Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

I'd love to see apple move into the camera world. They would push the limits of the existing photography paradigm in both technology and usability. If it were left to Canon and Nikon, we would have no change in this paradigm for years to come. Bring on new ways of doing things and let's us users decide what to use.

Just look what happened to the phone and tablet markets when apple stepped in.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:48 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

I'm not an Apple fan but I think that what chez is saying may be true. There has been incredibly little innovation in the way cameras work an can be operated. For instance: Michael Reichmann suggested in one of his camera reviews once that voice commands for changing settings could be handy. I imagine that it would be -- instead of having to press buttons and turn dials I could just say "iso 200", without having to take my finger off the shutter release. It just seems that there are many avenues that haven't been explored by the conservative CaNikon et al.

Feb 26, 2012 at 03:11 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

chez wrote:
I'd love to see apple move into the camera world. They would push the limits of the existing photography paradigm in both technology and usability. If it were left to Canon and Nikon, we would have no change in this paradigm for years to come. Bring on new ways of doing things and let's us users decide what to use.

Just look what happened to the phone and tablet markets when apple stepped in.

That's a good point. Competition and choice is certainly a good thing for the consumer.

As far as things being left up to Canon and Nikon, I would suggest that's not where things are right now in the camera market though. Just look at the influence and proliferation of mirrorless cameras in the industry. This is not an initiative led by Canon nor Nikon but by Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, etc. Thus, I don't think the Canikon analogy quite works since these two goliaths are now being pulled kicking and screaming into the mirrorless arena by smaller players.

Feb 26, 2012 at 03:14 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
That's a good point. Competition and choice is certainly a good thing for the consumer.

As far as things being left up to Canon and Nikon, I would suggest that's not where things are right now in the camera market though. Just look at the influence and proliferation of mirrorless cameras in the industry. This is not an initiative led by Canon nor Nikon but by Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, etc. Thus, I don't think the Canikon analogy quite works since these two goliaths are now being pulled kicking and screaming into the mirrorless arena by smaller players.

That's exactly what I am saying. We need new companies with different views of photography to push the old paradigm limits. Apple is one of these companies that pushes the limits of anything they enter. I'd love to see where Apple would push the old camera technologies.

Feb 26, 2012 at 03:20 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

chez wrote:
That's exactly what I am saying. We need new companies with different views of photography to push the old paradigm limits. Apple is one of these companies that pushes the limits of anything they enter. I'd love to see where Apple would push the old camera technologies.

Apple does but it also goes in both directions in a rich, open, competitive environment. For instance, IOS would likely not be as open and functional as it is today if it were not for the existence of Android (which, as I indicated, has provided some functionality way before Apple has) AND Android devices would not be as sleek and nice as they are if it were not for Apple. So, yes, Apple could have a positive effect in the end in the camera industry.

Feb 26, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Ektar25
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

It would look like this and you could buy one in either Nikon or Canon mount.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:04 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Apple camera specs
(as leaked from the usual reliable Apple rumor sources, i.e. pulled out of my rear end):

- Mirrorless, full frame, 28 megapixel.

- Permanently attached 24-85mm/f2.0 lens (camera hackers will find out the lens is actually internally attached on an M-mount bayonet, and can be replaced after prying off some glue seals).

- Entire rear surface is a multitouch display. Other than a shutter button, there are no other knobs/switches/controls on the camera.

- Battery life is significantly longer than other digital cameras, but the battery is sealed in and cannot be swapped out by the user.

- 128GB flash memory is also permanently installed.

- Body is machined from a single billet of titanium. It looks like it should be waterproof, but is not quite (and finding that out will void the warranty). A low- profile Arca-style dovetail is built in to the bottom and side of the body (integrated L-bracket).

- Comes with many built-in features only available as external add-ons on other cameras, including wireless TTL flash trigger and wireless "tethering" to computer, intervalometer shooting mode.

- Price is bemoaned as high compared to other cameras, but is actually quite comparable when compared to one with matching features (provided by accessories as needed). You don't have the option to get a cheaper, "stripped down" base model, even if you know you don't need many of the fancy features.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:25 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

I would love to see what Apple could do with a NEX-style camera. IMO the shortcomings of the NEX are in the design and user interface, and that's where Apple is good. Generally speaking the industrial design of cameras is pretty poor these days. They just cram a bunch of features into the systems without thinking the whole thing through resulting in haphazard inconsistent designs. I would really like to see somebody do for digital cameras what Leica did for film cameras with the M3 in the 1950's.

Apple has a pretty good track record now with the iPhone and iPad of making a design and user interface that fits the specific form factor and intended purpose. They did not invent the smartphone nor the tablet, but they made them really usable. The ones that came before them tried to put some sort of adaptation of a traditional user interface on the devices and the results were messy. I think we're sort of at the same place with digital cameras - they are evolutionary designs based on film cameras. What I think is needed is a new design from scratch - something that is made specific for digital cameras.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:49 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Apple's recent efforts in the professional market has been a bit short. It seems like they're almost abandoning the market.

Feb 26, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Apple's recent efforts in the professional market has been a bit short. It seems like they're almost abandoning the market.

Apple is all about the average consumer now - not the professional user - and that is spilling over into all aspects of their OS and software. The iOsification of Mac OS X with Lion and now Mountain Lion (simplification, dumbing down, dropping the "Mac" from Mac OS X, and on and on show this.

Feb 26, 2012 at 05:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dasrocket
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

+1. The upper-end big numbers market is where it's at!

Apple's primary strength is not in simply making a product better though; it in redefining what the product should look like, what it should do and how it should do it. They are changing popular expectations and streamlining them to the company doctrine.
This, of course, starts as revolutionary (or evolutionary) but by it's nature, becomes limiting and mainstream, once a design /workflow monopoly of sorts gets established.

Apple equipment works really well, but it's the software that will push the limits more than the hardware I believe in the camera side of things. I can see iphones get better cameras and my bet is with more and more aps "imitating" real camera controls like DOF, tilt/shift, manual exposure, touchscreen buttons and dials etc. I would not be surprised to see ZEISS, LEICA, FUJI imitating aps, even aps taking the iphone image and applying lens filters like a 50 1.2 etc (maybe they are already out). The results will not be for the pixel peepers, but then again those are not apple's market.

Feb 26, 2012 at 08:45 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

connect to itunes, upgrade firmware or delete all photos?

Feb 26, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Sp12
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

I don't think it has to be Apple -- I'd venture it would actually be a bad thing if it was them, but if you took everyone over 40 out from every camera company you would see massive changes in the way cameras work. From integration to the removal of mechanical parts to video et photo.

Feb 26, 2012 at 09:36 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Apple is all about the average consumer now - not the professional user - and that is spilling over into all aspects of their OS and software. The iOsification of Mac OS X with Lion and now Mountain Lion (simplification, dumbing down, dropping the "Mac" from Mac OS X, and on and on show this.

not really the average consumer, more like the average upper middle class consumer. apple has never catered to the highest volume segment of any market where the margins are low (except with the ipod, but that was mostly a happy accident). for example they don't even make a standard tower desktop if you want an apple desktop you need to get a computer in one of the lower volume but higher margin categories (all in one computer, ultra small with laptop parts, "workstation" with server logic board and chip). i agree they don't really cater to the "professional market", but they never have unless by professional you mean graphics people.

i agree with luka about what apple is good at and where they could have a positive impact on the camera market. i really don't think apple would ever have any interest in the system camera market though. if they were to release a camera it would be a p&s (probably after experimenting with higher spec iphone cameras and controls) as that fits their design ethos (plus they don't have industrial and technical resources for lens design and would never have 3rd parties make and sell their lenses).

Feb 26, 2012 at 09:43 PM
zalmyb
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

I wish really wish Apple made a camera. A mirror less system with an m mount and a touchscreen back would be awesome. Apple is really great at making easy to use systems and that is something that canon and nikon (and everyone else it seems) has a hard time doing. The amount of diggin in menus and sub menus is ridiculous. A good touchscreen back with third party apps would be amazing.

And it would shake up the market. Which is always a good thing.

Feb 26, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Side1Cincy
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

If Apple made a camera, it would match the specs of a camera made 3 years ago. I like Apple products and been using them a long time, but I don't understand how they don't have certain technologies on their products.

Feb 26, 2012 at 09:54 PM
zalmyb
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Side1Cincy wrote:
If Apple made a camera, it would match the specs of a camera made 3 years ago. I like Apple products and been using them a long time, but I don't understand how they don't have certain technologies on their products.

Who cares about specs? If apple made a small form camera with a sensor comparable to a d3x (old tech), made it infinitely more user friendly I think it would be quite a hit. Especially in an m mount. It would be everything the m9 should be but isn't... And it would be way cheaper (maybe 3 grand or so?).

And the possibility for apps would be amazing! There are so many features that would be easy to implement in a camera that could be done by third parties (highlighted in-focus areas, depth of field info on a per lens basis, zone metering, HDR, stitching, common settings, easily accessible custom functions... The list really is endless).

Mind you I shoot mainly film, but I totally "get" digital and I think this would be awesome. If not apple then google...

We've gone digital but it's all still based on the film camera systems. Besides for the comfort factor of people who started on film I don't see why they should be so limited.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

If anything, I'd expect there to be a 3D camera/screen in the next I-product.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

This is what Steve Jobs coveted for a camera/ technology.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Sp12
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

zalmyb wrote:
Who cares about specs? If apple made a small form camera with a sensor comparable to a d3x (old tech), made it infinitely more user friendly I think it would be quite a hit. Especially in an m mount. It would be everything the m9 should be but isn't... And it would be way cheaper (maybe 3 grand or so?).

And the possibility for apps would be amazing! There are so many features that would be easy to implement in a camera that could be done by third parties (highlighted in-focus areas, depth of field info on a per lens basis,
...Show more

You're basically quoting the NEX-7 feature list.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password