FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              34      
       36              49       50       end

Archive 2012 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

sb in ak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.35 #1 · p.35 #1 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

Great shots! Especially like the first, with that nice green OOF background. That dowitcher pops off the screen.

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:47 PM
maljo
• •
p.35 #2 · p.35 #2 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

San Diego, D800 + 500 f4:
http://gallerymallery.smugmug.com/Photography/San-Diego/i-WbzwJ2t/0/X2/Pelican%20Profile%202013%20%281%29-X2.jpg

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:46 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.35 #3 · p.35 #3 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

I'm actually speechless regarding the files that come out of this camera. DESTROYS Canon's files.

Mirrors by Chi_Town_Bro, on Flickr

Angle of Attack by Chi_Town_Bro, on Flickr

Dare to be Different by Chi_Town_Bro, on Flickr

Vertical Razors by Chi_Town_Bro, on Flickr

High Five by Chi_Town_Bro, on Flickr

It Takes Two by Chi_Town_Bro, on Flickr

Aqua Spear by Chi_Town_Bro, on Flickr

It's all in the Details by Chi_Town_Bro, on Flickr

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:42 AM
ash4390
• •
p.35 #4 · p.35 #4 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

I'm utterly in love with my D800 + SIgma 70-200 f/2.8 OS combo... Can't think of why I should have bought the Nikon VR2!

Any idea what kind of bird this is?

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.35 #5 · p.35 #5 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

KirkB wrote:
More of my favorite birds at my favorite pond.

I absolutely LOVE the D800... so happy I pulled the trigger and upgraded from my beloved D300.

D800 | 300 f/4 w TC-14E II ~ Exif Intact

Kirk

Short-billed Dowitcher ~ 1/2000s f/7.1 at 420.0mm ISO400

http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/149271525/original.jpg

Black-necked Stilt ~ 1/2500s f/7.1 at 420.0mm ISO400

http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/149283575/original.jpg

American Avocet in Full Breeding Plumage ~ 1/2500s f/7.1 at 420.0mm ISO400

http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/149271168/original.jpg

These photo's blow national geographic away

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Raabjorn

p.35 #6 · p.35 #6 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

Amazing pics folks. Keep 'em coming!

Here are some I took today.

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:10 PM
montym
• • • •
p.35 #7 · p.35 #7 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

KirkB wrote:
More of my favorite birds at my favorite pond.

I absolutely LOVE the D800... so happy I pulled the trigger and upgraded from my beloved D300.

D800 | 300 f/4 w TC-14E II ~ Exif Intact

Kirk

American Avocet in Full Breeding Plumage ~ 1/2500s f/7.1 at 420.0mm ISO400

http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/149271168/original.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! The water rolling off its neck!!!!
WOW!!

Monty

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:17 AM
montym
• • • •
p.35 #8 · p.35 #8 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

Raabjorn wrote:
Amazing pics folks. Keep 'em coming!

Here are some I took today.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/dodden/Svane_zpse1b3f83d.jpg

I love the lighting on this one. Great work!
Monty

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:17 AM
montym
• • • •
p.35 #9 · p.35 #9 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

eskimochaos wrote:
I'm actually speechless regarding the files that come out of this camera. DESTROYS Canon's files.

Yes, in the right hands the D800 really shines.
Great buildings!

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:20 AM
montym
• • • •
p.35 #10 · p.35 #10 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

Raabjorn: Nice Norwaynight sky!!!

DocsPics: crispy sharp. Great shot

maljo, I love it!

Every image on this page is unbelievable! You people are top notch photographers!
If I missed commenting on your photograph, I'm sorry. I tried to comment on all of them...

Monty

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:26 AM
montym
• • • •
p.35 #11 · p.35 #11 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

My humble offering.
I love people photography. Yesterday I was walking to a meeting saw this woman running. She even said "hi" as she went past me.

Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful pictures. You people are an inspiration!

Monty

Runner

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:29 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.35 #12 · p.35 #12 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

Okay, I started at the end and worked my way backward to page 10. Full disclosure: I shoot Canon for now, but longingly considered switching to Nikon for this camera, because I sell very large prints of my work, and the resolution would help. Decided not to make the switch; maybe this thread shows why. Or maybe not. It's not as if nobody is getting it right with the D800.

My first thought is that most contributors to this thread ought to get in touch with Thang, and figure out what he/she is doing about post-processing. Thang is getting color and contrast right, as are a few others. They prove you can make sensational images with this camera. Also, the avocet dipping its beak is a masterpiece, and wonderfully presented. So kudos to KirkB. When I saw his work on page 37, I thought, "This is going to be good!" But it hasn't been good, mostly.

There are a lot of images here that would be terrific, but they just die for want of the right color and contrast. Seems like an inherent feature of D800 output. Or maybe everybody is flattening contrast by lifting shadows, just because they can.

But that wouldn't entirely explain why the people in so many images look like cancer patients—even the kids. Nor would it explain the subdued colors in landscapes, or even in inherent color festivals like a balloon launch.

This camera may be a great tool, but right now if I were shopping for a wedding photographer I would put it in the contract: no D800s allowed. Because not enough people seem to have mastered what to do with the raw images, and I wouldn't want to take the chance. I suspect that some of this might be learning how to use the camera's strengths judiciously, instead of willy-nilly. Or maybe it's something I don't understand.

But who knows? Talk to Thang and KirkB. Or stop getting all ga-ga about resolution and dynamic range, and start looking at your pictures with an eye to judging whether color and contrast also need some attention.

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:51 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.35 #13 · p.35 #13 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

Ah, a sophisticated Canon troll.
(I say this tongue in cheek.)

You very clearly point to user error as the possible source of the lack of color and contrast that bothers you. You even name names of those who got it right. Yet, you end by "bashing" the camera.

If you shop for wedding (or any) photographer based on the camera they use, you would be disappointed. I've seen doctors (sorry!) with multi-thousands worth of Hessy gear that shoots crap.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.35 #14 · p.35 #14 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

splathrop wrote:
Okay, I started at the end and worked my way backward to page 10. Full disclosure: I shoot Canon for now, but longingly considered switching to Nikon for this camera, because I sell very large prints of my work, and the resolution would help. Decided not to make the switch; maybe this thread shows why. Or maybe not. It's not as if nobody is getting it right with the D800.

My first thought is that most contributors to this thread ought to get in touch with Thang, and figure out what he/she is doing about post-processing. Thang is getting color and
...Show more

Well I checked my calendar and it's NOT April 1st. Hmm....perhaps you need to calibrate YOUR monitor.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.35 #15 · p.35 #15 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

You very clearly point to user error as the possible source of the lack of color and contrast that bothers you. You even name names of those who got it right. Yet, you end by "bashing" the camera.

You have a bit of a point. On the other hand, I was suggesting that the camera is indeed challenging users in ways they don't seem to have figured out how to cope with. I don't know enough about the camera to say why, but the general uniformity of the (unfortunate) results suggests the camera as a unifying factor, just as the existence of excellent results suggests the problem can be overcome.

The remark about wedding photography was indeed intended rhetorically. The portfolio ought to tell the tale, not the camera.

Edited on Mar 24, 2013 at 04:09 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:04 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.35 #16 · p.35 #16 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

Well I checked my calendar and it's NOT April 1st. Hmm....perhaps you need to calibrate YOUR monitor.

No monitor is perfect. Mine is an NEC PA271w with largely-automated calibration that works as well as any I have seen. Really happy with it.

Edited on Mar 24, 2013 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:09 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.35 #17 · p.35 #17 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

Nice shot, Monty. I like people photography as well. A little harder around here in AK...not many people out on the street.

Another aurora shot...with some city lights reflecting off a cloud..

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:40 PM
sante

p.35 #18 · p.35 #18 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

A little late to the game but, I thought I share two pics from last October, whale watching off the coast of Province town. It was our first time and what and experience it was. I hope you enjoy looking. Thank you.

© sante 2013

Nikon D800E and Nikkor 70-300 zoom lens

Nikon D800E and Nikkor 70-300 zoom lens

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:53 PM
sante

p.35 #19 · p.35 #19 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

My apologies I did not realize there is a D800E thread for images

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:02 PM
pmac1985
• •
p.35 #20 · p.35 #20 · Nikon D800 - Official Image Thread

splathrop wrote:

My first thought is that most contributors to this thread ought to get in touch with Thang, and figure out what he/she is doing about post-processing. Thang is getting color and
...Show more

I find this funny.. I bet if I took 10 images off of flickr and wiped all details you wouldn't be able to choose which were the 5 Canon and which were the 5 Nikon images. Similarly i bet 99.9% of people couldn't.

I dont know why theres such a childish mentality between camera users..is it because alot are men..being a man i know that there's always a pissing contest to be had..but come on grow up.

if you don't want to switch why do you feel the need to belittle others and there images.. I see by your post that you seem to be one of the kit orientated users,every post in the past year has been related to canon or nikon equipment,you seem to post in both just as much.

Why don't you post some of your grand images for us to see..seeing you seem to think yourself better than everyone else.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:56 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.