New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Armani with Attitude...

cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Armani with Attitude...

Doug,

Your characterization isn't accurate. I never say my way is the only way. I say, "try this is works for me — I post examples — then try everything else and compare and sort out what works best for you."

I offer a systematic cause and effect, not rule based, baseline approach that works for me which is base on ideas that have worked for others since the introduction of artificial light. The use of contrast to create the illusion in 2D art has been around since the 14th century. In recent thread I compared a suggested change in lighting strategy via an edit is did to the Mona Lisa. When both were blurred the highlight patterns were identical.

I don't suggest my advice is the only way. I frequently suggest that anyone taking it also try everything else and sort out what works for them. Mostly I suggest working from goals, such as flattering a face, and then developing criteria for what they think flatters a face. That in turn gives them a personalized checklist to evaluate their results from their criteria. I will also tell them my criteria, such as lighting in the eyes and no distracting dark nose shadow, and how to produce them. Trying and being able execute a few baseline lighting patterns is the starting point not a roadblock to creativity that is about understanding cause and effect, not about rules.

Advice is repetitive because people ask the same questions. Here you can address them in reference to where they are on the learning curve. Some understand things you and I take for granted, other don't. I don't presume to change their artistic approach, only to show ways I find the message could be delivered more effectively.

As for trolls?

The first rule here is be civil. Think about that next time you are tempted to compare me to Chauncey the gardener or some old TV character. Ask yourself would you do that to my face or taunt a co-worker or neighbor that way? Is that the way you like to be treated? Maybe then you'll understand why I consider your comments trolls.

I stopped posting at DPR in 2007 and moved here to avoid crossing swords with you. You followed me here. You never posted in Critiques during the several months I commented entirely by PMs. In the first public message, made after requests from some of the regulars, you pop up with a Troll — not about the photo being discussed but my advice. I switched back to PM for a view months and the pattern repeated. You like to put yourself in the role of moderator warning others of the heresy of my ideas but that's not your job, it's flaw in your character which diminishes the positive contribution you make here.

Mar 03, 2012 at 01:56 PM
FarCry

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Armani with Attitude...

An honor and a pleasure to read the honest give-and-take here, and the professional manners displayed by all.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Mar 03, 2012 at 02:28 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Armani with Attitude...

cgardner wrote:
Doug,

You never posted in Critiques during the several months I commented entirely by PMs.

You seem to be far more aware of my comings and goings than I am. Interesting.

Mar 03, 2012 at 03:30 PM
silvawispa
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Armani with Attitude...

Haven't you two done this enough?

Lay-off and get back to photography!

Charles, do you have an answer for me?

Mar 03, 2012 at 04:38 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Armani with Attitude...

silvawispa wrote:
Lay-off and get back to photography!

Absolutely. Just got back from outside testing new extension tubes. Had a great time. If I got anything, I'll post.

Mar 03, 2012 at 05:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Armani with Attitude...

I just came in from the garage ... making an epoxy solution to repair the thumbwheel on my light meter.

Does that count for mixing creative and technical in the realm of photography?

Mar 03, 2012 at 05:23 PM
pdx_B-Rad
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Armani with Attitude...

^^^^^^
Funny.

Mar 05, 2012 at 03:34 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.