New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Flickr request to use a photo

mark1958
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Flickr request to use a photo

I had a request from a print magazine once so I asked them for money and got almost 2000 dollars. I kept the rights of image ownership but gave them permission to publish in their magazines (multiple countries) for up to a 1 year period. It does not hurt to ask for money

Mar 13, 2012 at 04:13 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Flickr request to use a photo

river rover wrote:
Are you hoping to do more pub work? Then don't do it. If the pubs can get ALL of their pics for free, and you've proven that you are willing to give your stuff away, other pubs will expect it as well. If you decide you want to get paid at some point just be ready for them to massively underbid or decline altogether. There will be someone who will give them a similar photo for free just like you did. If you're driving traffic to a your website or photo hosting account,make sure that a url is included
...Show more

Definitely.

But then again... it's bound to happen. We've got more people and more quality photographic equipment out there than ever before. And photos are incredibly easy to share now. Supply and demand. Pros have to constantly ahead of the curve when it comes to creativity and technology.
(but this is true with most any profession and is simply the 'nature of things')

As an aside: I wouldn't want to have to support myself on photography. Tough profession. With money and art I very much favor the take-it-or-leave-it approach. I create something and if someone wants to purchase it...great. If not, not. I'd want only to shoot for myself.

Mar 13, 2012 at 04:16 PM
halie
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Flickr request to use a photo

Why would anyone want bragging rights, trying to impress a girl? I just don't see any value in having credit and bragging rights. What can you do with them? Are you going to show hopefully future clients that you had to give your work away for anyone to want it?

Mar 13, 2012 at 04:49 PM
chris.bersbach
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Flickr request to use a photo

There are a lot of points made here, not all of which I was able to read through, but I generally agree with the trust of them. That said, I've allowed a couple images to be used for for editorial purposes without pay before, and I have a pretty simple litmus test for when to *consider* allowing someone to use an image:

Is the author of the article being paid for his/her work? If yes, then the publication will not get to use one of my images for free. Period.

Mar 13, 2012 at 04:57 PM
halie
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Flickr request to use a photo

Don't get me wrong, bragging rights will in fact impress a girl, but they are far down the list of things that will. Above them are money, good looks, charm, intelligence, fitness, even an expensive camera.

Mar 13, 2012 at 05:04 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Flickr request to use a photo

halie wrote:
Don't get me wrong, bragging rights will in fact impress a girl, but they are far down the list of things that will. Above them are money, good looks, charm, intelligence, fitness, even an expensive camera.

We're equating bragging rights with fame. Fame counts. I got some duck shots published in a bridal magazine... got me more than a few bar-hookups. (let me remind you again that morality is all relative...)

Mar 13, 2012 at 05:08 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Flickr request to use a photo

Trust me, "credit with full name and/or website" is not nearly as thrilling or rewarding as you might imagine it will be. Especially since the odds that a publication that traffics in free images they get from Flickr is probably not exactly going to be regarded as the most prestigious place to have your work (and name and website...) shown.

The only situation in which I might consider granting a cost-free license for use of a photograph would be if:

a. the organization was itself a non-profit, and

b. I believed in the work of the non-profit organization to such an extent that I would otherwise be willing to donate cash to them, and

c. they were willing to sign a licensing agreement that very strictly limited their use of the image in ways agreeable to me and in line with the specific intended use only and without any additional use allowed. I would include specific language spelling out that no other uses were permitted under the limited license and that any other uses would require a separate agreement to be negotiated prior to use.

Bottom line: from what you are telling us - and it is perhaps not the whole story - this doesn't sound like something that you really want to get involved with.

Dan

BTW: Though it may not be exactly related to this specific case, if you are ever presented with terms for using your photograph that you are not comfortable with, simply say so. I have licensed images to magazines (for a fee) and then been asked to sign an agreement that permitted all sorts of uses that were not part of the original agreement. In one case the publisher wanted rights to remarker my photographs and give me a very small percentage fee and no control over the uses. In another they wanted not only the license for use in print, but they wanted essentially unlimited use in electronic media. I did not agree to these additional uses and they went along. (If they do want additional rights, they can pay for them now or they can decide to pay for them later.)

Timmeh wrote:
Hi everyone,

I received an email from a web magazine requesting the use of a photo from my flickr stream. This is mostly a hobby for me, and have made minimal money on selling a few landscape prints here and there. I'll leave out my own opinion for now just to get some discussion started. Here's the language used in the email with summarization where appropriate:

"[We would like to use photo X and can offer you credit with a full name and/or website].

In addition to possible publication on [X Magazine], [Y Publishing] (and its affiliates and licensees) may reproduce, distribute,
...Show more

Mar 13, 2012 at 05:15 PM
halie
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Flickr request to use a photo

Timmeh wrote:
Hi everyone,

I received an email from a web magazine requesting the use of a photo from my flickr stream.

Tim

If it is a duck shot then I would highly recommend letting them use it.

Mar 13, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Ruahrc
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Flickr request to use a photo

I too am just a hobbyist photographer but I guess my take on it is that any magazine that has enough exposure and influence to meaningfully increase your exposure, probably also has enough resources and legitimacy to offer you money for the use of your photo.

Basically, they imply that "compensation" will come in the form of increased exposure and credit via their magazine, but if they can't afford to pay you, how much exposure does their magazine really have?

Also I agree the terms of the usage seem pretty "generous". At the minimum, you should revise their terms to something more reasonable for what they're asking.

Norman

Mar 13, 2012 at 05:41 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Flickr request to use a photo

Why would you simply not just ask to be paid? If you are incapable of negotiation no will pay you.....ever.

Dave

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.