykur
• • • •
p.16 #11 · 5D III Camera Plate

I just got my Kirk L bracket. It fits perfectly on my RSS BH-55 ballhead with lever clamp. Now if the camera will just show up!

Jerry

May 09, 2012 at 01:23 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.16 #12 · 5D III Camera Plate

Thanks for the pics of the Kirk plate. Weird that both the Kirk and RRS have to have the vertical portion sit so far off the camera. On my 5D2 and 7D it fits much closer to the body on the vertical portion so basically the 5D3 L-plates make the camera physical dimension much wider than the L-plates do on the other cameras. The RRS has access to the eye loop which is the only real difference I can see between these plates.

May 09, 2012 at 01:28 PM
cheem
• •
p.16 #13 · 5D III Camera Plate

arbitrage wrote:
The RRS has access to the eye loop which is the only real difference I can see between these plates.

FWIW, there is one other important distinction. The Kirk allows you to slide the bracket farther away from the body to make way for tethered shooting cords in portrait orientation, if that is important to you.

May 09, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.16 #14 · 5D III Camera Plate

arbitrage wrote:
Thanks for the pics of the Kirk plate. Weird that both the Kirk and RRS have to have the vertical portion sit so far off the camera. On my 5D2 and 7D it fits much closer to the body on the vertical portion so basically the 5D3 L-plates make the camera physical dimension much wider than the L-plates do on the other cameras. The RRS has access to the eye loop which is the only real difference I can see between these plates.

Might have something to do with how cables fit and feed...and the clearance they need.
Dan

May 09, 2012 at 01:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.16 #15 · 5D III Camera Plate

cheem wrote:
FWIW, there is one other important distinction. The Kirk allows you to slide the bracket farther away from the body to make way for tethered shooting cords in portrait orientation, if that is important to you.

Yes that is true, that is a good feature for those who need it.

May 09, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.16 #16 · 5D III Camera Plate

The connector for the Canon remote control sticks out far enough that the plate must be stood off for clearance. The right angle connector sends the cable toward the front of the camera, and the connector or the cable can hit the clamp on the ball head. Some Really Right Stuff L brackets for other cameras have had a slot that allows the user to mount the bracket close to the body or mount it extend out if you need to use a remote.

May 09, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.16 #17 · 5D III Camera Plate

This whole discussion reminds me why I don't have a Arca Swiss style quick release system. At the moment, I'm top heavy in bodies, with six Canon, two Nikon and one Contax. I'm certainly not interested in buying a bunch of expensive plates/L-brackets for the various body designs. I'll just limp along with the old Bogen/Manfrotto hex-plates.

This isn't to say that I'm not attracted to the L-bracket designs, but I'll wait until if and when I settle on one or two camera designs. Nikon will soon be off my list, and the Contax N1 is a temporary need. So, maybe. . .

May 09, 2012 at 02:00 PM
cheem
• •
p.16 #18 · 5D III Camera Plate

arbitrage wrote:
Yes that is true, that is a good feature for those who need it.

My 40D RRS plate had this feature and it helps while doing tethered studio shots. I will lossen the L-Bracket and move it as far away from the body as the bracket allows. I thought (incorrectly) that this would be a standard feature in all RRS brackets.

May 09, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Stunnaz
• • •
p.16 #19 · 5D III Camera Plate

So did anybody receive their RRS rev A L-Plate yet? Are you happy with the fit? I ordered mine weeks ago and it's still not here yet.

I've never had problems with RRS before so I'm sticking with them. Used the 5D2 L-plate for 3 years and it was fine.

May 09, 2012 at 03:35 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.16 #20 · 5D III Camera Plate

I've had the revised RRS L-plate for over a week. Solid fit. Has left no marks on the body. I'm very happy, especially since I thought I'd have to return it based on previous comments posted here.

May 09, 2012 at 04:47 PM
       17       18       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

17       18       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password