1       2       3              41      
       43       end

Archive 2012 · NEX Discussion Thread

lumis beans
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.42 #1 · p.42 #1 · NEX Discussion Thread

teraflame wrote:
I bought the 5n EVF recently but there is a big problem with it. The eyepiece is atrociously useless, lots of purple reflections; I can see more clearly taking it off. Is there a replacement eyepiece that would be better? Or diy solution?

This guy seriously gets into it. Part 1 of 5:

How is the 5n EVF compared to the NEX-6? Any appreciable difference?

May 20, 2013 at 04:11 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.42 #2 · p.42 #2 · NEX Discussion Thread

lumis beans wrote:
How is the 5n EVF compared to the NEX-6? Any appreciable difference?

Whole new world when you go to the 6. Better refresh, less sensitive to eye position, far less issues with shadow blocking or excessive contrast. The 5n shares the 7's EVF optics and support electronics which means that the 6 is a whole lot better despite using the same basic panel.

May 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM
lumis beans
• •
p.42 #3 · p.42 #3 · NEX Discussion Thread

The NEX-6 body dropped by $100 at all the majors (Amazon, Adorama, and B&H) overnight.

B&H's note claims the $100 saving end on June 22.

I believe this applies to the kit, too.

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:57 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.42 #4 · p.42 #4 · NEX Discussion Thread

Is anyone using the 5r? I'm in possession of one (however temporarily) and can't find the display screen that has the meter on it. I found the histogram, but you can't use that and the level at the same time.

I was looking forward to using this camera because of the addition of the nav wheel, but after thirty minutes of menu diving and a thorough reading of the manual, in which it's pointed out that the nav wheel and multi-d pad control aperture and shutter depending on which shooting mode you're in but failing to point out which mode has them set which way, I figured out that shutter priority moves the shutter speed to the nav dial. Otherwise, it's aperture. Why are we not allowed to control that assignment? Ridiculous. I also seem to remember the 5n buttons being much more configurable. On the r, you can assign certain menu-driven items like shooting mode, AF mode, metering mode to the function button, and on the lower soft key, you can assign one of a few functions (like MF assist). Maybe I'm just remembering the customization nightmare of setting up the 7, but I thought the 5n was pretty flexible too. The r needs a firmware fix. Or do I have to buy an app?

That said, the files are just as great as those from the 5n. Unfortunately, being just as great, adding a wheel but dictating how it gets used, flaky wifi, and removing options doesn't make for much of an upgrade.

Jun 22, 2013 at 03:13 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.42 #5 · p.42 #5 · NEX Discussion Thread

I've been looking into getting an NEX converted for monochrome and have gotten responses from LifePixel and Maxmax, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested.

Lifepixel has no interest in trying it, stating that they consider the Bayer filter to be part of the sensor itself, but they'll happily remove the AA filter for you on an NEX-7.

Maxmax's response was much more positive. They've already converted an NEX-5 successfully and will likely try a 7 when they get time. The only downside is that, if they move forward with it, you will have to buy the camera from them. They won't taking the risk of trying to convert a user's camera.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.42 #6 · p.42 #6 · NEX Discussion Thread

freaklikeme wrote:
I've been looking into getting an NEX converted for monochrome and have gotten responses from LifePixel and Maxmax, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested.

Lifepixel has no interest in trying it, stating that they consider the Bayer filter to be part of the sensor itself, but they'll happily remove the AA filter for you on an NEX-7.

Maxmax's response was much more positive. They've already converted an NEX-5 successfully and will likely try a 7 when they get time. The only downside is that, if they move forward with it, you will have to buy the camera
...Show more

interesting, did they give you an estimate on how much they would charge? i was just going to for IR conversion to get my b&w only camera, i'm honestly not sure which i'd prefer.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:56 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.42 #7 · p.42 #7 · NEX Discussion Thread

sebboh wrote:
interesting, did they give you an estimate on how much they would charge? i was just going to for IR conversion to get my b&w only camera, i'm honestly not sure which i'd prefer.

No mention of potential price in the e-mail. I don't think they've gotten that far, but I'm guessing it won't be cheap. They're selling converted 3Ti's and 4Ti's for over 4x's the market value and a little less than 3x's what they retailed for at launch. A 5D3 will run you $6550, or you can get a 5D2 for a grand less. So it's kind of hard to tell where the NEX-7 will land if they decide to produce it. 1.8-3k, maybe?

Maxmax does offer all of the above in visible light, IR, or UV only configs, or you can have all three (or you can get them with an H-Alpha filter for astro) so I assume the product offering would be the same for the 7.

Maybe we should get a e-mail campaign going to Sony asking them to produce a Bayer-less, AA-less special edition of the 7. Two people asking for that should be enough, right?

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:27 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.42 #8 · p.42 #8 · NEX Discussion Thread

Anyone else sticking with the nex-7 series and avoiding any nex-ff thread? Not sure if I can justify the 4x premium + new lenses.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.42 #9 · p.42 #9 · NEX Discussion Thread

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Anyone else sticking with the nex-7 series and avoiding any nex-ff thread? Not sure if I can justify the 4x premium + new lenses.

I'm going to jump on the (or, back to the) FF-circus as soon as it arrives. But I'll keep my nex-7.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM
fracas
• •
p.42 #10 · p.42 #10 · NEX Discussion Thread

ulrikft2 wrote:
I'm going to jump on the (or, back to the) FF-circus as soon as it arrives.

same for me...and I will keep my NEX-6.

One question for you about NEX-6 AF. After I focus and release the shutter button, I noticed the AF refocus automatically every few secs even in AF-S mode... is there a way to stop this behaviour?

Thanks
francesco

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM
morpheus2891
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.42 #11 · p.42 #11 · NEX Discussion Thread

+1 will keep the NEX-6 for tele work and a backup but I'll get the FF body as soon as I've got enough $$ saved up and it's at the top of my savings list

ulrikft2 wrote:
I'm going to jump on the (or, back to the) FF-circus as soon as it arrives. But I'll keep my nex-7.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.42 #12 · p.42 #12 · NEX Discussion Thread

ken.vs.ryu wrote:

keep your old lenses and wait 6 months to a year to get a used camera from one of the early adopters.

i love my nex-7, but the idea of using my lenses on their native format is too enticing to pass up. for what it's worth, the sensor in the rx1 blows away the one in the nex-7 as far as noise goes at both high and low iso. dynamic range and color wise the difference is smaller, but still there.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.42 #13 · p.42 #13 · NEX Discussion Thread

Yep. Native format is why I want FF; the lower noise floor will help me get over the cost.

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:06 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.42 #14 · p.42 #14 · NEX Discussion Thread

It's funny how opinions change over time. I think the image quality of the nex-6 is usually at least as good if not better in many regards than what comes out of my 1DsII, at least as far as noise etc. is concerned. I am not a pro in any regard, but also won't be clamoring for a FF nex to address my unhappiness with noise in my humble 6. Maybe if I was using a newer DSLR I'd feel differently.

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:18 PM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.42 #15 · p.42 #15 · NEX Discussion Thread

At least for me, noise isn't the reason to get an FF NEX. The reason for me would be to have a small camera that is (fairly) easily compatible with many lenses and which gives the FF look to my lenses which were designed for FF (like the 35/1.4 distagon). If I was unhappy with the NEX-6 I wouldn't plan on keeping it after getting the FF NEX

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.42 #16 · p.42 #16 · NEX Discussion Thread

A big part of my decision whether to get a FF Nex will be based on size and ergonomics of the new camera and lenses. I originally moved from Nikon and Pentax to Nex in an effort to have a more compact system. I won't mind large lenses for the FF Nex if it works well with my compact RF lenses, but if the native lenses are large and I can't adapt RF lenses, I'll probably stick with APS-C Nexs or maybe consider a GXR replacement if it ever comes out.

I guess a more succinct way to say it is that I'd love to have the advantages of the FF sensor, but not if I have to pay too much of a penalty in size and portability of the system.

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:49 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.42 #17 · p.42 #17 · NEX Discussion Thread

Yeah, it's just a lot of if/thens right now, the biggest one being "if this actually happens, then I might be faced with that choice".

If they do release it, I'm not sure I'll be able to hold out long enough to pick up a good-priced used camera. I was able to show a surprising amount of patience (for me) in acquiring the 7 and a99, but the possibility of those two cameras smashed into one might push me straight into a pre-order frenzy.

Jul 18, 2013 at 02:46 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.42 #18 · p.42 #18 · NEX Discussion Thread

Is the aperture control of the NEX6 typical of the nex line (stop the lens down to the actual shooting aperture before the shot is taken), and if so, is this typical of all mirrorless systems? I didn't notice this until putting a ZE lens on the body, but now this is kind of driving me crazy, like, I kind of hate this.

It seems sony *tries* somewhat to keep the exposure in the screen/evf uniform, but it isn't 100% - the display dims quite a bit as you decrease the aperture.

I haven't seen this brought up in other threads, and I went straight from a point and shoot to an slr, so just assumed focussing wide open was de rigeur. Weird. Thanks for any edjamication.

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:47 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.42 #19 · p.42 #19 · NEX Discussion Thread

You're using an adapter and a ZE lens? Not sure if those smart adapters can do what you prefer.

NEX lenses will AF wide open though.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.42 #20 · p.42 #20 · NEX Discussion Thread

Yes, it was a metabones adapter, but not sure which version. The sigma 30 did the same thing. I wonder if only sony lenses focus wide open.Weirdest thing.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM
       43       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

43       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.