Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Where the Buffalo Roamed
  
 
Klaus Priebe
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Where the Buffalo Roamed


An image I worked on the other day with some Georgia O'keefe influence. Still a work in progress as many of them are.
Color version: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1092997







Mar 10, 2012 at 03:00 PM
santos
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Where the Buffalo Roamed


Both elements, the skull and the rocky and desertic environment, point at Native people who were able to use ressources without exhausting them (the buffalo), while living off almost terminally exhausted land. I think that shows strongly here, at least this is how I look at your work.

I don't know if buffalo ever roamed these canyons and ridges and mesas, perhaps one has to go way deeper in the past to see that happening.

santiago



Mar 10, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Klaus Priebe
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Where the Buffalo Roamed


santos wrote:
Both elements, the skull and the rocky and desertic environment, point at Native people who were able to use ressources without exhausting them (the buffalo), while living off almost terminally exhausted land. I think that shows strongly here, at least this is how I look at your work.

I don't know if buffalo ever roamed these canyons and ridges and mesas, perhaps one has to go way deeper in the past to see that happening.

santiago


Santiago,
Thanks for your thoughts here. Indeed the Buffalo did roam these areas and there are still places near here where they are still in existance.



Mar 10, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Charlie Shugart
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Where the Buffalo Roamed


Not my cuppa, but that doesn't matter.
This is certainly excellent work, and the O'keefe connection is quite remarkable.
Charlie



Mar 10, 2012 at 04:36 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



OntheRez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Where the Buffalo Roamed


Klaus,

I always enjoy your work including the experiments and the "works in progress." In this the one skull seems to lack connection to the cliffs and mesa behind. The difference in sharpness is part of my perceptual problem. Also, I keep getting the feeling that the skull should some how protrude from or be on the face of the cliffs.

Not to be overly pedantic, (okay, guess I am ) but your response to Santiago on the buffalo's range isn't completely correct. The "American Bison" was overwhelmingly a plains animal that largely stayed out of the mountains. Their historic range mostly ran from northern Mexico all the way to what is now eastern Alaska. Notable exceptions to this rule were places like Ute Pass in Colorado which allowed a summer migration from the high plains (now Colorado Springs) up to South Park. The other much more important exception was the low crossing of the continental divide at what is now known as Sherman Pass in Wyoming which allowed them to spread to southern Idaho, eastern Oregon and Washington, and down into Utah.

Buffalo certainly grazed where there were dramatic buttes and cliffs but specifically in New Mexico did not cross the Sangres.

Would love to see later stages of this work.

Robert



Mar 10, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Klaus Priebe
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Where the Buffalo Roamed


Thanks Charlie.

OntheRez wrote:
Klaus,

I always enjoy your work including the experiments and the "works in progress." In this the one skull seems to lack connection to the cliffs and mesa behind. The difference in sharpness is part of my perceptual problem. Also, I keep getting the feeling that the skull should some how protrude from or be on the face of the cliffs.

Not to be overly pedantic, (okay, guess I am ) but your response to Santiago on the buffalo's range isn't completely correct. The "American Bison" was overwhelmingly a plains animal that largely stayed out of the mountains. Their historic range
...Show more

Robert,
Thanks for your comments here.
This image was taken within a half mile of what would have been the Rio Chama river valley. There is a lake here now. Anyway the Buffalo or "American Bison" have been here for many, many years and many of the pueblos here have Buffalo dances. Who can really say where they roamed over the past hundreds if not thousands of years.

Besides its just an artistic interpretation from my minds eye. Not to be taken seriously with reality as we see it.
I find too many people can't lose their visions of "reality" and let their minds wander into the realm of artistic visualizations.


Edited on Mar 11, 2012 at 04:11 PM · View previous versions



Mar 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Klaus Priebe
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Where the Buffalo Roamed


Charlie Shugart wrote:
Not my cuppa, but that doesn't matter.
This is certainly excellent work, and the O'keefe connection is quite remarkable.
Charlie



Thanks Charlie



Mar 11, 2012 at 12:55 AM





FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password