Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Fred Miranda wrote:
Ok, here is the deal. I don't know anything about these lenses and will not read the thread looking for clues.
To be able to implement this I would need 100% help. I would need the correct "name" of each lens, a "picture" of it, "description" and "specs". Maybe someone can create a quick html page with this info. Perhaps we need to condensate the list to about 30 lenses (the most popular ones). As soon as I have this list I would be happy to add a section to the reviews page.

This is precisely how I envisioned the process would work Fred. We'll aggregate the information, all of which is readily available. Perhaps we'll utilize this thread for the conversation simply to not have it lost in the fast moving NMFG thread. We'll begin the list and then perhaps negotiate with you about the final number. I understand the need to limit it and 30 may be workable, but I'd like to hear from others using these lenses before creating a final list.

I really appreciate your willingness to entertain this Fred. Thanks!

Mar 14, 2012 at 04:51 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

And so I'll begin with some obvious choices. The first group is based on speed and is pretty obvious to folks using these lenses...

28 f/2 AI or AI-s
35 f/1.4 AI-s (9 blades)
50 f/1.2 AI-s (9 blades)
55 f/1.2 AI
58 f/1.2 AI-s
85 f/1.4 AI-s
105 f/1.8 AI-s
135 f/2 AI or AI-s
180 f/2.8 AI-s

The next group consists of well regarded lenses of their respective focal lengths that are generally available at prices mere mortals can entertain.

16 f/3.5 AI
16 f/2.8 AI-s
20 f/2.8 AI-s
24 f/2.8 AI or AI-s
28 f/2.8 AI-s (CRC)
35 f/2 AI or AI-s
50 f/1.8 AI or AI-s
85 f/2 AI or AI-s
105 f/2.5 AI or AI-s
135 f/3.5 AI or AI-s
135 f/2.8 AI or AI-s
200 f/4 AI or AI-s

Micro lenses...

55 f/3.5 AI
55 f/2.8 AI-s
105 f/2.8 AI-s

Long lenses...

200 f/2 AI or AI-s (?)
300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF
300 f/2.8 AI or AI-s (?)
400 f/5.6 AI-s ED or ED-IF
500 f/4 AI-p (?)

Zoom lenses...

25-50 f/4 AI or AI-s
35-70 f/3.5 AI or AI-s
50-135 f/3.5 AI-s
80-200 f/4 AI-s
80-200 f/4.5 AI
100-300 f/5.6 AI-s

This is 35 lenses that I can imagine including... others? I've added question marks behind lenses that might not make sense for this list. Thoughts?

Remember, this is not intended to be an exhaustive list but rather one that aligns with where most folks will have questions should they be assessing these lenses. I've excluded lenses that have limited appeal either because of price or what the lens does. We all love the 8 f/2.8 AI or AI-s but few will want to spend $2,000 for that kind of lens. And Gregory loved the 300 f/2 AI-s but few can afford the $10,000 plus price tag or the physical strength to lift it...

Mar 14, 2012 at 05:23 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Another note regarding this process... There are reviews of most of these lenses elsewhere on the internet, so folks who want "professional" reviews will be able to find them. What this section will be about is sharing the experience of ordinary folks who've used the lenses in question. That necessitates, of course, that there are users who will visit this section of the site and add their comments. Not many folks own the NOCT, which means the pool of folks available to comment on this will be limited. The same is true with less expensive lenses that few people own. One person posted shots with the 20 f/4 AI-s for example. Gary did great work with the lens, but having one review from one person hardly gives potential buyers much to go on. The same can be said for any number of lenses that appear from time to time on the Nikon Manual Focus Glass thread. I believe in the spirit of what Fred hopes to achieve, we need to focus attention on lenses that are being used regularly that inspire members to share comments. Sometimes less is more...

Mar 14, 2012 at 06:10 PM
montym
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

CGrindahl wrote:
What this section will be about is sharing the experience of ordinary folks who've used the lenses in question.)

I think that is what will make this work. I am more interested in hearing opinions of people who USE the equipment!

Monty

Mar 14, 2012 at 06:25 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

That will include YOU Monty... You've been diligently learning about these lenses over the last few months and putting the one's you've bought through their paces. That means your experience will be worth sharing. This will need to be a collaborative venture...

Mar 14, 2012 at 07:09 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

It occurs to me that certain sub categories can be added as we go. As example the 35mm 2.0 can not only judge that particular lens but a comparison can be added to that thread to include the 35mm 2.8 Just a thought to consider when lenses are selected.

Mar 14, 2012 at 07:10 PM
montym
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

CGrindahl wrote:
That will include YOU Monty... You've been diligently learning about these lenses over the last few months and putting the one's you've bought through their paces. That means your experience will be worth sharing. This will need to be a collaborative venture...

Will the words. "It's Cool" be an adequate review
Monty

Mar 14, 2012 at 07:11 PM
pdx_B-Rad
• • •
p.2 #8 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Curtis I think the 24 F2 is a good one as it is usually a hot debate lens. The Tessar 45 2.8 ??, this is a lens I want because it is so small and so good. Also no section for the most modern of the MF glass? PC-E?

A few of the rare lenses like the 80-200, 200-400, 800 5.6, 1200mm would be nice as not a ton of info on them is out there..but again out of range for most people.

Mar 14, 2012 at 07:22 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Fred Miranda wrote:
Ok, here is the deal. I don't know anything about these lenses and will not read the thread looking for clues.
To be able to implement this I would need 100% help. I would need the correct "name" of each lens, a "picture" of it, "description" and "specs". Maybe someone can create a quick html page with this info. Perhaps we need to condensate the list to about 30 lenses (the most popular ones). As soon as I have this list I would be happy to add a section to the reviews page.

At the very least, the list should include the 8 Nikkor AIS lenses that are still in current production:

20mm f2.8 AIS
24mm f2.8 AIS
28mm f2.8 AIS
35mm f1.4 AIS
50mm f1.2 AIS
50mm f1.4 AIS
55mm f2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor
105mm f2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor

All the specs and data are available on places like the Nikon web site - just like most of the lenses currently in the review section already.

Mar 14, 2012 at 07:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

pdx_B-Rad wrote:
Curtis I think the 24 F2 is a good one as it is usually a hot debate lens. The Tessar 45 2.8 ??, this is a lens I want because it is so small and so good. Also no section for the most modern of the MF glass? PC-E?

A few of the rare lenses like the 80-200, 200-400, 800 5.6, 1200mm would be nice as not a ton of info on them is out there..but again out of range for most people.

Again, if we're going to rely on folks who've used a lens to give us their first hand experience, the more exotic and expensive the lens the less likely we'll have meaningful reviews to share. I agree with Monty that this needs to be a priority for this exercise. Is anybody actually shooting with the 24 f/2 AI-s now that Tony has dumped his?

With regard to the PC-E lenses I'm with you that they're great lenses but I believe since they are part of the current Nikon stable that they would best be included in that section of the reviews despite the fact they may only be used with manual focus. I say that in part to try to keep the number of lenses down.

Yes, an argument can be made for the 45 f/2.8, a lens that Mihai enjoys using and would surely comment upon. Let's see where we end up with once everyone's wish list has been addressed. Then we can broach the subject with Fred and see how much room he'll devote to this project.

Mar 14, 2012 at 09:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Great point Cliff about using the Nikon site for technical information about those lenses still in production. Between that site and photosynthesis we shouldn't have a problem with specs. We just need to collect the data and put it into a form that is useful to Fred.

Mar 14, 2012 at 09:17 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

montym wrote:
Will the words. "It's Cool" be an adequate review
Monty

Only if you add a photo of your most recent vegan meal...

Mar 14, 2012 at 09:19 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

MDoc9523 wrote:
It occurs to me that certain sub categories can be added as we go. As example the 35mm 2.0 can not only judge that particular lens but a comparison can be added to that thread to include the 35mm 2.8 Just a thought to consider when lenses are selected.

In an ideal world, it would be nice to have an introduction to each focal length that would lay out the alternatives available. Perhaps that can be done with the introduction to the major lenses listed. Nikon produced a great number of lenses at many focal lengths that generally offer a prospective buyer useful alternatives. For example, the 20 f/3.5 is a much smaller lens that takes a 52mm filter, while the f/2.8 takes a 62mm. Granted, someone who is serious about researching such things would find that out from "professional" reviews like those done by Ken Rockwell. But it might be nice to offer a bit of guidance to the neophyte who visited either the NMFG thread or the review section. Had we done this as a wiki we could have been much more expansive than we'll be able to do within the framework Fred creates. The downside would be the extra work involved in making that happen. This seems a good first step... that may remain the final step...

Mar 14, 2012 at 09:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Now that we have the chatty Kathies from the NMFG thread posting over here we'll likely see this thread take off too...

Mar 14, 2012 at 09:26 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Curtis, these are great news ; and I agreed with Monty about the advantage of hearing from people that actually use the lenses.

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

We'll be counting on you Jose, to add your comments once we've gotten the section up and running. We owe it to one another to make the review section as rich as the Nikon Manual Focus Glass thread is.

Mar 15, 2012 at 05:15 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Count on me too, Curtis! I can't provide professional reviews but at least field comparisons and plain observations I can do

Mar 16, 2012 at 07:27 PM
defektive

p.2 #18 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Is there any update to where this program is at? I'd like to read some reviews!

Sam

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password