Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              35      
       37              42       43       end

Archive 2012 · NEX Discussion Thread

alwang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.36 #1 · p.36 #1 · NEX Discussion Thread

Jacob, most of the images I've seen you post are stopped down, in which case your plan makes a lot of sense. The only question is if you would miss the shallow DoF of the 35L, which I don't think you'll quite duplicate with the 24/1.8. That's the only reason I've been thinking about adding a FF SLR.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.36 #2 · p.36 #2 · NEX Discussion Thread

The 5N vs. any SLR is definitely a different experience. I'm sort of partial to TLR ergonomics, and in some strange way, the 5N feels similar (the way I normally handle it). The more I use it, the less I use my 5D. I wear glasses too, so a view finder has never been my best friend.

Al, most of the images you've seen me post are here in the Alt forum probably, thus posted with my 5N and mostly slow lenses. I have (not recently) posted in the people forum where I use the 35L much more for family photojournalistic type of shots. Sometimes I like the shallow DOF, but more often than not I'd prefer a little more DOF to be honest. Taking a photo of 2 kids in poor lighting and keeping them both in focus at f1.4 is pretty tough to do... this is part of what started me thinking about making some changes.

The other part is, I just want to simplify.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:42 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.36 #3 · p.36 #3 · NEX Discussion Thread

Anyone have b&w jpg only settings for the Nex-7?

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:21 PM
MRosth

p.36 #4 · p.36 #4 · NEX Discussion Thread

ken.vs.ryu wrote:

Have some on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrosth/

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.36 #5 · p.36 #5 · NEX Discussion Thread

jacob i say give it a try if you don't think you need 35/1.4 dof, i might be tempted to upgrade to the NEX-6 depending on how you feel about viewfinders and more controls and whether you think you'll miss them.

ken.vs.ryu wrote:

+3 contrast, +1 sharpness, is what i use when i want to see b&w through the viewfinder. it blocks up the shadows obviously and you have to be much more careful about exposure, but it comes kinda close to how i will typically process them in raw.

here's a few shots that i believe are minimally processed (i probably added a healthy chunk of vignetting) from those jpeg settings:

this one is a stitch from SOC jpgs:

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:42 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.36 #6 · p.36 #6 · NEX Discussion Thread

Thanks for the tips. I'll be taking snaps at a party.

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:58 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.36 #7 · p.36 #7 · NEX Discussion Thread

In case anyone's interested, Maurizio has updated his profiles to include the 5R and 6 here.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:15 AM
twelveish
• •
p.36 #8 · p.36 #8 · NEX Discussion Thread

So I'm currently using a NEX-5n almost exclusively with legacy glass. I don't have the EVF. I need an EVF. My biggest gripe with the 5n is the lack of physical controls and need for quite a bit of menu diving. I'm holding off getting the EVF for 5n because I've been contemplating a Fuji or the NEX-6. I sort of discarded the NEX-6 mainly because the control wheel under the mode dial can't be reconfigured to personal preference much. I think I would like it to be able to act as an exposure compensation dial.

But now I'm not sure. If my understanding is correct I would be able to shoot in shutter priority, adjusting the aperture on the lens of course, and have the wheel be the shutter speed dial. Right? And would this setup also allow auto ISO? That might make it all worth it.

Can anyone with experience from both the 5n and 6 with legacy glass give me their thoughts on this?

Cheers!

Edit: Oh, and does the 6 handle corners with certain legacy wide(ish) lenses as well as the 5n? Any differences there at all?

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:01 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.36 #9 · p.36 #9 · NEX Discussion Thread

Yep you can go aperture priority in good light then switch to shutter priority when the cam chooses less than optimal speed - all with auto iso.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.36 #10 · p.36 #10 · NEX Discussion Thread

If I understood the question, it was about shutter priority with auto-iso.

Yes, you can do that.

What do you find yourself menu diving for? 5N + Legacy glass is a very intuitive setup for me using either manual exposure, or shutter priority as described above (which is effectively manual + auto-iso). I almost never find myself in any menus other than changing my ISO which I assigned to my custom menu.

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

twelveish
• •
p.36 #11 · p.36 #11 · NEX Discussion Thread

Thanks. I guess it's mainly that I find the rear dial on the 5n a bit fiddly. Trying to figure out if the 6 would make the shooting experience feel more involved and intuitive for me. The add-on EVF is almost half the price of a new NEX-6 here so... not sure.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM
briantho
• • •
p.36 #12 · p.36 #12 · NEX Discussion Thread

Just discovered an oddity.

On NEX-7, the shutter can be triggered by remote while zoomed in for manual focus. This couldn't be done with the 5N. I don't imagine many people need this or care, but for macro work I was disappointed when it didn't work on 5N.

I wish they would remove the remote mode from the drive menu, and just put a remote on/off in the menu to allow everything to be controlled by remote, like bracketing etc.

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:59 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.36 #13 · p.36 #13 · NEX Discussion Thread

briantho wrote:
I wish they would remove the remote mode from the drive menu, and just put a remote on/off in the menu to allow everything to be controlled by remote, like bracketing etc.

Yeah, this is a something people have been complaining about since the A700, so it doesn't look like Sony is changing it anytime soon.

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:07 PM
alwang
• • •
p.36 #14 · p.36 #14 · NEX Discussion Thread

So, no one's picked up the Sony 35 1.8 yet? The reviews have so far been good, but I'm waiting to see some sample photos from members here.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-e-35mm-f-1-8-oss-lens-review-20665

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:16 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.36 #15 · p.36 #15 · NEX Discussion Thread

alwang wrote:
So, no one's picked up the Sony 35 1.8 yet? The reviews have so far been good, but I'm waiting to see some sample photos from members here.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-e-35mm-f-1-8-oss-lens-review-20665

So far, that's the only review on the lens I've seen. I'm interested in the lens and waiting for more info before I pull the trigger.

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:29 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.36 #16 · p.36 #16 · NEX Discussion Thread

The Sony HVL-F20AM flash unit is currently on sale at Sears: $79.99 w/free shipping.

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.36 #17 · p.36 #17 · NEX Discussion Thread

Popped in here to add the following:
- Updated this spreadsheet with compatible lenses by focal length and weight.

- Decided to sell my 5D and all my Canon goods. Going strictly with the NEX. I'll be selling my CV 15/4 and 25/2.5 if anyone's interested just drop me a msg or watch the B&S forum.

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:49 AM
Hawkan
• •
p.36 #18 · p.36 #18 · NEX Discussion Thread

Darn.

I lost my NEX-5N yesterday, along with the EVF, Vivitar 28mm f/2 and a custom QR plate.

Since I lost the EVF along with the camera I want to replace it with a camera with built-in EVF. How does the NEX-6 compare to the NEX-7? Any reason to go with one over the other? I was very pleased with the resolution of the NEX-5N so I think the NEX-6 would do just as well in that regard.

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:12 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.36 #19 · p.36 #19 · NEX Discussion Thread

The NEX-7 is slightly larger in the hands, from memory, but the viewfinder on the NEX-6 is improved. Faster refresh, and possibly tighter pixel pitch? I am not quite sure of the specification details, suffice it to say that I didn't like the NEX-7 viewfinder so much, but the NEX-6 one crossed a threshold for me. I think also that the NEX-6 takes adapted wides better, but someone else with actual knowledge should definitely chime in here.

What happened to your 5N?

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:37 AM
alba63
• • •
p.36 #20 · p.36 #20 · NEX Discussion Thread

carstenw wrote:
but the viewfinder on the NEX-6 is improved. Faster refresh, and possibly tighter pixel pitch? I am not quite sure of the specification details, suffice it to say that I didn't like the NEX-7 viewfinder so much

As several reviews have pointed out, it is exactly the same EVF as in the Nex-7. It would surprise me that they have built a different EVF with the same pixel count for a camera of the same family with almost an identical camera body.
The Nex viewfinder does not rival a good optical one, but it is very useable and gets the job done. The attractive point of the Nex is it's size/ weight with very high image quality.

Bernie

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:15 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password