Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10              12       13       end

Archive 2012 · Ricoh GXR images

aleksanderpolo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · Ricoh GXR images

And I thought the CV 35/1.2 is massive Why does modern lens and DSLR have to be so bloated?

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:22 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.9 #2 · Ricoh GXR images

Why? Autofocus, I guess.

Built nicely, it is pretty big and heavy although the Nikon equivalent is about the same size and only 65g lighter. Neither will feel out of place on a full frame DSLR.

Back on topic: Rumours of Ricoh coming out with product that will "please their core user base" (paraphrased) haven't yet materialized into anything, have they?

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:28 AM
uscmatt99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #3 · Ricoh GXR images

I'd love for Ricoh to release a follow-up to the M-module on GXR. In my opinion, the modular GXR idea is pretty much dead right now. The market indicates that people are willing to shell out for a fixed prime lens camera of excellent quality (RX-1, X100, recent Sigma cams) or alternatively want a relatively adaptable mount camera with a full frame or excellent DX crop sensor. At a minimum I'd love to see them magically optimize the Sony 24mp DX sensor, no AA filter, continues to play nicely with wide RF lenses. Even better would be a camera sporting the Sony 24mp or 36mp sensor that works well with the wide RF lenses. Make the body like a NEX-6 but "Ricohfied", sport the built-in EVF and a tilt LCD. I think they could price it at $2500 for FX and sell a good number if they get it to market before an FX sensor NEX. It will have to be a killer DX camera to sell at over $1200 though.

Here are some from a recent chilly trip to Chicago. It was 5 degrees Fahrenheit by the way, not counting wind! I had to wear thick gloves, and used the CV 35/1.2 most of the time purely because I could actually grip the focus ring.

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:22 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.9 #4 · Ricoh GXR images

A few more:

From the hotel room, much warmer!

ZM 25/2.8

Back to the harbour.

CV15/4.5

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:26 AM
dweekie

p.9 #5 · Ricoh GXR images

Not too special...

Until you zoom in...

Per-pixel sharpness of the m-mount blows me away. Not bad for a 57+ year old lens either.

GXR M-mount with 1955 Jupiter 3

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:48 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.9 #6 · Ricoh GXR images

dweekie -- what better place can there be for your first post on Fred Miranda other than this, the venerable Ricoh GXR Images sub-forum? Welcome! Post more, post often!

Hey Matt, love the frozen-in dock photos. I'm amazed at how cold Chicago gets. Just goes to show you that latitude isn't everything... we are north of Chicago and much warmer in the winter. This is what our inner harbour looks like in January:

Small because, sssh, they didn't come from a GXR, click for larger

Adding a contribution to keep my membership in this sub-forum current even though I'm currently mostly using the D800.

Old, massive, "W" sign that used to be perched atop the Woodwards Building before it was redeveloped for mixed-market and social housing and a neighbourhood mini-mall. I mostly like the out of focus detail above where the facade has what looks like slightly stopped down straight-bladed aperture openings in the detail.

Click for larger

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:40 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.9 #7 · Ricoh GXR images

Michael, really like that last one!

Was browsing DC Watch looking at the latest Cosina lenses on display at CP+ and noticed this: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130201_585986.html

While it's not GXR, it's GR... does this imply there might be something coming in 2013? Would at least reaffirm that Ricoh is still interested in the GR/GXR line...

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:14 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.9 #8 · Ricoh GXR images

Still not anything but drab weather over here.

Actually brought the DP1Merrill and the GXR out the other day to do some shooting but it started raining.

At least my C/Y adapter arrived and the CZ60 balances well on the GXR:

DSCF4372 by koruNZ, on Flickr

1:1 macro makes me want to chase down some details during the weekend.

What I like about the M mount is that it definitely keep the character of the lens "intact" except for the obvious cropping. Harsh window light and virtually untouched in RPP:

cz60kzmn1 by koruNZ, on Flickr

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:09 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.9 #9 · Ricoh GXR images

uscmatt: yes, they need to get their act together soon.
Since they have stated that they are "giving their all" on the next one I have made sure a little money from selling my surplus lenses is reserved for it. I am only a bit pessimistic that it might be something that is very good - but that it might be something other than what I had on the wish list.

Ricoh is one of the few brands where I would buy something based on specs alone and not feel that I need to fondle it before ordering one.

If they do release a FF module for GXR I will be kicking myself for letting the ZM18/4 go. But I was thinking that out of all the possible scenarios I would probably see either a A16 28 or a GRD with APS-C and 28mm equivalent or even a wider option.

And hey, false hope is better than no hope at all.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:52 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.9 #10 · Ricoh GXR images

The "old" A12 50 module is quite nice. It is the least used lens in my outfit but I still think it's a keeper.

At f2.5 and mixed light:

kzmanR33 by koruNZ, on Flickr

Edit: might be some sharpening artifacts present on the above sample.

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

michaelwatkins
• • •
p.9 #11 · Ricoh GXR images

Henrik, I sold my ZM18/4 too... just wasn't using it enough. If Ricoh defies my current expectations (very low) and releases an interesting update to the GXR and/or a full frame M mount compatible camera, I'll kick myself too.

You are lucky to have a cat with striking eyes and fur that is any other colour but black, and I think I'm talking more about photography than fur on carpet here but it applies to both!

Focus not where I want but I don't really care as this photo is certainly representative of the playful nature of our Kady.

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:01 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.9 #12 · Ricoh GXR images

Michael: the dog looks alert and full of energy.

Well, if there ever is a full frame M module and a GXR II I could always dig up a second hand 18mm again, or go for a 21mm.

Still no rush. Since October last year most of the scenics are coated a drab grey here in Sweden and except for a very few days worth of pristine snow the drab will not lift until early May so lots of time contemplating...

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:32 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.9 #13 · Ricoh GXR images

While many degrees warmer during the winter, here in Vancouver we mostly live in a land of drab grey, but once in a while the sun makes an appearance. Some sparkling fresh snow (we had very little this year) would be a nice change even if 2cm can cause traffic chaos here.

Have you had any word from your usual source regarding potential product happenings from Ricoh? Or Pentax Ricoh I guess we have to call them now?

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:45 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.9 #14 · Ricoh GXR images

Hello Michael,
no, haven't spoken to him in a while.

The buzz is first and foremost a GRD V with APS-C sized sensor, slightly thicker than the current and 16MP. That would be my guess.

Apart from that I really don't know but I have the usual wishes and wants and I think the GXR refresh (mkII) together with a 40mm module or a Pentax K module (though unsure of FF or APS-C) are all fairly likely. The more elaborate guess considering the patents would be a Pentax K module APS-C, with two new lenses: 35/2.5 and 40/1.9 equivalent lenses - i.e. Ricoh dSLR lenses in K mount to go with the new module.

I was going to see if I could call up the guy that usually knows stuff as he has pretty good connections though I think that the merger has made for some changes in the corporate structure here in Sweden as Pentax Scandinavia has taken over the Ricoh camera sales. I don't know anyone there. I might know some from before, but if the old timers are gone I haven't a clue.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:57 PM
artur5
• •
p.9 #15 · Ricoh GXR images

I won't say a K mount module for the GXR isn't coming ( who knows with Ricoh ? ) but IMO it would make little sense. There's already a K mount module and it's called A12 M mount + Leica M to PK adapter.
Besides, that K module would be competing against Ricoh-Pentax own line of APS-C DSLRs. Competing poorly, because a sluggish contrast detection AF wouldn't have any chance against the phase detec. AF of Pentax current SLRs. That is, unless they release all of a sudden a module with on-sensor phase detection AF of ground breaking performances. (a rather unlikely event )

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:25 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.9 #16 · Ricoh GXR images

My druthers remain: a GXR II and Mount F24 (full frame 24 megapixel M mount module), or a GXR II with a 35/2 full frame module with a nice lens competitive with the Sony RX1, or a GRD-like camera competitive with the RX1.

A 35/2.5 APS-C camera or camera module wouldn't interest me nearly as much, although I could be interested depending on the lens rendering I guess. The 40/1.9 with the right sensor and fast AF might interest me though although I'm not a 40-is-perfect sort, I like it a bit wider please.

I'd like a camera like the Fujifilm X100S but made by Ricoh or with Ricoh DNA and a great lens/sensor but if they could do only one new camera for me personally, I guess I'd rather have full frame M mount machine with all the trimmings.

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:44 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.9 #17 · Ricoh GXR images

Exciting news about a possible GR follow-up. I haven't had the pleasure of using a GRD, but I admire the ethos. Slap a nice wide fast lens on a newer DX sensor and it's a winner in the typical Ricoh body.

I'm inching closer and closer to getting a NEX-6. I tried one out in the shop with just the kit zoom. Hated trying to MF with the darn thing, but... The grip is nicer, I like the bigger landing area for my thumb, the LCD is nicer and articulated, the EVF is perfectly placed and nicer, and using it with MF glass is a breeze with the control dial around the mode dial and quick ISO adjustment. From an IQ perspective, it seems that they've maintained the ability to use the wide RF glass without color shift, and the AA filter may be a bit weaker this time around. I've been going through shots from the past year with the GXR, and there are definitely times where I could have used some more DR or a little less noise after bumping the ISO for stuff I want to print big. From a lens perspective, they finally have some nice affordable stabilized AF primes to work with.

We'll see what Ricoh brings to the table, but I imagine it will be hard to top the NEX offerings for an interchangeable lens camera if they only go APS-C. Whatever they do, I hope that the overall operation speed of the camera is improved.

All that said, I took my GXR out for a spin this morning in the snow with the CV 35/1.2, which I am liking more and more. I also used the GXR to photograph my toddler in a sports class at the YMCA with an adapted Nikkor 75-150/3.5. I'm not sure what's worse, his basketball dribbling skills or my tele manual focus skills, but we both had fun! Posts to follow

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:16 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.9 #18 · Ricoh GXR images

All this wish-list thinking can only lead to disappointment once, or if, product hits the streets and that isn't a dig at Ricoh but at all makers. Still it is fun to specify the "perfect" camera.

I hope that Ricoh doesn't only plan on releasing this empty shelf with a 2013 placard seen here.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:30 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.9 #19 · Ricoh GXR images

Agreed Michael, better to just go and use what you've got!

Here are a few snaps of my kid with the 75-150/3.5, pretty good for a cheap lens. The one-touch zoom/focus ring is so loose that I use it only at the extremes of the range.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:29 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.9 #20 · Ricoh GXR images

And a few from the 35/1.2:

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:32 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell