Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

joesmosax
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

Saw a preview for Peter Hurley's "The Art Behind the Headshot" video tutorial. Has anybody seen this? It seems very promising, but I'm hesitant to drop $300 on it.

Also, the headshot portfolio on his website- is it just me or are the skin tones pretty bad in a large percentage of the shots? Like the tint is off or something. Many are just pink/redish or green. I'm specifically talking about the headshots on white backdrops like theses:

http://peterhurley.com/photography/actors-headshots/broadway/

Would love to hear some thoughts.

Joe

Apr 06, 2012 at 03:36 PM
myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

I saw it and enjoyed it, but much of it is simply him shooting and talking about his thought process as he goes along. He doesn't dwell on technique at all, but focuses on how to interact with a subject instead.

The main theme is that you can't just expect someone to emote on command in front of a camera, you need to talk to them, make them laugh, and make them think. Those are the things that bring out confident and natural expressions. He also throws out nice little tips like having your subject squint a little to avoid the "deer in headlights" look, push their forehead out and down to accentuate their jawline, and smirk rather that putting on a big cheesy smile.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about what you'd hope to get out of the DVD.

Some of the skin tones on the site do seem a bit off to me, but the shots are still good so I guess it doesn't bother me.

Apr 06, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

I've seen it and there was not that much useful info. I have no idea how these people change the amount of money for pdf books and dvds but that is another story. As a comparison 3 DAY creativelive courses are shown for free or cost $150. Huge amounts of info is available online for free too.

Apr 06, 2012 at 03:59 PM
joesmosax
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

@Mike

Yeah I saw a preview of his jawline tips. Seemed interesting. I'm mostly interested in more posing type tips like that and also about how he runs his business etc. I think he outsources his retouching to colorworks in NYC? I've often though about outsourcing my retouching- though again, the samples on his site were not impressive at all in terms of color...

Thanks,

Joe

Apr 06, 2012 at 05:14 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

Have you seen the 2 hour B&H episode with him? He covers a lot of the same stuff. He does a good job of getting his subjects to emote and he doesn't worry about the technical side of things to much. Once he shoots them he doesn't have much contact with them again until they do another shoot. Since he's getting $1100 per session I'd say he's doing something right as he does 3-4 shoots a day.

I think the stuff he teaches is way more valuable than lighting or camera technique. He is a business man whose business happens to be photography and he's learned how to get the best, most consistent response from his subjects he can and doesn't bother with the technical details so much.

This is the link to the B&H video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIMCFVlbEz8

Apr 06, 2012 at 05:44 PM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

joesmosax wrote:
@Mike

Yeah I saw a preview of his jawline tips. Seemed interesting. I'm mostly interested in more posing type tips like that and also about how he runs his business etc. I think he outsources his retouching to colorworks in NYC? I've often though about outsourcing my retouching- though again, the samples on his site were not impressive at all in terms of color...

Thanks,

Joe

He honestly doesn't mention much more than that in regard to posing. Just subtle things like angling the body and maybe leaning forward and dropping the front shoulder a bit to elongate the neck. He doesn't really put people into forced poses.

As far as running his business, he talks about how his price is his price--he doesn't offer lower packages with less looks or anything, because people would just pick the least expensive one. He works with a makeup artist and likes to keep everything looking natural, including retouching. Yeah, it's colorworks. He says he's too busy to do the retouching and just wants to move on after he's done shooting. The client pays colorworks separately for retouching and prints.

I don't know if it's okay for me to go into as much detail as I have, but really, the bulk of the DVD is him shooting. Again, the interaction part is the main theme throughout the whole thing, with bits of posing and business things thrown in.

Apr 06, 2012 at 07:45 PM
paulvienneau
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

As someone that learns by watching, I learned a lot from watching the DVD.
A friend and I went in halfsies on it, but when I have a little more $, I'm going to buy my own copy.
He talks about things you don't learn in a camera manual, like how to onteract with and direct your clients, and demonstrates this over 4 hours of video.

This is worth $300, easily.

My opinion.
Paul

Apr 06, 2012 at 08:13 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

I have the DVD. Once I was done watching it I felt pretty motivated in looking at things a bit differently as far a posing etc..

One weird caveat here. If one doesn't see a strong resemblance between Peter and Will Ferrell, I would questions their facial recognition skills. It's simply uncanny.

In as much as the price=features or benefits. I have to lean towards NO. A real personable guy, an interesting watch.. But not a lot of meat on that bone.

Apr 07, 2012 at 09:48 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

After buying and watching Peter's video, I more than recovered the entire cost of it in my first headshot gig, something I doubt would have happened had I not applied some of Peter's tips and techniques.

Apr 12, 2012 at 03:37 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

If you shoot people or headshots I think that it's definitely worth it. It's not a ton of information but what it has is good. I learned some things and put them into practice on a shoot the same week. It may be pricey for an online seminar but like I said if you're in the business of portrait photography or headshots you'll make it right back.

Apr 12, 2012 at 03:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

benee
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

Very intiguing... I think I'll check out the BH link first and then think about the DVD.

Apr 12, 2012 at 04:01 PM
NYC to Miami
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

If anyone is "done watching" their copy of the DVD - are you willing to sell it?

Jun 26, 2012 at 08:52 PM
Tete
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

I have this video - it's cool I guess. It's not worth $300 or whatever. Not in my opinion. It's mostly about interaction witht he client, basically setting the mood. And basic info that decent amatuer knows. I would say it's maybe worth $50 because its well done and neat to have access to someone elses workflow. I think it could be helpful to someone who does headshots but one thing I guess I would take into consideration is that this is peters personality. You can't copy that. I wold think the Joel Grimes stuff would be more helpfull in terms of lighting and techniques from head to toe.

Jun 27, 2012 at 09:34 AM
paulvienneau
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

"I have this video"

But did you *pay for it*?
The Hurley video is for a fairly specific type of photographer- head shots and fairly compensated.
The idea is you already know how to work the machines- camera and flash- and he is sharing the Real Business that has made him able to charge 1100 per session.

I bought the video for specific reasons, and it has helped me in many ways that go beyond technical.
Anyone can work a camera.
The |Real Business is in how you work your client, directing them and getting them to the place where you get the photos that get them work.

I subscribe to Kelby Training too. Each gives me different things.
For the real inside dope, Peter's dvd is worth the 300 bucks.

paul

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Tete
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

The OP asked if anyone seen it. I said I have it, which suggest I've seen it, and was bought by someone for me. I hope this helps Paul.

Im not a headshot photographer but I wasn't displeased to have it. The problem is its been out since Sept and there is much of it he has covered for free. For example the youtube link above or more recently he did a google keynote that covers it pretty much in about an hour

http://fstoppers.com/peter-hurleys-google-keynote-how-to-take-the-perfect-headshot
$300 is alot for free information.

Jun 27, 2012 at 01:53 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

Tete wrote:
I have this video - it's cool I guess. It's not worth $300 or whatever. Not in my opinion. It's mostly about interaction witht he client, basically setting the mood. And basic info that decent amatuer knows. I would say it's maybe worth $50 because its well done and neat to have access to someone elses workflow. I think it could be helpful to someone who does headshots but one thing I guess I would take into consideration is that this is peters personality. You can't copy that. I wold think the Joel Grimes stuff would be more helpfull in
...Show more

I complete agree with this. The video is okay. Much of it is him saying the same things over. Your mention of 'his personality' is spot on. Peter can suggest how to interact, but that is the case with any shoot you do. The video isn't about "how to" photography from a technical stand point. CreativeLive photographers suggest some of the same communication and interactions too.

Jun 27, 2012 at 05:26 PM
arnk
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

I purchased the DVD and watched it fully and then parts over again. As others have stated this is not a technical video. I learned tons from this video, my whole approach to shooting portraits and headshots completely changed and MASSIVELY improved. Its in the subtle details and Peter has a lot to say that is extremely valuable. Like other things in life, you get out of stuff what you put into it and if you are paying attention here there is a lot of really valuable information.

Jun 27, 2012 at 08:17 PM
fidelfs

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

Well, it is not worth it if you are looking diagrams how to set the lights, etc.
The first time, I watched, I also said this information is out there. When I watched closely and paying more attentions, he explains something in detail and you said Duhh!!, I didn't see it.

Then all the pieces are been placed together and you see the add value that the DVD does.

I watched also Creativelive, and they are good too. I think watch the trailer from his website and see if you like what he teaches.

Jun 27, 2012 at 08:40 PM
paulvienneau
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

"I hope this helps"
"I'm not a head shot photographer"

And Bingo was his Name-O.

P

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Tete
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Peter Hurley- DVD Tutorial - Worth it?

paulvienneau wrote:
"I hope this helps"
"I'm not a head shot photographer"

And Bingo was his Name-O.

P

for this reason alone you should watch Peters DVD a few more times, he has a great attitude.

But on a serious note, would you recommend this person spend 300$ on the DVD's or perhaps seek out the free online resources such as the Google Keynote and Youtube which features the very same person doing very much the very same lecture?

no money, for the same goods, seems like money well spent me.

Jun 28, 2012 at 06:28 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password