Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Taking photos in North Carolina and other places on route...

alandb

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Taking photos in North Carolina and other places on route from NYC to Western NC

I live in New York City and for the third year in a row, I am going to Merlefest in Wilkesboro, NC at the end of April. Yes, some of us city slickers actuallly like this music. I also do this as a road trip (alone) to take photographs. My question is to recommend places to take photographs anywhere along the route from New York City to western NC. In the past, I have gone through the Blue Ridge Mountains, Smoky Mountains, northeastern WV (very nice area), Maryland shore (DelMarVa), Outer Banks.

I would have no objections to going back to any of these places but I would like recommendations of specific places (and times of day) so I can make a good itenerary without too much wasted time searching for locations.

Feb 14, 2012 at 04:50 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Taking photos in North Carolina and other places on route from NYC to Western NC

It's hard to tell what you have already seen. Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway are nice and have some great waterfalls. Mabry Mill is iconic.

I spent two months last fall going all over WV for foliage and waterfalls. Foliage may be sparse at end of April, but waterfalls should be roaring. Is this something that appeals to you? It would require lots of driving and some hiking, but I could ID some good ones for you. The New River Gorge has good scenery, including several waterfalls.

Civil War battlefields are interesting, as well as the many small towns near them.

I can help better if I have a better idea of what you like to shoot.

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:59 PM
alandb

p.1 #3 · Taking photos in North Carolina and other places on route from NYC to Western NC

I am not that interested waterfalls. I was at Blackwater Falls State Prk, WV last year. The morning fog in the area was gorgeous. I tend to look for things that have interesting light as opposed to the object itself. Civil war battlefields don't interest me. Because I can get a deal from LivingSocial, I am considering a few days near Columbia, NC.

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password