New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Blue Screen of Death

Geofn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Blue Screen of Death

Have you tried sending a PM to Henry Posner at B&H (FM Username is Henryp). He's usually pretty good about getting things like this resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Good luck!

Mar 29, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Whaler
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Blue Screen of Death

The saga has finally come to a close. Friday, I received a full refund from Asus on the laptop.

If any of you ever get a reply/advise like this:

“It doesn't matter how important your monitor and your usage of your program is to you, the fact remains that the particular combination of that monitor with that program and used in that way is obscure and extremely limited in how many people run into it.

The computer is not "junk" and it is ridiculous to expect Asus or any other manufacturer to disclose in detail every single obscure combination where a computer has a hiccup. The list would be the size of a book.

It is just bad luck that you ran into it, and we sympathise with you because we know how frustrating it can be. However, the conclusions you are drawing and the way you are behaving are over the top.

Get over it and deal with it like an adult instead of a temper tantrum.

First step would be to actually examine the Lightroom Preferences as a poster advised and do not simply dismiss it as something you have not seen referenced online in your googling.

If that doesn't work, sell the machine or the monitor, replace them, and get on with life. Life is not perfect but you are only harming your health by blowing a gasket the way you are.”

DO NOY LISTEN TO THEM. Bless their heart’s all synapse are not firing in their frontal lobe.

May 13, 2012 at 01:00 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Blue Screen of Death

If you make a big enough stink you can blackmail a company into making you go away. Asus had already bent over backwards to try to satisfy you.

You were blowing a gasket, posting a rant all in one paragraph, and calling the computer junk because it failed on one obscure combination and going on and on about it here and battling Asus.

The advice to sell the machine and buy another would have worked as well and saved you a lot of trouble, frustration, bother, anger, and health; at a minimal dollar cost to you.

Congratulations. You saved yourself a few bucks.

May 14, 2012 at 03:14 AM
jazzloft

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Blue Screen of Death

I am having the exact same issue. I called Adobe and they said it was my computer. I called Asus and they said it was the software. I've got NO other issues with the laptop. This only happens when I attach an external television or projector and use the adjustment brush. Everything else in Lightroom and Photoshop works perfectly. Weird. So, I tried lowering the resolution a bit and guess what, it works. Since I'm not a high tech person, I have no idea what causes this. But lowering the resolution when using an external monitor fixes everything.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Blue Screen of Death

Good to know.

It can be a chore documenting bugs and crashes. You've demonstrated the ability to effectively troubleshoot. Thumbs up.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:00 PM
iweiner

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Blue Screen of Death

Why do I get the uncomfortable feeling that Monito is an employee pf Asus.

"The advice to sell the machine and buy another would have worked as well and saved you a lot of trouble, frustration, bother, anger, and health; at a minimal dollar cost to you."

This alone is reprehensible behavior--"because it failed on one obscure combination"
Failure is NEVER an option!!!

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM
jazzloft

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Blue Screen of Death

Any idea why this could be happening?

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Blue Screen of Death

Monito. High level software does not cause BSOD anymore. BSOD is caused by hardware and/or non-certified drivers or other stuff that talks directly to the kernel. Since Vista, nothing should talk to the kernel anymore.

Its the computer or an associated driver. Its not the software.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:16 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Blue Screen of Death

Well, that is just semantics when the installation of software is the proximate cause for the BSOD. It happened to me just yesterday with a dodgy utility that produced a BSOD and rendered the computer unbootable. It's only a minor annoyance since that was not a mission critical app like CS or Office, but it is hardly the computer's fault.

The only time I blame the computer vendor is when a hardware driver in a pre-built computer does not work. There is no excuse for that, since they supplied the hardware. Once one starts installing hardware and software the possible incompatibilities increase exponentially and various parties will start pointing fingers at each other.

EBH

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:24 AM
Whaler
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Blue Screen of Death

Follow up: I ended up purchasing a Malibal Satori, May 2012, and have not had problem ONE with either software or hardware. I have to admit it was a long 3 months dealing with B&H, Buy It Now, and Asus. I humbly beleive that it was an issue of BSOD being caused by hardware and non-certified drivers in an effort to save Asus $0.27 per unit sold.

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.