Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9       end

Archive 2012 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

twelveish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

I tend to have a sort of natural aversion to upgrading to the very next model and mostly try to avoid it. But the X20 has reeled me in. Absolutely no doubt for me; it's my (hopefully) only new camera this year.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:09 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

I also try to avoid such things, but the X20 does look like a real improvement. Taking the loss on the X10 and the premium for getting the X20 early, it won't be a cheap upgrade though.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:18 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Same batteries? Same case fits?

If you nickel and dime it and keep the X10 at least you save up on the pennies.

I have the X10 and I use it a lot for work and some for play. Haven't even looked at the X20 yet.

15bit: I would not go as far and call the manual zoom genius. It is what I grew up with. For me it is plain normal. But of course I think it is great that they have it on the X10. I have always hated power zoom, focus by wire.

They introduced a "power zoom", a 35-80mm slow lens with zoom buttons for Canon EOS, this was way back in the film days and when I asked what it was good for my boss said "selling batteries".

How sexy is a 35-80mm power zoom with f4-5.6 on a slr, with zoom button?

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/eoscamera/EOS700/index.htm

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:59 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

kosmoskatten wrote:
15bit: I would not go as far and call the manual zoom genius. It is what I grew up with. For me it is plain normal. But of course I think it is great that they have it on the X10. I have always hated power zoom, focus by wire.

I admit manual zooms are not a new idea, but as far as i know its the only compact on the market that sports one. So maybe not genius, but certainly an excellent and defining feature in my view.

I suspect i won't get the X20, simply because the X10 is more than good enough and i don't want to spend the money. If Adobe's RAW processing for the X-trans sensor gets to be good i might change my mind though - the only real complaint i have about the X10 is that the RAW's are difficult to process.

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:34 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Yes, I agree.
I like the X10 but I use it as a jpeg camera for the most part. I would not fiddle with RAW unless I had to with this type of camera and I think it does a fine job with jpegs.

Considering the slow progress of X-trans sensor processing I am not too interested in the X20 myself.

I can't think of another manual zoom camera from the top of my head so I guess you are right about that. It is a bit sad. Normally I am not interested in zoom cameras so I haven't researched the camera market in that segment lately but it seems all others are power zooms, so Fuji got it right in my book.

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:39 AM
esanchez
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Macro Setting

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

That's crazy.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Pre-order prices on the X20 are up in europe now. Oddly the norwegian price is quite a lot lower than the UK one (first time i've seen that), but either way it's an expensive upgrade so i'll probably pass on it for the moment.

Ratty - you might change the thread title to "X10/X20 thread" when the new camera comes out? Good to keep the family together.

Anyway, since this is a picture thread - jpeg from camera with B&W conversion in LR:

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:03 AM
esanchez
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

I have both the X-E1 and the X10 and carry more the X10 because it's smaller and fits in the arm rest of my car better than the X-E1 so I tend to use it more. Amazing little camera and I agree the X20 is awesome but I'm not ready to shell out $600 for it. I picked up my X10 for $380...

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:26 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

so I bought an x10 when it came out, but sold it because of the lack of info in the viewfinder and the sensor issue. since then I bought an x100, which I love, but my brother has an x10 and every time I use it I kind of wish I could take it home with me.

so today I ordered the x20, on the spot, when I heard it had LCD info in the viewfinder. I had no intention of even considering purchasing it, and just happened to read about it. I'm excited to have another Fuji on the horizon...

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

The in-VF display is the most attractive feature for me also.

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:56 AM
twelveish
• •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

15Bit wrote:
The in-VF display is the most attractive feature for me also.

Absolutely.

A few walk-abouts of late:

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:07 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

I do find mine to be a most excellent walkabout camera also:

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:38 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Just to tick things along:

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:19 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

I just stumbled onto this thread in my researching a "carry everywhere" camera. It's almost a private party Some awesome work here! Rattymouse, some incredible images. I was in China in 2000, and the differences (at least in a big city like Shanghai) are amazing. People's wear has literally gone from olive drab to a rainbow of colors. Bijan that Buddha (or at least a serene face) juxtapositioned against the "Bargain Now" signs is remarkable.

I'm seriously considering the X20 as I'm assuming it has improved the info in the viewfinder. Can anyone confirm this.

Truly nice work here.

Robert

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:47 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Does the x10 have a square crop available? That is my primary format on the LX3.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:48 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

dasrocket wrote:
Does the x10 have a square crop available? That is my primary format on the LX3.

It does have a 1:1 crop mode.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:59 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

OntheRez wrote:
I'm seriously considering the X20 as I'm assuming it has improved the info in the viewfinder. Can anyone confirm this.

There is a hands-on preview up on DPR with info about this.

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:17 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

15Bit wrote:
There is a hands-on preview up on DPR with info about this.

Thanks 15bit. Truth is I stay away from DPReview, but I guess I don't have to pay any attention to the discussion. Just read the article and sneak out. Oh, and I forgot to acknowledge your superb work also. I'm amazed at what this little camera can do, but then as we use to say back in my ski patrol days, "It ain't the skis, it's the knees."

I'm vacillating between the OM-D (used), the X20, and perhaps a X100 (used).

Robert

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:35 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

OntheRez wrote:
Thanks 15bit. Truth is I stay away from DPReview, but I guess I don't have to pay any attention to the discussion. Just read the article and sneak out. Oh, and I forgot to acknowledge your superb work also. I'm amazed at what this little camera can do, but then as we use to say back in my ski patrol days, "It ain't the skis, it's the knees."

I'm vacillating between the OM-D (used), the X20, and perhaps a X100 (used).

I don't bother with the forums there, but they do have a decently comprehensive set of reviews.

It's a shame we struggle to keep this thread ticking over as i think the camera is a little gem. Handling is brilliant, and unlike almost every other P&S i've used it feels like a real camera and not a lump of plastic that takes pictures. With the new VF and a tidy-up of the menu's i think the X20 will be a very compelling package. This probably isn't the forum for it though - folk here are more likely to get a more expensive P&S like the X100 or RX100 than an X10/X20. Hopefully when the X20 comes out we can make this a joint X10/X20 thread and get a bit more traffic though.

I would say that i've also had a play with the X100 and its a nice quality bit of kit too, but a little pricey for me. I also want a bit more flexibility than the fixed 35mm FL.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:06 PM
       9       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password