Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

revoke99
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

I'm wondering if we could pay extra to increase the buffer?

Mar 30, 2012 at 01:29 PM
hjanssen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

Just as slow as on every other camera or just as fast as on every othe.......

Mar 30, 2012 at 08:45 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.2 #3 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

niXer wrote:
Oh man, if that 41 in DX 14Bit Compressed is true... then yes D800 is the camera for me!

Can anyone freaking confirm!?!

If so.. next month I'll be hunting for a D800.

Yeah but does the maximum fps also drop with 14 bit files? Couldn't find anything specific in the manual relating to this.

Cheers
Leigh

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM
BrianJarvis
• •
p.2 #4 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

if it can maintain 3-4 per second what that kind of buffer, I'm still all over it.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM
utildayael
• •
p.2 #5 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

I find discussions like this funny. If you shoot anything that requires rapid fire and a big buffer, get a damn D4 or D3s or D3 w/ buffer expansion. Seriously.

You also have to understand how the buffer works. It's not like you take x pictures and it completely stops until it clears the entire buffer. It's constantly clearing it out as it writes to card so if you DO hit the magic wall it will get *slower* to take photos as a buffer spot has to clear each time before the shutter clicks.

It sounds like people want to use the entirely wrong tool for the job. There is a reason why the D# line has a big buffer and shoots at higher FPS.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #6 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

utildayael wrote:
I find discussions like this funny. If you shoot anything that requires rapid fire and a big buffer, get a damn D4 or D3s or D3 w/ buffer expansion. Seriously.

You also have to understand how the buffer works. It's not like you take x pictures and it completely stops until it clears the entire buffer. It's constantly clearing it out as it writes to card so if you DO hit the magic wall it will get *slower* to take photos as a buffer spot has to clear each time before the shutter clicks.

It sounds like people want to use the
...Show more

You must have an unlimited budget or maybe you won the Mega Millions last night! For the rest of us normal joes who don't do photography for a living it's a constant battle of needs vs wants vs $$$.

Yes I need a bigger buffer and more FPS and I clearly want the D4 but if a D800 can still get me the results I need I'm willing to work within it's "limitations" to tap into the benefits it offers in other areas. Of course if I had the cash I'd get both a D4 and D800 and all the beautiful super tele primes.

Also buying a D3 2X at maybe the same cost and much older tech as the D800 makes no sense and while a D3S is a cheaper alternative to a D4, it's still slightly older technology, cost significantly more than a D800 and does not come close to the amazing high resolution the D800 does.

I mean before the D800 was announced I was going to stick to DX and wait out the D400 but the D800 is too good to ignore. My problem isn't trying to use the wrong tool for the job but that the perfect tool has not come along and may never come along, so you gotta work with what you got and can afford!

Mar 31, 2012 at 08:48 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

Don't forget that the quoted buffer size will be affected by in-camera settings such as noise reduction, Active DLight, etc. I'm not sure now which settings have the impact but some certainly do - or more correctly certainly did on the models before the D800.

Your buffer may easily be halved. Check it out on your D7000 by comparing actual buffer for the way your camera is set up with quoted buffer.

- Alan

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

afm901 wrote:
For chasing squirrels with the D800, use DX mode (better for reach anyway and you get smaller NEF files) and get the battery grip. That combo is good for 6 FPS.

Scott

No better for reach unless you simply mean that you'll have to do less cropping in the computer. From the same distance and with the same focal length you'll get exactly the same number of pixels per squirrel because they are exactly the same pixels. It's not like using a DX camera which has more pixels per square inch than an FX camera.

- Alan

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM
utildayael
• •
p.2 #9 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

niXer wrote:
You must have an unlimited budget or maybe you won the Mega Millions last night! For the rest of us normal joes who don't do photography for a living it's a constant battle of needs vs wants vs $$$.

I shoot professional fulltime so ya, my gear has to be up to the task at hand.

$3k for a camera puts someone at the very top of the "hobbyist" range.

My point is this, use the right tool for the job if you can. I fully understand budgets and needs vs wants. Chances are high if you're that nitpicky about buffers and whatnot you should cancel your D800 preorder and buy a used D3 w/ buffer upgrade or pony up a little more to move into a used D3s.

Or you do like you suggested and learn to work within the limits of the system.

Mar 31, 2012 at 06:47 PM
utildayael
• •
p.2 #10 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

Alan321 wrote:
No better for reach unless you simply mean that you'll have to do less cropping in the computer. From the same distance and with the same focal length you'll get exactly the same number of pixels per squirrel because they are exactly the same pixels. It's not like using a DX camera which has more pixels per square inch than an FX camera.

- Alan

I think the thought was that if you're in DX mode the files are smaller so you get more buffer space and you also get faster FPS.

Mar 31, 2012 at 06:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

traylorc
• •
p.2 #11 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

utildayael wrote:
I shoot professional fulltime so ya, my gear has to be up to the task at hand.

$3k for a camera puts someone at the very top of the "hobbyist" range.

My point is this, use the right tool for the job if you can. I fully understand budgets and needs vs wants. Chances are high if you're that nitpicky about buffers and whatnot you should cancel your D800 preorder and buy a used D3 w/ buffer upgrade or pony up a little more to move into a used D3s.

Or you do like you suggested and learn to work within the limits
...Show more

Well said....

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #12 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

So yeah I think I am sold on buying the D800, if it ever comes in stock!

Guess it's time to find a new home for my 17-55mm though. Sad to see her go but I need the funds!

Does anyone have a clue how bad the 70-200mm VRI will vignette? I mean the reason I bought the VRI was because due to the DX crop it was pretty darn sharp but I know the VRI had issues in FX because of Vignetting.

Apr 03, 2012 at 05:31 AM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #13 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

Also for anyone interested, this video basically helped me figure out how "slow" the D800 was, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLUDEDuKZuU

It's no D4 machine gun but those are some really absolute shutter actuations.

Apr 03, 2012 at 06:36 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

have you tried renting a v1 70-200vr2 off lens rentals? could be what your looking for in a way cheaper package...

Apr 03, 2012 at 08:31 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

question: if your priorities are buffer, frame rate, then ISO and megapixels, why not a d300 or d300s? Used, they're cheap, can do 6fps, and 8 if you buy the grip and use AA batts. With my old 32gb 133x cards I can rattle off 20 shots before the buffer slows down. With the new 400x cards, I can double that.

ISO is respectable if you have solid clean light.

I think that would be the cheapest way to get a better buffer. Another thought: D3. Buffer is 16 images in 14 bit RAW, so I'd shoot it at CL and set that to about 5-7 fps instead of 9. With a fast card, you can clear the buffer. Also this would be cheaper than the D800 and available now on FM Buy and Sell

Just some thoughts.

Apr 03, 2012 at 10:01 AM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #16 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

lou f wrote:
have you tried renting a v1 70-200vr2 off lens rentals? could be what your looking for in a way cheaper package...

I've researched the crap out of that combo, especially since seeing some nice shots here but until Nikon wisens up and makes it a camera as a companion to their DSLR shooters instead of trying to make it a women's play toy I can't justify spending the cash on it, YET. I do see a V2 in my future replacing my P7000 after they do what they always do and listen to feedback and make a crazy amazing must have camera.

PShizzy wrote:
question: if your priorities are buffer, frame rate, then ISO and megapixels, why not a d300 or d300s? Used, they're cheap, can do 6fps, and 8 if you buy the grip and use AA batts. With my old 32gb 133x cards I can rattle off 20 shots before the buffer slows down. With the new 400x cards, I can double that.

ISO is respectable if you have solid clean light.

I think that would be the cheapest way to get a better buffer. Another thought: D3. Buffer is 16 images in 14 bit RAW, so I'd shoot it at CL and
...Show more

I bought my D7000 because to me it was better than a D300S which I had every intention on buying back then. But now that the D800 is out I have fallen in love with the detail and my FX trigger has been flipped. I want the FULL picture.

I did think about getting a D3 but if I were going with a D3 I'd want a D3S which is a bit more than a D800, right now so that's why the D800 is the camera for me. NOW if the D400 manages to slip out before I can get a D800 in my hands and it's a mini-D4 or not a 24MP DX monster, I might be swayed to that.

And of course if I get the D800 realize it's not for me I could probably re-sell it easy.

Apr 03, 2012 at 03:21 PM
utildayael
• •
p.2 #17 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

niXer wrote:
Does anyone have a clue how bad the 70-200mm VRI will vignette? I mean the reason I bought the VRI was because due to the DX crop it was pretty darn sharp but I know the VRI had issues in FX because of Vignetting.

It's not as bad as some people will have you think. I still run the VR1 version on my D3s and have no issues. Lightroom / Photoshop lens correction fixes the vignette automagically. I've never felt that I needed to replace it with the VR2 version.

Oh and if you run with a TC, you wont see it at all.

Apr 03, 2012 at 04:29 PM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #18 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

utildayael wrote:
It's not as bad as some people will have you think. I still run the VR1 version on my D3s and have no issues. Lightroom / Photoshop lens correction fixes the vignette automagically. I've never felt that I needed to replace it with the VR2 version.

Oh and if you run with a TC, you wont see it at all.

Good to know. I really like having the focus locks on the lens itself. No clue why the removed it for the VRII.

Apr 03, 2012 at 04:30 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.2 #19 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

niXer wrote:
So yeah I think I am sold on buying the D800, if it ever comes in stock!

Guess it's time to find a new home for my 17-55mm though. Sad to see her go but I need the funds!

My VR1 Vignettes badly wide open on my D700, not on my 300S. It doesn't bother me with sports shooting since I crop it out anyway.

It's mildly annoying on landscapes, but i think I compensate for it when shooting. I think the VR2 tried to address the issue (perhaps that's why it's reach is shorter than the VR1).

The fps on the D800 kills it for me, I mean 4fps is D70 speed

Rags

Apr 03, 2012 at 06:07 PM
utildayael
• •
p.2 #20 · How slow is 4FPS on the D800?

Rags Hef wrote:
The fps on the D800 kills it for me, I mean 4fps is D70 speed

It's not a sports camera.

Apr 03, 2012 at 07:22 PM
       3       4       end