Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Runner

dmacmillan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Runner

RustyBug wrote:
Actually, it is ...

I stated "Your rendition is better than any presented. It's your photograph and your vision." That includes responses by more than one person. How in the world can you make the leaps of logic you posted?

To revisit my comparison, my parents, who were avid and knowledgeable music lovers. chose from three violin teachers in the area when I wanted to take up the instrument. They carefully checked the qualifications and teaching philosophy of all before choosing Mrs. Kirkpatrick. My wife and I did the same when our boys took up music. I still contend that's a little different than posting an image here or on other sites and getting unfiltered feedback.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:03 PM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.2 #2 · Runner

Many valid points by all.

Of course, I'd prefer having a carefully selected personal instructor help guide my photographic journey.

But I have neither the money or the time to pursue such things (photography comes third after medicine and classical piano for me).

Therefore, posting on FM for critique is the next best thing, at least imo. Thankfully, people on these forums generally know what they are talking about, a rarity in online forums.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Runner

Back to the original question: I think it's a very nice image with a clear context, your job is just to make it easier for the viewer to see.
One way to do it (just a suggestion) - to use either transform tool or Lens Correction filter to introduce more pronounced perspective towards the top, so you get converging vertical lines instead of them being almost parallel. Besides directing the eye, this will also move your runner to the center of the image. Next step would be to crop the top, removing the trash cans and leaving the runner in an upper third. The final step would be putting runner in a spotlight with circular gradient contrast and brightness.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Runner

I think you lose that feeling of apprehension and fear if you crop it. I like it as is

Cheers Ray

Feb 17, 2012 at 08:17 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Runner

Here is what I mean:

Feb 18, 2012 at 01:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

shoenberg3
• • •
p.2 #6 · Runner

I do like the edit quite a bit and I think it's compositionally more "sound."

But I've grown to like the uneasiness and the heaviness (literally with stifling cityscape above the runner) imparted by the unusual composition and framing.

Feb 18, 2012 at 05:36 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.2 #7 · Runner

Let me preface my comments by saying I don't know nearly as much as the folks who have already commented on this image. What attracts me to this image is the complete isolation and apparent lonelyness. Except for the dumpsters and trash cans, there is not any evidence of life other than the runner. I thought the wider image reflected the isolation more than the cropped images. My .02 cents worth.

Feb 19, 2012 at 03:21 AM
shundaroni

p.2 #8 · Runner

To my eye, the original is superior (substantially) to all of the proposed revisions.

You mention the "heaviness" of the area above the runner. It is precisely that heaviness that, for me, depicts a story worth seeing. I find my eyes "running" around the shot and appreciating the vastness of the environment compared to almost irrelevant focal point. It's reminiscent of a rat in a maze, and I like the emotion that evokes.

The crops and recompositions all certainly train the focus on the runner, but they do so at the expense of some very interesting context, I think, and they look rather dull to me. Suffice it to say that yours was the only composition that gave me pause, and engaged my mind in taking in all of the scene. I like that, and think it is perfect as is.

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:02 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Runner

I added a "Key light Effect" to image Left-Center and defined edges.. Do not know if this helps as everybody has differing perspectives... "The question is not what you look at but what you see." Henry David Thoreau

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password