FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

eosslr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

i can volunteer to do a simple test this weekend, if there's interest. nothing serious probably since i'm limited in time these days. say 1 shot @ MFD (1m) + 1 shot at infinity on NEX 5n, for any combination of the following (pick ones you care about), and then post unprocessed full-res images

planar 50/2 zm
sonnar 50/1.5 zm
mplanar 50/2 zf
contax 50/1.7
summicron 50/2 rigid
summicron 50/2 col
summitar 50/2 col
summar 50/2 col
summarit 50/1.5
c-summicron 40/2
voigtlander 50/1.1
industar-22
industar 50
industar-61
industar-26m
jupiter-3

Mar 20, 2012 at 04:49 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

Generous gift of time! Planar and Sonnar ZM please!

Mar 20, 2012 at 05:20 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

personally I'd appreciate seeing the ZM planar, makro-planar, contax and rigid cron.

Mar 20, 2012 at 05:27 PM
Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

eosslr wrote:
i can volunteer to do a simple test this weekend, if there's interest. nothing serious probably since i'm limited in time these days. say 1 shot @ MFD (1m) + 1 shot at infinity on NEX 5n, for any combination of the following (pick ones you care about), and then post unprocessed full-res images

planar 50/2 zm
sonnar 50/1.5 zm
mplanar 50/2 zf
contax 50/1.7
summicron 50/2 rigid
summicron 50/2 col
summitar 50/2 col
summar 50/2 col
summarit 50/1.5
c-summicron 40/2
voigtlander 50/1.1
industar-22
industar 50
industar-61
industar-26m
jupiter-3

That would be awesome! What I'd want to see is a comparison at ~3-5 meters distance, with bokeh included.

----------

By the way, I'm picking up a 50/2 Planar on friday, so I'll do some sort of test between the Sonnar and the Planar then.

Mar 20, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

I'd like to see them all except for the Russian stuff...

Mar 20, 2012 at 05:43 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

i wanna see the j-3 compared to the zm sonnar in addition to what others have asked for.

Mar 20, 2012 at 05:50 PM
eosslr
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

ok. i will get the test shots done on sat and post back to thread

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

Today I picked up a ZM 50/2 Planar instead of the Contax 45, and from my initial shooting I think this is exactly what I've been looking for. It's everything that the Sonnar is not and I can immediately see the "Zeissiness" that I was after from the beginning. Sharpness is much better at f/2 than I expected, especially considering some slightly soft examples that I've seen from NEX cameras. Just a tiny bit of fringing, but still with high local contrast and it probably outresolves the 16 mpix sensor wide open if using a tripod.

I'll try to make some comparisons with the Sonnar and Planar tomorrow. Here's a teaser for now, wide open, handheld at 1/160 and ISO 400.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Makten/_DSC0603.jpg

100% crop from the center. PP:d with an aggressive contrast curve of course, but the only sharpening is 25, 1.0, 25 in ACR (default).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Makten/_DSC0603_center_crop_f2.jpg

Lower right corner 100% crop...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Makten/_DSC0603_corner_crop_f2.jpg

Pretty damn good, right?

Mar 23, 2012 at 02:50 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

Nice.

Between this and other discussions I've made up my mind to go for the Planar myself. I think I actually want both, but for now I want the Planar for versatility and all the other things I love about my 18/25/35 ZMs.

Now I need to find one.

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:18 PM
alwang
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

Makten wrote:
100% crop from the center. PP:d with an aggressive contrast curve of course, but the only sharpening is 25, 1.0, 25 in ACR (default).

What's the aperture? That's softer than what I've come to expect from my G45. Don't know that the difference is enough to be that meaningful, however.

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:25 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

The shot immediately above was done "wide open" according to the text.

Looks pretty good to me for f/2. I bet it'll look even better (in the corners specifically) on a GXR.

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:30 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

michaelwatkins wrote:
I think I actually want both...

So do I, but the Sonnar is just too expensive since I seldom shoot portraits or anything with shallow DOF. But it does have special qualities, no doubt!

Wide open on 5N, uncropped...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Makten/_DSC0588.jpg

100% crop with the default ACR sharpening; 25, 1.0, 25...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Makten/_DSC0588_crop_1_5.jpg

This lens is probably a killer on FF if you like to shoot wide open all the time.

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:33 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

alwang wrote:
What's the aperture? That's softer than what I've come to expect from my G45. Don't know that the difference is enough to be that meaningful, however.

It's wide open and you should remember that this equals 36 mpix on FF. I don't think you can expect better from any similar lens (~50/2), regardless of price. If the Contax 45/2 is even better, that's awesome.

Edit: The exit pupil of the Planar is quite far away from the sensor; much farther than the Sonnar, so I don't think the GXR will make much of a difference in the corners.

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:35 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

the g45 is better in the center. the ZM planar has a flatter MTF but never hits the same level as the g45

Jim Buchanan posted this in another thread:

JimBuchanan wrote:
Me, too.

Look at the 40 line at f/4.0 out to the 1.5x crop at 14mm image height.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6005/5992317024_4ebcf621c2_z.jpg

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:29 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

I just started playing with the Contax G 45 on the NEX-7, and, wow, I think I may have to get used to a longer focal length for my standard lens. This thing is a reference lens. Damn you, sebboh!!

Like Makten, I'm debating whether the ZM 50/1.5 is worth the cost to me right now. I like the lens, but it isn't something I use all the time. My SMC Tak 50/1.4 is also a good portrait lens, so I could always just use that in those situations. None of my ZMs perform as well as my Gs at the edges on the NEX-7, in terms of vignetting and color shift, so I'm thinking about an all G lineup, outside of the CV 15 with CornerFix for occasional wider stuff (I don't go wide that often.)

Mar 23, 2012 at 05:17 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

Makten wrote:
Edit: The exit pupil of the Planar is quite far away from the sensor; much farther than the Sonnar, so I don't think the GXR will make much of a difference in the corners.

Every bit helps, good to know.

Douglas: Maybe a GXR-II will tempt you all. It is on my wish list to be sure.

Mar 23, 2012 at 06:37 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

There even seems to be a little purple shift on the Sonnar with the NEX-7.

Mar 23, 2012 at 06:40 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

douglasf13 wrote:
I just started playing with the Contax G 45 on the NEX-7, and, wow, I think I may have to get used to a longer focal length for my standard lens. This thing is a reference lens. Damn you, sebboh!!

bwahaha.

the lens is just awesome when it comes to fine detail, i want to get the NEX-7 just to do it justice.

Mar 23, 2012 at 07:51 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

Are there problems or issues with the adapters for the Contax G lenses? I recall some gripes but not sure exactly what the issues are.... If they are minor, this lens may be next on my list.

Mar 23, 2012 at 08:32 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Planar vs. Sonnar vs. Planar

Gary Clennan wrote:
Are there problems or issues with the adapters for the Contax G lenses? I recall some gripes but not sure exactly what the issues are.... If they are minor, this lens may be next on my list.

Yep, the G adapters have focus rings built in to them that all have kind of a grainy quality to them. The Metabones seems to have the smoothest feel, but it is large and heavy, and you have to remove the adapter to remove a lens from it. I've stuck with the Kipon adapter.

There are a couple of services that'll convert G lenses to M mount for a few hundred bucks, which I've been considering.

Mar 23, 2012 at 08:46 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.