Archive 2012 · NEX Discussion Thread

vallejo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · NEX Discussion Thread

NEX 5N with:
*Contax C-Y 28 2.8: Very good
*50 1.7: Very good
*85 2.8: So so...think I got a bad copy...
*CV 15mm 4.5: Very good
*18-55 kit lens: I have to test it further.Not sure if I'm losing something, I just tend to despise kit lenses, which may be foolish of me...

Has anyone create Adobe lens Profiles for Cv 15mm 4.5 on 5n? I know about Cornerfix, but profiling on ALP seems much more straightfoward for those using Adobe software... I tried, but my app refuses to process the images I shot, can't figure out why...

Mar 11, 2012 at 02:07 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · NEX Discussion Thread

One more question - has anyone found a good fitting battery case? Small ziplock is OK, but not great.

Mar 11, 2012 at 02:23 PM
slungu
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · NEX Discussion Thread

NEX 5N after a NEX 3 with:

ZM18/4 - great lens
ZM35/2 - also great
Leica Elmar-C 90/4 - nice small lens, because of the good high ISO of the NEX pretty usable.

I have two problems with the NEX : unlike philber I find I need higher shutter speeds when shooting the NEX - of course from waist level and I have a trouble focusing for infinity with any of my adapters. These were better in the SLR days with C/Y Zeiss lenses, but that package was big and heavy, so I am willing to try this for a while - any hints on this will help ( already shooting auto ISO and this already improved my keeper rate ).

Mar 11, 2012 at 02:25 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · NEX Discussion Thread

Stefan, the key word for me is that I don't "hold" the NEX, I just let it rest on my left hand, my fifth left finger under the body, and the index under the front of the lens. Then, all I have to do is to not shake it up with my right hand when taking the shot.
As far as reaching infinity, all my lenses go beyond infinity on my 3 adapters (for Leica R, for Contax G, for M), except one which reaches infinity at the hard stop.
Hope this helps

Mar 11, 2012 at 03:10 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · NEX Discussion Thread

slungu wrote:
I have two problems with the NEX : unlike philber I find I need higher shutter speeds when shooting the NEX - of course from waist level and I have a trouble focusing for infinity with any of my adapters.

I have the same problem, to get reliable sharp results i have to use a shutterspeed of 1/2xFL or less. So philber, how exactly do you hold your Nex?
http://phillip-voigt.de/FM/HolingTheNex-5n%20(1%20von%201).jpg
I think that the use of an EVF should improve the ability to hold longer shutterspeeds because then you have a third point of contact.

Another question to all Nex-5n users who own the EVF: is it worth the investment?

Mar 11, 2012 at 03:13 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · NEX Discussion Thread

Hi, Phillip. Do you lock your arms to your side and exhale before you shoot? I usually shoot 1/1.5x to be safe, but I can hold with shutterspeeds slower than 1/1 pretty reliably.

I do think the EVF is worth it. It makes manual focusing even faster and more confident, for me, and it's great when it is bright out. I generally shoot it like a Hasselblad 45 degree prism finder.

Mar 11, 2012 at 03:21 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · NEX Discussion Thread

i've been shooting a NEX-3 since soon after the NEX was released. after ~60-80k actuations i'm beginning to see uneven exposure at shutter speeds faster than 1/2000, so i'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to a NEX-7 or 5N. i'm trying hold out till june as i don't like to replace a camera more often than once every two years, i hear sony might release something new by then too.

my most used lenses in rough order of use are:
olympus pen f 42/1.2
contax g 45/2
rokkor 24/2.8
rokkor MC PG 50/1.4
c/y 35/1.4
jupiter-3
rokkor MD W 28/2
sony E 16/2.8
nikkor 105/2.5
OM 85/2
rokkor MC PG 135/2.8

i also have a bunch of other slr lenses i use occasionally on the NEX... i'm a bit of a lensaholic.

slungu wrote:
I have a trouble focusing for infinity with any of my adapters. These were better in the SLR days with C/Y Zeiss lenses, but that package was big and heavy, so I am willing to try this for a while - any hints on this will help ( already shooting auto ISO and this already improved my keeper rate ).

my hint for the thread: shooting landscape at infinity is much easier with a focus stop at the lenses best infinity focus. even though most adapters allow focus past infinity this can be achieved fairly easily by either shimming the adapter or adjusting the lens. adapters can be shimmed without any special tools, by using layers of tinfoil. if you don't use your lenses on another camera, it is often simpler to simply adjust the infinity focus on the lens (for most c/y lenses i believe this can be done by loosening the screws on the focus ring and adjusting).

Mar 11, 2012 at 03:21 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · NEX Discussion Thread

A bit unrelated to the photography part of the thread, but for any gearheads, the insides of the NEX are phenomenal examples of design and engineering.

Undressing an NEX

Mar 11, 2012 at 03:37 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · NEX Discussion Thread

That's very cool, Roger. Thanks for sharing.

Mar 11, 2012 at 03:45 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · NEX Discussion Thread

Phillip - I sold my EVF. Not worth it to me, keeping in mind that I wear glasses full time. In bright and sunny conditions, exactly when I thought it would help most, there is too much blinding side light infiltration. I am happiest with an LCD shade & setting the LCD to 'sunny'.

Mar 11, 2012 at 04:39 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · NEX Discussion Thread

mco_970 wrote:
Phillip - I sold my EVF. Not worth it to me, keeping in mind that I wear glasses full time. In bright and sunny conditions, exactly when I thought it would help most, there is too much blinding side light infiltration. I am happiest with an LCD shade & setting the LCD to 'sunny'.

the glasses comment is an important note to make about viewfinders. i'm constantly reading people saying things that make no sense to me about one viewfinder or another and then finding out 20 posts down that it's because they wear glasses.

is it not possible to put a larger eyecup on the accessory evf?

Mar 11, 2012 at 04:42 PM
vallejo
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · NEX Discussion Thread

I use the evf on the Nex, wear glasses and find no problems about it...

Mar 11, 2012 at 04:48 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · NEX Discussion Thread

I don't think it is, D. I haven't applied a lot of pressure to it, but I think the eye-cup on the EVF is fixed.

I don't wear glasses and I do like the EVF, but I find I use the screen just as much. Mostly it depends on the focal length I've got mounted and what I'm shooting. With the 24 and 40, I use the screen more because it's easier for me to get a feel for the composition on the whole, and the DoF is rarely so thin that I need the distractionless advantage of the EVF to achieve proper focus. Also, wider lenses are more forgiving with less than optimal shooting stances. With the 60 and 90, I use the EVF more, for increased stability and because the depth of field is a bit more critical with how I use those lenses. Also, the tilt function gives you a great angle finder.

My only complaints with the EVF is the lousy diopter implementation. It's tiny, but the slider moves at the slightest touch. Edited to add... it's not in the best place when mounted if you're left-eye dominant. Unless you have no nose. Then it would be fine.

Mar 11, 2012 at 05:02 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · NEX Discussion Thread

I have the EVF but dont use it so I'm probably going to pass it on. Got too accustomed to clicking the screen where I want to focus and then to involve the EVF takes too much time for me. Being an EVF it's great though, very clear and crisp and once I tried makro with it and a helicoid adapter which was very impressive.

Mar 11, 2012 at 05:55 PM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · NEX Discussion Thread

It's not fixed. It's removable and it's kept with two tabs, one at the top and one at the bottom. I suppose it'd be really easy to make another one for glass wearers… I've been thinking for a while I should make one, but I haven't yet found the time… I was kind of hoping that some chinese factory would come up with a replacement, but it hasn't happened yet (that I'm aware of)

Mar 11, 2012 at 07:18 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · NEX Discussion Thread

xbarcelo wrote:
It's not fixed. It's removable and it's kept with two tabs, one at the top and one at the bottom. I suppose it'd be really easy to make another one for glass wearers… I've been thinking for a while I should make one, but I haven't yet found the time… I was kind of hoping that some chinese factory would come up with a replacement, but it hasn't happened yet (that I'm aware of)

Yes, you can remove it. I didn't want to cobble something big enough to work together - first, it would not likely stay on through my mountain biking adventures, etc., second, it would undoubtedly look like the cat's ass. Which I do not want to stick my eye against. .

+1 for what Wilhelm said about it messing up the touch screen experience - I love the touch screen so I'd rather use it for focusing.

This all has also lead me to rely more on the kit lens when I think it might be too bright, but overall I'm finding the kit lens to be pretty decent. I'd personally rather use the kit lens if it's too bright than possibly struggle with the EVF - which just didn't work for me at all sometimes. As soon as the sun is hitting the sweet spot for good images (golden hour), I can see the LCD just fine to use my CY lenses so the whole process is working fine and not particularly bugging me. YMMV and all that.

Mar 11, 2012 at 09:46 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · NEX Discussion Thread

Sounds like an interesting brand name... Catzass Eye Cups.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · NEX Discussion Thread

Hi

5N from NEX 3

Mostly M lenses:

ZM 25 2.8
35 cron ASPH
ZM 50 2.0
75 summarit

tips: zone focus and carry a smart phone on the other hand yields very nice candid
*I dont think my tip will be very useful but oh well..

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · NEX Discussion Thread

mco_970 wrote:
Yes, you can remove it. I didn't want to cobble something big enough to work together - first, it would not likely stay on through my mountain biking adventures, etc., second, it would undoubtedly look like the cat's ass. Which I do not want to stick my eye against. .

Thanks for the laugh.

douglasf13 wrote:
Agreed. That's also another reason I like the tilt EVF, because I can lock my arms at my side, and it's very stable.

That leads me to another concern about the Nex-7. With Contax G lenses, I like to shoot with my left hand palm down (rather than the usual palm up,) with my middle finger and thumb on the focus ring, because it is easier to grab the focus ring that is so close to the camera body (and my left index finger is there to easily reach the EVF on/off button.) The 5N's tilt EVF gets my face
...Show more

Yes, up to my eye like my 1DIII, some days my hands shake like crazy, others I have no problem, it may be caused by not eating much before going out, but it's still an issue some days.

I also have used waist level method too, but the POV is too low at times(candid's) I've had some success using my shoulder bag which is fairly high, to support my arm and be able to shoot portrait style with the camera against my chest, and it doesn't look like I'm actively taking pictures.

Mar 12, 2012 at 06:52 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · NEX Discussion Thread

I've been trying to get an accurate cornerfix profile, but everything looks like (rap.
What's your method?
My most accurate method so far(still have to redo again) is to hold a PEC pad over the lens aimed at the sky, with +.7EC
Original(Industar 69)

With CF

Mar 12, 2012 at 07:38 PM
1       2      
       4              42       43       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              42       43       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.