Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Amanda

JNielsen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amanda

I started my first actual photography 'class' in college recently. Our assignments are pretty simple: shoot a roll of film, develop, and print four (or more) prints per critique period.

All of these are digital (obviously), shot on a 7D with a 50 f/1.8 and a really old 70-200 f/4.

Any C&C is welcome (please leave some!)

Also: If anyone has any tips or tricks to use in the darkroom, feel free to share

Canon 7D 50mm ISO 400 f/2.5 1/2000

Canon 7D 50mm ISO 400 f/4.0 1/800

Canon 7D 200mm ISO 400 f/4.0 1/500

Canon 7D 50mm ISO 400 f/1.8 1/2500

Canon 7D 50mm ISO 400 f/1.8 1/2000

Canon 7D 200mm ISO 400 f/4.0 1/250

Canon 7D 200mm ISO 400 f/4.0 1/250

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amanda

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on taking your photography class.

As for suggestions, I'd suggest that you creatively come up with different concepts on your shots. 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 are essentially the same shot. 3 and 7 look a little soft in focus, so I would've immediately trashed those, unless the soft focus was intentional.

You did a really nice job of using your ambient light.

Your strongest shot in this set is No. 2, as it pits the attractive woman next to this rustic background with the Pontiac Eight logo next to it. After that, my next favorite shot in this group are the feet/shoes, and largely because they're squirming around.

As for your pp, the b&w conversions are pretty good. I might kick up the contrast just a tad, but that's my personal taste. I think they're pretty good as they are.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Ron

Feb 14, 2012 at 01:56 AM
JNielsen

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amanda

Thanks for the response Ron.

I actually realize that most of those look exactly the same as I was scrolling through the set in LR again a few minutes ago. I've got a couple more that are different, but as you noted about some of them, the focus is extremely soft.

I'm not sure if that is me or my camera causing that, but I noticed it on most of the images where I focus and recompose.

As far as something a little different, I just made this in Illustrator. I'm not sure if I like it (With her feet under her head), and it was super frustrating. Is there any to make a page with clipping masks that doesn't require hours of time?

I also boosted the contrast like you suggested. Jumped from 50 to 65 in LR.

Quick edit... I didn't look at the export before I uploaded and shared... How the heck do make the exported image not include a blank spot where my images are hidden under the clipping mask?

Feb 14, 2012 at 03:39 AM

friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amanda

Regarding your focus and recompose, which is what I usually do as well, you have to be careful if you have a really shallow depth of field. If you lock the focus, and then change the angle of the shot, even so slightly, it could move the DOF off where you want it to be when you recompose.

Yes, there must be a way of working with clipping masks without it taking hours, but Illustrator is not my friend. I actually like the program a lot with its graphics design capabilities, just never have had time to master the program.

Feb 14, 2012 at 03:59 AM
JNielsen

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amanda

Perhaps simply making the layout in Photoshop would be a better option for me for now.

I'll work on getting the DOF spot on when recomposing the next time the lady and I have a shoot. Hopefully that will be very soon.

Feb 14, 2012 at 06:38 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amanda

Background can add or subtract so much from your picture.

As an example, take #1.
- Scroll in on your screen until the bright spot in the top left corner is gone. Nice improvement!
- Now cover the right side to hide the dark splatter of 'whatever' at the edge of the frame. Better! (If you could remove your watermark, that would help too.
- The last distraction is the dark wheel well of the car in front of her. I have no suggestion for that except a re-shoot.

I guess this means the (hardly recognizable) car was not the best background.

I was going to ask what film was (why does every photo course use film??) or how the film is inserted in the 7D, but I thought a serious answer was better.

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:36 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password