Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

RRRoger
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

trenchmonkey wrote:
You boys need to tweak yer settings, then. I'll bet I can take your camera and enjoy an obscene rate of in focus captures. quote<<<<

The D7k may not be the easiest for many of us to configure.
I am not proud to say it took me almost three months to approach a really great keeper rate with my D7000,
while only one month with the D800 and about 10 minutes with each of the D1 to 4.
I never did get the D300 to work properly before trading it in for a second D3.

I think different cameras are designed for different shooters
...Show more

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:48 PM
robby521
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

shoot i give ya a beer for some help!

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:23 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

Don't rule out the possibility that individual cameras (i.e. not a significant percentage of the model production) can have defective AF. Get it checked/tweaked by Nikon. I had similar problems with Canon cameras and they were much improved after a service by Canon - and these were widely accepted as being very reliable pro models.

Then work on tweaking your settings to wring every last bit of performance from your camera, knowing that different situations can need different settings for best results.

- Alan

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:47 AM
thr1961
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

Latest update: my, umm, family situation has suggested that the "investment" in a D3S is not a priority right now (sound familiar?) and so I will likely be waiting for 3-6 months.

However, I can certainly swing a switch to a D700, which is running under half the price.

I know it gets me to full frame and is at least equal to if not better than my current D7K. I will lose the dual card slots, which I will miss. I do not use the video at all so, not an issue.

Thoughts on this? As noted, I am mainly looking for great high-ISO performance and the ability to shoot sports that are poorly lit. My 2 go-to lenses, the 24-70 2.8 and the 50mm 1.8 prime, are wonderful and will do great stuff no matter what body is used.

Should I just wait until I can get what I want or go for the mid-step of the 700?

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:58 AM
Chris Noyes
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

I've shot a D700 for the past 4 years and got many keepers inside poorly lit, public school gymnasiums. That said, I was always pushing the ISO to 4K/5K and felt the images were a bit noisy (though still acceptable).

With my new D4, I can get cleaner images with better color at 8000 ISO (2-stops better), while the AF engine just plain spoils you its so fast. Having never handled a D3s, I can only assume it performs similarly with a 12 MP sensor vs the 16 MP of the D4.

I've never had a dual-card camera before the D4, and I'm still not using dual cards (waiting to upgrade the computer before diving into XQD cards) so that's not a big deal for me. Ultimately, the D700 represents 4+ year old technology. If I were just committing to full-frame now, I think I would hold out until I could afford the newer cameras.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:37 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

thr1961 wrote:
Latest update: my, umm, family situation has suggested that the "investment" in a D3S is not a priority right now (sound familiar?) and so I will likely be waiting for 3-6 months.

However, I can certainly swing a switch to a D700, which is running under half the price.
Should I just wait until I can get what I want or go for the mid-step of the 700? quote<<<

The D700 is a great camera.
There will be a trade off between the newer technology of the D7000 and FX benefits.
The High ISO performance is not that much better.

Tell the family that you have
...Show more

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:43 AM
thr1961
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

Sadly, my wife is an MD and won't be impressed!

However, I do like the idea -- I should have gone big and then scaled back!!

My sense is to wait for the D3S. In the interim, perhaps I should start a group that collects best techniques for getting new gear through the approval process.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Guldsmed42

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

If you find the recipe, I am sure you can earn a nice income by selling advice :-)

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:48 PM
thedruid
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

So much hand wringing over a camera, look I'd love a BMW but the Honda Fit gets me to the same place, yep it's slower has less style and comfort....

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:26 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

thr1961 wrote:
Sadly, my wife is an MD and won't be impressed!

However, I do like the idea -- I should have gone big and then scaled back!!

My sense is to wait for the D3S. In the interim, perhaps I should start a group that collects best techniques for getting new gear through the approval process. quote<<<

But, she is not a psychiatrist is she?
Perhaps you should start a support group first, to establish credibility for your NAS.
In the mean time the prices keep going down on used cameras.
I am waiting for a near mint used D4 to drop myself. I don't care
...Show more

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

The D700 is a very good camera. But I bought the D3s for low light birding. I like to shoot wading birds while they feed at first light and no other camera allowed me the freedom to do that. The D3s focuses like none other I've used.
I also have a D7000, and although some have had good results with that model I find it useless for low light bird photography. It's not even good for birding when there is lots of light, at least not for me. Stills yes, action no. Maybe I have a bad copy, but not according to Nikon repair.

For the OP, I'd hold out for a D3s.

Wayne

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:22 PM
thr1961
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

OP here. I agree 100% and have decided to hold out for the D3S. It may take a few more months to save, but I know it is what I want in the end!

Thanks to all for the advice.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:29 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Ready to go full frame: best choice for high ISO?

Holy crap man, you have the patience of a saint. I would have already buckled, charged it to a credit card and be dining on Ramen and tuna fish for the next year

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:18 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password