Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

James Cripps wrote:
"... though I have the last row of points to the left and right blinking and not available for my 24L and 70-200L 2.8. A bit sad about that...Sometimes when you go fast, your selection goes there and then you have to go back. Waste of time and a bit frustrating."

Sorry if this has been addressed. I'm just wondering what this is about? Why would any AF points be unavailable for the 24L and 70-200 f/2.8? I thought you would only lose AF at or beyond f/8 like an f/5 lens with an extender, etc.

The points are always still available unless you are at f/8. The option is to either show them all, show only x-type, or blink the non-x type. But you can always select a non xtype if you want.

Mar 29, 2012 at 09:12 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

DmitriM wrote:
7. HUGE issue!!! HUGE. I am not sure if I have something set wrong,but I can't freakin see the AF point most of the time. I thought VF display illumination set on ON would fix that,but it doesn't. During the day I can't see the AF points and when the focus is nailed. It does show is as a circle at the bottom of the viewfinder screen ,but I WANT and NEED the AF point(center point for example) to be illuminated!!!!
It also isn't illuminated during the night unless the focus is achieved. So can't really see which focus point
...Show more
Great photos Dmitri and many of your points are right on. I had an issue with 1 card also where it started misbehaving. Not sure if its card or camera but will keep an eye on it.

While the red light illumination of AF is not easy to see in bright light + bright background (you can see it faintly if the subject is dark) and easy workaround that I have found is as follows:-

AF.5.2: (AF menu, submenu 5, line item 2) AF Point display during focus: Set this to anything other than Selected ( Constant) or Disable display. I am liking the Selected (focused) and Selected (pre-AF, focused) options. Its taking some getting used to but the same information is available and I suspect in a few days this will be a non issue. (or canon releases a firmware update IF this is not a limitation with the new electronic screen)

Mar 29, 2012 at 09:27 PM
James Cripps
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

arbitrage wrote:
The points are always still available unless you are at f/8. The option is to either show them all, show only x-type, or blink the non-x type. But you can always select a non xtype if you want.

Got it. Thanks

Mar 29, 2012 at 09:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

arbitrage wrote:
ANd back to the lighting of AF points, if you just push the AF selection button (top right) then they all light up and flash the non x type if you have it set to that and it is then easy to see. I wonder if some peoples eyes don't see the red as good as others. Or if the high percentage of male colour blind people who actually don't realize it are having some issues. I'm just trying to figure this out as to me it has always been easy to see in all types of light since having
...Show more

I have a red sensitivity issue and have no trouble seeing the illuminated AF points on my 7D or any camera for that matter.

Mar 29, 2012 at 09:54 PM
roycp

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Really interesting to read this thread, I am not a professional and would love to have the artistic eye in the posted images, my professional expertese are in quality control and health & safety.

So, here is a slightly differend perspective on the review.

Consider that the wedding shoot was an activity that if not carried out correctly would result in the death of the bride & groom - extreme but keep with me.

My professional contractor turns up and with his equipment and carries out the job I have hired him for. The job does not go well....

The contractor then writes down the reasons for the job failing....

New equipment does not work like the old.
The contractor is not famillier with his equipment, does not know how it works.
The contractor has not been suitably trained in the use of the equipment - all be it self training by reading the manual and practice.
Contractor admits to not knowing WTF is going on with his equipment, does not know the limits of the equipment. If he doesn't know, what am I supposed to do?
Contractor does not like the new equipment - so why buy it if it does not meet his needs and why expect the supplier of the equipment to rectify an inappropriate purchase?

Personally for a safety critical job, I'd find a different contractor. Especially now I have to telephone the relatives of the bride & groom to tell them the bad news.

Thankfully this is entirely fictitious....

Pros from one profession can learn loads from those of another.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Dawei Ye wrote:
Not sure how any of the points can be fixed by reading the manual

Some people just want to teach others I suppose....

This morning I downloaded and read the manual this morning and then had a 6 hour shoot after that. I didn't get any new info and nothing was fixed. Everything I have is set correctly.

Mar 30, 2012 at 03:21 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Today I was shooting during the day and every 15-20 minutes the camera would focus on the subject(s), give me the beep and then nothing would happen when shutter is pressed for 1-1.5 seconds. It's like the camera would just freeze. Both of my camera experience the same issues so I have a feeling they are not defected. Releasing the shutter and trying to focus again would not help and the camera would still take its time from the moment it focuses to the moment the shutter is pressed.

FYI for a few smart asses who were trying to tell me how to run my business and what equipment to use, I did have 5DIIs with me as well as emergency backups... Additionally, by shooting cats,dogs and cup holders, these issues would most likely not show up. I've been doing photography full time for many years so rest assured, I wouldn't use equipment I did not fully understand.
Hopefully that settles that issue

Mar 30, 2012 at 03:28 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
That is a really stupid implementation. If I'm writing RAW to one card and JPEG to another, shouldn't the default behavior be to delete from both? At least give us the option to do so through a menu setting. Just gotta shake my head at Canon sometimes. Auto ISO in M exposure mode with no way to apply exposure compensation, having to delete from both cards separately--it's like they throw features on there without thinking about how they'll be used.

Yep, extremely stupid. I can't think of a reason for that. If I don't need the image on the main card, I sure don't want it on the backup card either. If some photographer would want that though, that should've been as an option but NOT as the only option!!!

Mar 30, 2012 at 03:33 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Breitling65 wrote:
#3 is very intersting point, how large raws?

Smallest RAW I have is 22.5 mb and the largest is about 43.4mb...
Average is around 31-34mb

Mar 30, 2012 at 03:39 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

teebat wrote:
There is a c.fn you can enable to brighten the focus point. This has been discussed.

Do you delete files while while working? I am always afraid to delete just in case.

How? I didn't see that

I personally delete quite a bit. It helps with culling later on.

Mar 30, 2012 at 03:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DmitriM
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

thedutt wrote:
Great photos Dmitri and many of your points are right on. I had an issue with 1 card also where it started misbehaving. Not sure if its card or camera but will keep an eye on it.

While the red light illumination of AF is not easy to see in bright light + bright background (you can see it faintly if the subject is dark) and easy workaround that I have found is as follows:-

AF.5.2: (AF menu, submenu 5, line item 2) AF Point display during focus: Set this to anything other than Selected ( Constant) or Disable display. I am
...Show more

I changed the AF to Selected( focused), earlier today. It did somewhat help,but still useless during the day. It was bright and noisy. I couldn't see the focus point or hear the beep and had to rely on the circle confirmation at the bottom right corner of the viewfinder. A hassle,but at least something,otherwise it would be total nightmare.

Mar 30, 2012 at 03:55 AM
mtavel

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I've had my 5D3 for 3 days now and have read the manual and played with settings for hours upon hours.

I really think the way focus points are displayed/illuminated on the 5D3 is broken.

Problem (low light): In low light, the AF point is not visible. It is displayed as a dark square outline in the viewfinder, but in a fairly dark scene, it is impossible to detect. It does not illuminate until it achieves focus on something, and you don't know where on the subject to aim the focus point because you can't see it!

Problem (bright):In bright busy scenes, it can be difficult to see the focus point unless the scene is fairly uniform. The focus point does not blink or illuminate in any way until it achieves focus, so it can be hard to spot until it locks on something. It is easier to see the AF point in bright scenes compared to dark ones, but blinking the AF point when AF starts would be a huge help.

It seems like Canon could fix this through firmware, since the level uses the same mechanism to display information in the viewfinder, but behaves differently.

If you use the level function through the vewfinder, the level indicators are always illuminated when the scene is dark, and turns into a dark outlines when the scene is bright. This is in contrast to the focus points always being dark until focus is achieved (a little late, no?)

I would appreciate any other 5D3 owner's feedback and recommendations for workarounds.

My Settings:
AF Point Display During Focus - Selected (constant) [tried all settings]
VF Display Illumination - Auto [tried all settings]

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:00 AM
pompo
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
pg 103 of manual; VF Illumination -> On: Enable

On 7D this works very well, I can always see AF points in bright light

I did try that VF illumination and if you shoot at night or indoor with low light, pepple looking at your lens will see a bright red light that looks like a street light, I turned that VF illumination sucker off right away...

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:41 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

DmitriM wrote:
Today I was shooting during the day and every 15-20 minutes the camera would focus on the subject(s), give me the beep and then nothing would happen when shutter is pressed for 1-1.5 seconds. It's like the camera would just freeze. Both of my camera experience the same issues so I have a feeling they are not defected. Releasing the shutter and trying to focus again would not help and the camera would still take its time from the moment it focuses to the moment the shutter is pressed.

Seems like you are not the only one: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1099754

Mar 30, 2012 at 01:03 PM
kardy

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Nice photos, but it sounds like you need to study the manual a bit before taking a new body onto a job... Then coming online to complain about it.

Mar 30, 2012 at 01:40 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

stanj wrote:
Sounds to me like this is an example of someone who doesn't have the camera passing judgement on those who do.

... only I do have the camera. Anything else?

Mar 30, 2012 at 01:49 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

kardy wrote:
Nice photos, but it sounds like you need to study the manual a bit before taking a new body onto a job... Then coming online to complain about it.

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, this is becoming standard practice every single time a new camera is released.

People grab the camera and start shooting without so much as a glance at the instruction manual... then we're deluged with hundreds of posts about "problems" with the camera, 98% of which ultimately prove to be user error.

If only people spent as much time learning how the gear works as they spend recording their "unboxing" videos, their would be a lot less hysteria out there.

Mar 30, 2012 at 01:59 PM
genesm
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

As far as JPEGS, seems like they need to be avoided all together. Shoot RAW and all will be fine.

Mar 30, 2012 at 02:16 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I've found that low iso jpegs are coming out equal to the RAWs that I threw into Aperture. All I had to do in Aperture was up the details slider (micro contrast) and the files were identical. No sharpening and no NR obviously. I think I may have had to just up the saturation slightly. The jpegs were on Landscape mode so only had a value of 4 for contrast and zeros for the rest.

Mar 30, 2012 at 02:20 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

deepbluejh wrote:
... only I do have the camera. Anything else?

Good man, I hope you like it.

Mar 30, 2012 at 02:27 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password