Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Get Sexy

sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Get Sexy

Where to begin. Honestly I wish I could just convince everyone in 5 pages why you should RUN to the next Sexy Business workshop, but even that wouldn't do it justice. So I'll try to explain in much shorter words and hopefully something will resonate.

I've known Todd for a few years now, having first met him in January 2009. He seemed to have it all figured out and was doing very well for himself. His continuing presence on the boards here really demonstrated his knowledge and expertise on what he was talking about: business and branding.

I'm pretty sure (this is what he told me) that Todd wasn't quite sure why I had signed up for his workshop. And honestly I didn't quite have an answer for him either. I have been full time since 2008 and every year my business keeps growing and growing. Last year specifically my business exploded, and to Todd, he assumed I had it all figured out. I'd like to think I have a pretty good sense of my business, why it works, why its successful. I know my finances, I know how to sell, I know how to present a pretty decent website and I knew, for the most part, why people hired me. But honestly, I didn't.

I thought that people hired me based on my work. But i've known and told myself for years that my work doesn't matter. Consumers don't know why I'm "better" than others. They don't know what good photography is. And some day, some better businessman will be coming along and take up market share, and it scared me. I assumed the inevitable. I didn't really have a single reason why my customers should hire me, they just seemed to like what I do and I kept on trucking with that mantra.

So over the years, it hit me: Why should anyone hire ME? Todd seemed to understand the fundamental reasons behind all this. It seemed so clear to him and I perceived that. I like to read books on business and study business. I enjoy the business side of entrepreneuring as much as I do the creative photography side of being a photographer. I could read 10 more books in the next 2 years and I'd likely be learning more. But when I saw him launch "Sexy Business", I knew I'd be learning 2-3 years worth of business knowledge and experience in 3 days. I would have signed up for the 1st one if it worked for my schedule. The 2nd one was announced and it also didn't work for my schedule.

I think within 5 minutes of him announcing the Vegas workshop I signed up in record fashion. And boy am I glad I did.

In the few years I attended college, I can easily compare Todd & Jamie to be the best of instructors I've ever had the opportunity to see teach. They KNOW how to communicate their ideas. In fact, I don't think I ever heard Todd speak any 'ummms' or any hint of hesitation. He never had to repeat his idea because he didn't say it right the first time. He KNEW what he was talking about and knew how to present it.

Over 3 days I felt like a big sponge, just soaking in everything they both talked about. I think Todd was pretty nervous whenever it came to 'figuring out' my business because it just seemed to work. But in the end, through his acumen and everyone else's participation, everything became very clear. And watching the same process for the other studios was extremely revealing and helpful as well. It was literally the very best week I've ever had in a very long time. Todd & Jamie are just incredible human beings with a true desire to get you results. They DO NOT want you to leave without a very clear purpose and vision for what you business needs to be. It's incredible how the process works, and the results generated are even more incredible. Utterly amazing.

Suffice to say, no matter how smart you are with your business, no matter how successful you are, you really really really need to attend Sexy Business. There is no business (I think) that he couldn't take to the next level. I thought I understood branding. I thought others who I know very well knew about branding...but really, I and they only knew a small small part. Todd knows what he's talking about for reals.

PS - This was completely unsolicited

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:52 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Get Sexy

Truth.

I was also impressed at Todd's clarity of thought and ability to communicate clearly and with little if any hesitation at SexyBusiness Uno. No umm'ing indeed.

Edited on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Get Sexy

+1.2 million

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM
EVO088
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Get Sexy

Thanks Spencer for the quick wrap up of the course. now, I am more excited that I will be a part of the next class!

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Get Sexy

#1 reason why having a second job sucks....
You have to pick and choose what you do.
We choose Genesis this year.
Hopefully Todd keeps doing his thing because I would love to be involved either later this year or next year....!

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:00 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Get Sexy

hardlyboring wrote:
#1 reason why having a second job sucks....
You have to pick and choose what you do.
We choose Genesis this year.
Hopefully Todd keeps doing his thing because I would love to be involved either later this year or next year....!

I had to make the same choice. I figured I suck at business slightly more than I suck at photography, so I'm doing Sexy in Nashville.

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:20 PM
mserrano
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Get Sexy

Couldn't agree more Spencer!

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:40 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Get Sexy

That's incredible, Spencer! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Todd made a great point on one of the podcast, "come take my class and I'll teach you how to pay for the next five." I think it's great advice, we're going to either the DC or Atlanta class this summer... just waiting for TTR to release the location of the DC class so we can compare hotel and travel costs for both.

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:42 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Get Sexy

I didn't want to wait so I signed up for the DC class. I know the classes are relatively small so I figured I'd better not wait.

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:46 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Get Sexy

Thanks for the write up Spencer. The workshop just moved from the "someday-maybe-hopefully" list to the "almost-definite-make-it-happen" list.

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:47 PM
sinbad747
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Get Sexy

hardlyboring wrote: #1 reason why having a second job sucks.... You have to pick and choose what you do. We choose Genesis this year. Hopefully Todd keeps doing his thing because I would love to be involved either later this year or next year....!

Same choices here! I really wanted to go to Genesis this year, but I booked Sexy first! For me it was the right choice!

I would add to Spencer's comments to say one of the things I really love and appreciate about Todd and Jamie is that they are REAL people, running a REAL business! They only want the BEST for each and every person who comes to the workshop..... And won't stop until they help you figure out what that is..... No matter how long it takes!

After taking the workshop I agree with Spencer.. You should run and sign up for the next Sexy Business Workshop - You would be a FOOL not to! Hands down the BEST money I have spent on my business!

Todd and Jamie, thank you! You guys ROCK!

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:52 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Get Sexy

TAGfan wrote:
I didn't want to wait so I signed up for the DC class. I know the classes are relatively small so I figured I'd better not wait.

No doubt, Scott. I'm about to do the same thing. I've got a feeling the DC class will be sold out by the end of next week. Especially since Todd and Jamie will be presenting at the VA PPA Convention this Sunday in Roanoke, VA. So, if anyone is considering attending SB-DC, you need to book soon... like right after I book!

-Jayson

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:57 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Get Sexy

I hate Todd. He is a terrible human. (I only wrote these terrible things to keep the universe in balance.)

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:13 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Get Sexy

canerino wrote:
I hate Todd. He is a terrible human. (I only wrote these terrible things to keep the universe in balance.)

balanced again.... FM style.....

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:41 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Get Sexy

Sounds like a great opportunity--I'm strongly leaning toward booking the Denver class.

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:52 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Get Sexy

Nice....

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:57 PM
bwield
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Get Sexy

Booked DC.

Can't wait!

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:57 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Get Sexy

Todd hates babies.

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:58 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Get Sexy

...and puppies.

Feb 23, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Sahid Limon
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Get Sexy

I wanted to attend, but wasn't there long enough. Where does one go to get details on the workshops?

Feb 23, 2012 at 03:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.