Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

gvg45
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

stanj wrote:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1099335/0#10487599

I know, that's 3 pages back

...I thought I read it earlier but couldnt remember where with so many 5D3 threads.
Thanks.

Mar 31, 2012 at 05:46 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

DmitriM wrote:
I tested the RAW files against jpeg copies and I suggest for everyone to just forget about jpegs. They suck! RAW files are really sharp and all jpegs of the same files are really soft and smudged at all ISO values.

I've done the same test and see no difference at all. I only tested at iso 100 though and I'm sure at higher ISO there is some serious NR that will make the jpegs look really smudged. However, with my testing at low iso I see my jpegs as very sharp. My RAWs needed a push on the micro contrast to sharpen them up to the level of the jpegs. This was with picture style set to Landscape which does have sharpness at 4 out of 7 and everything else at 0 so that is probably why they looked fairly sharp to me. What picture style were you shooting at?

Mar 31, 2012 at 06:08 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Mike Pearson wrote:
I have never used the 7D, but I think the crux of the problem for folks is that on most every Canon I have used when you half-press the shutter release the active focus point flashes (when focusing starts and before it is achieved). With the 5D III it does not. Apparently some folks are having problems knowing where the focus point is in some lighting conditions and they would not have this problem if the active point would flash at the start of focus instead of only flashing when focus is locked.

I can see the difference on my
...Show more

+1
I also don't see any problem seeing the black focus points in almost all light and if its is really dark then I can push the AF selection button and light up the whole screen in red to show me the active point. I have used the 7D for 2 years so I"m already used to this behaviour. I've been very perplexed with user pompo's problems in the dedicated thread for this issue but I've been trying to work with him and see if his camera is defective or it is just wildly different expectations we are dealing with.

Mar 31, 2012 at 06:10 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

arbitrage wrote:
[I have used the 7D for 2 years so I"m already used to this behaviour. I've been very perplexed with user pompo's problems in the dedicated thread for this issue but I've been trying to work with him and see if his camera is defective or it is just wildly different expectations we are dealing with.

I've just asked this from 7D users on another forum but since you have used both can you confirm that the 5D3 AF point illumination & selection is exactly the same as the 7D?

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

SeverianTL wrote:
Well, if the 800 or 1200 were f/1.8 lenses I'm sure they'd be on the A team, too.

Not necessarily. Looking closer it is evident that the max aperture of the lens has little effect on the rating of the lens WRT these grouping. Even the motor is not a clear indication. Here are f/2.8 examples:

The 135/2.8 (AFD) is in group A.
The 20/2.8 (ring USM) is in group B.
The 100/2.8 L (ring USM) is in group C.
The 28/2.8 (AFD) is in group D.
The 100/2.8 (ring USM) is in group E.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Mike Mahoney wrote:
I've just asked this from 7D users on another forum but since you have used both can you confirm that the 5D3 AF point illumination & selection is exactly the same as the 7D?

Yes, I've looked at them extensively last night because of the other thread. They function and illuminate in the exact same way.
5D3 has one extra AF mode with 8 surrounding points and has the option to only show x-type but then all of the 7Ds are x-type anyways.
But as far as how they illuminate and when they illuminate it is the same. And the 5D3 has a couple more options of when they show:
1) Selected ( constant): shows the selected point or group of points in black all the time
2) All constant: shows all 61 points or all x-type (depending on the other setting) as small black squares and the selected one as a large square
3)Selected (pre-AF, focused): shows the selected point before AF begins and then it disappears until AF locks as a sort of confirmation
4)Selected (focused): Point only shows up once it is focused
5)Disable Display: shows no points at all (however will still show all in red if you push the AF selection button)

So in this regards it has more options than the 7D that only has the CF to have the VF illuminations at ON, OFF or AUTO (this is the same on the 5D3). And then the 7D has the option to either show all AF points or only the selected one (5D3 has way more options for this as seen above). And then the CF that allows focus display in AI Servo on the 7D is basically set on the 5D3 by the same 5 options above.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:48 PM
tgamron

p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

arbitrage wrote:
[
+1
I also don't see any problem seeing the black focus points in almost all light and if its is really dark then I can push the AF selection button and light up the whole screen in red to show me the active point. I have used the 7D for 2 years so I"m already used to this behaviour. I've been very perplexed with user pompo's problems in the dedicated thread for this issue but I've been trying to work with him and see if his camera is defective or it is just wildly different expectations we are dealing with.

I just turned off the red flashing light, and it works fine. I rather the focus point be red, but I can live with the black square.

Mar 31, 2012 at 03:09 PM
pompo
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

try to frame a backlight area such as window blind from the inside of your house , with the 5d m2 the red focus point (while I move it or once confirmed focus), is brightly lit in red and showing just fine. On the mIII you can barely see any red at all. This is a joke of a toy viewfinder in a $3500 camera!

Mar 31, 2012 at 04:28 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I am looking at the files from this past weekend. As I expected, I've lost a few shots because it was bright and I did not see the red focusing point. Same happened at the reception as I did not see black points

So sad and mad Canon decided to fix the LCD issue that was brought up by immature morons and does not seem to acknowledge this very serious AF issue that is extremely frustrating for those who actually DO take their caps off the camera and take pictures...

To be honest...If Nikon had 16-22mp body that was equal to 5DIII in AF and noise, I'd switch. I never thought I'd say this,but it hurts to think I'll be using this camera for 3+ years. Take the video,picture styles,print buttons, all the mods,extra buttons and all the shit. Just give me basic camera with Good AF.
First we had 5DII where AF was just ok and now we god an amazing AF,but can't freakin' see anything in the viewfinder.

It almost funny and I can see them just sitting there and laughing " hahaha, we screwed them over with the 5DII's AF and now 5DIII's AF. This way they will want an upgrade 3 years down the road and maybe...just maybe...we'll fix it"

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

^^^ D4....c'mon do it!.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DmitriM
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

kewlcanon wrote:
^^^ D4....c'mon do it!.

It's too heavy. Same as 1Dx. Money are not an issue for me,but I can't handle the weight as I take pictures for 12-18 hours straight.

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:44 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Now that I have had some time to play around with the camera (love it) I feel somewhat able to address some of the issues. Sorry if these answers have been hit on before.

DmitriM wrote:
I just finished photographing a wedding. Over 39 hours of fast paced shooting
I've been shooting RAW on CF cards+jpegs on SD card.
Temperature: 20C-37C of fast paced shooting in different conditions and lighting scenarios.Sun,fog,rain,humidity,etc
From still and fast moving objects. Most shots were taken with 1-shot mode,but I also tried AI Servo a few times with outer points and they worked great. Way better than 5dII could even dream.
Just general observation with a lot of CONs-that's why Canon would not let me test their cameras )
I am aint no ambassador or sponsored by them to bull shit with fairy tales about a
...Show more

Apr 19, 2012 at 03:58 PM
rocksy
• •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

DmitriM, let's hope that the firmware that's around the corner will fix the issues with AF points illumination. I'm shure that CANON is aware of this problem, as almost all the reviewers are pointing to this as a big problem.

Apr 19, 2012 at 06:18 PM
teebat
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Let me get this right, the focus points don't like up red and your selected focus point is black? If this is correct then what is Canon thinking, red stands out.

Apr 19, 2012 at 06:37 PM
Sage

p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Wish I had found this thread before buying a 5d3. I had a go with mine at the weekend, and indeed the red focus lights are almost invisible during the day.

One other thing that's really annoying is there is no way to spot meter from anything but the center area. I've tried evaluative and that's no good.

The d800 can do this, and so can the 1dx. Another case of canon crippling features to get us to buy flagship cameras.

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:44 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Sage wrote:
One other thing that's really annoying is there is no way to spot meter from anything but the center area. I've tried evaluative and that's no good.

The d800 can do this, and so can the 1dx. Another case of canon crippling features to get us to buy flagship cameras.

This crippling is intentional and is generally reffered to as "Marketing".

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Although the AF point visibility issue is very real, I find what is infinitely worse is the sluggish AF lock speed for low light conditions in particular that OP mentioned over half a year ago - particularly dance floor type shots in my experience

It's very lens dependent but the 5D3 seems to be the root cause - using a 85L with the 5D3 WILL result in missed shots as the time it takes to focus in very low light often exceeds that of even the 180L on any other body!

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Sage

p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Oh, yes it doesn't look like they will do anything about the dim focus point illumination, as they have a firmware update due for release in April 2013 and it doesn't mention this.

My 5d and 1dm2 used individual leds for each of the red focus boxes. The new system uses one single led to light the whole viewfinder, so I doubt this can be fixed with software alone.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:08 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Sage wrote:
Oh, yes it doesn't look like they will do anything about the dim focus point illumination, as they have a firmware update due for release in April 2013 and it doesn't mention this.

My 5d and 1dm2 used individual leds for each of the red focus boxes. The new system uses one single led to light the whole viewfinder, so I doubt this can be fixed with software alone.

Consider the 6D? It doesn't have the transmissive LCD in the viewfinder.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Sage

p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I would if it weren't for the 6d only having one single cross type sensor and one card slot.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:54 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password