Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

neighbourboy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

So I know it's lame to bump your own, really old thread, but the album came in last night and I thought I'd just give y'all an update, in case any were interested. I went with a Vision Art album and those guys did an insanely good job. I am completely thrilled with the work they do. I honestly think they made me look like a better photographer, than I really am! They were also awesome to work with, very helpful and extremely nice customer service.

One big thing I learned, is that if you plan on doing any full bleed prints, give yourself a little extra room on the edges when shooting. The picture can be cropped anywhere within 1/4'' of the print when going full bleed. So there were a couple I had to resize and put a border, because I didn't want any cropping. Others I had enough space and was good.

So here are pictures of the album.

Doug, if you stumble on this, thanks for pointing me to VA. I'm so glad I went with them.

And Chuck big thanks to you for the encouragement as well. In case you wanna see the changes I made after reading your suggestion, here are the updated spreads. When I look back at my old layouts, I like the newer ones waaaaay better. So, huge thanks, buddy. I was also laughing when it ended up being exactly 35 spreads, just like you said. I wasn't aiming for that number, but it just worked out that way. I thought "Man, he really knew what he was talking about"

16 On the left, I would have actually preferred the wide shot on top, but I was worried about cutting too close on the upper crop. I had more room on the close shot, so I had to swap them.

This was one I had to resize, because I didn't want the little bit of her head on the left picture getting cropped.

Take care
--David

========================================================================

Greetings FMers,

I put a small book together to try and tell the story of my daughter's second year, just like I did for the 1st year. I tried to incorporate some of the suggestions from last year into this book. Hopefully I'll keep it up and do this every year. Here was last year's book - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/967024/

Here's this year's book, I haven't sent it off to be printed yet, though. I'm always open to feedback. I think these have all been posted here thoughout the last year or so, so sorry if you're alread tired of them ;-)

-David

Cover

Page1-2

Page3-4

Page5-6

Page7-8

Page9-10

Page11-12

Page13-14

Page15-16

Page17-18

Page19-20

Page21-22

Page23-24

Page25-26

Page27-28

Page29-30

Page31-32

Page33-34

Page35-36

Page37-38

page39-40

Page41-42

Page43-44

Page45-46

Page47-48

Page49-50

Edited on Mar 23, 2012 at 06:53 PM · View previous versions

Feb 29, 2012 at 08:48 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Very fun David - 10, 19,33 and 47 for me! I always enjoy your posts... thanks for sharing more. I think it's easier to digest in a forum when its just one set at a time, so you may not get a huge response to this post.

In general, I like your color work the best - you have so much energy packed into each frame its a pleasure to view. Of course, this book is going to be a treasure for your family. Nice work - you're definitely one of the people I hope to emulate around here!

-Ben

Mar 01, 2012 at 01:45 AM
Agilehound
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

What a good dad you are!! These made me smile. It's also noticeable that your eye for composition has really grown with your child!

Mar 01, 2012 at 02:28 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

perfect.

do yourself a favor....you'll thank me in 10 years. sign up with a printer like vision art or kiss or finao or ________. just apply as 'boyd photography'. buy a 'sample album' (half price but it will say 'studio copy' in the back). it'll be half price and 10x the quality of the adorama albums. i promise.

Mar 01, 2012 at 02:28 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

actually, i take back my 'perfect'!

here is what i think would really make this album sing. same images, pretty much the same arrangements, but more room around them. and maybe space things out a bit so you get to like 70 pages (35 spreads). there are too many good images that get lost in the clutter. they need more space/breathing room.

Mar 01, 2012 at 02:31 AM
vawill84
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

page 11-12...right image....golden

hell of a series david

I agree with Ben in that your colors/tones are awesome, you guys will definitely appreciate these down the road.

Mar 01, 2012 at 03:03 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Ben, thanks buddy. Yeah, I wasn't expecting a huge response with so many. There are only a handfull of folks that can pull that off :-)

Thank you Michelle. It was kinda interesting to see the difference in style, even in the last year, when they are all packed together like this. Not a huge difference, but baby steps for me.

Chuck. Great advice, I like your idea of spreading it out a bit. Some of the pages do seem a bit busy, now that I look at it again. And I'll give it a shot with the big boys. Hopefully they won't give me the big old rejected.

Thanks for the compliment on the tones, Will. I think I've spent waaay too much time trying to figure those out.

Mar 01, 2012 at 03:18 AM
Ana Reyes
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

What's up Dave? Its been awhile, but man I love looking at your work. Really great and she is a cutie for sure. You have a clue with this picture taking thing for sure.

Al

Mar 01, 2012 at 07:21 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Thanks Al. Good to hear from you, buddy.

Mar 01, 2012 at 11:31 PM
khmerxbxboi

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

great shot !!! love the energy from the family.

Mar 02, 2012 at 02:37 AM

zalmyb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Wow, you have some spectacular "footage" going on. I'm quite envious of your storytelling skills (though I know it's something you've been consciously working on), and I'm inspired to better mine.

I've seen most of these, but when grouped together like this they really work well. I'll try to actually comment on the spreads when I get a chance but off the bat the photos from page 33 are really good. It makes you want for vertical spreads...

Mar 02, 2012 at 06:53 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

just a great presentation and agree with more spacing. I remember some of these as threads over the months. Been a wonderful project to watch. Keep at it and awesome work!

Mar 02, 2012 at 12:21 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Heirloom.

Great work David.

Make it a BIG book if you can!

Mar 02, 2012 at 01:43 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Once again, thanks for the encouragement, everybody.

--David

Mar 02, 2012 at 03:51 PM
timhpark
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Awesome, as always, David! The tones that you create...just wonderful. I echo Chuck's words about a studio copy!

Tim

Mar 02, 2012 at 07:07 PM
joecamz

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Hi David! Love the book, its inspired me to do something similar with my son. May I ask what program you used to make the book?

Mar 02, 2012 at 07:24 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Thanks again everybody.

Tim, thanks my friend, I'm working on getting setup for using the higher end printers. Of course that means, I'll have to redo these with a different template if they accept me, but that's OK.

Joe, I just did it manually in Photoshop. It's kinda slow and tedious, but I've gotten faster at it. I've gotten lots of suggestions over the last year on different programs to use, but I'm just too darn cheap to buy them. Some of the ones I've heard are Fundy, Blogstomp, Storyboard and inDesign.

--David

Mar 02, 2012 at 09:02 PM
khphoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Words can even describe how awesome your work is. Your daughter will absolutely love this when she gets older.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Mar 03, 2012 at 05:17 PM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived

Fantastic!

Mar 04, 2012 at 05:23 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · / FPJ / Year two - album arrived