Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

Skarkowtsky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

For coming-up short on the Miller photo. These are four separate photographs.

Edited on Feb 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:47 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

I quite like the lighting, color and the condensation. Perhaps it's the reduction to web size, but a tiny bit sharper would be a plus. To illustrate, a PS version with a duplicate layer with 0.3 pixel high-pass filter in overlay mode. Simple matter to tweak the opacity to suit for very fine adjustment. Also, consider a bit of logo paint re-touching.

Feb 11, 2012 at 07:05 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

It's sharp over here. Probably photobucket, though I save 100% for web. Good call on logo. I knew about the paint chips, but I'm in the middle of an entire Coke series, and plan to clean all of them at once, later. Your logo looks great! The bottle is about 50 years old!

Thanks for the input.

Feb 11, 2012 at 07:33 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

Had not noticed - do not remember the last time I saw a 61/2 oz. bottle of Coke.

I really like the set - are you going to be doing a series on Heineken?

Bob

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

Thanks's Bob! I scoured eBay for the perfect 6 ouncer. I hadn't considered Heineken, but now I might.

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

Only one chip to go.

Nice set and grouping, BTW!

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

The C I missed it, darn it!

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

Hey Bob,

Mapping out a concept for Heineken. : )

Feb 13, 2012 at 01:29 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

Have one for me

Feb 13, 2012 at 01:36 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

Lighting is nice overall, with one exception: the inset of the glass with the ice cube could use more specular highlights in the foam, which looks a bit like dirty soap suds rather than sparkling effervescence.

But don't find the layout of the elements in the montage effective from the POV of marketing the product. The way you truncated the classic shape of the bottle is a bit like shooting a super models and chopping her off at the neck and above the knees. I'd prefer seeing the entire bottle shape in the center surrounded by the insets.

Also consider that while the bottle is a classic, today Coke isn't sold that way. So to make the layout more contemporary you might want the classic bottle image anchoring the center, perhaps with a couple of the classic shaped Coke glasses filled with product behind it slightly OOF, with more modern packaging in cans and plastic bottles around it in smaller insets.

The "Coke Red" color is an important part of the brand identity but the only place it is seen in in the edge of the bottle cap and it looks like the wrong shade of red. The old/new theme for the layout would give you the opportunity to introduce the "trademark" color. You might also want to consider using a red background rather than black.

Feb 13, 2012 at 01:46 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

I don't want it contemporary. The old bottle was a conscious decision. I can definitely add more sparkle to the suds, good call. The red of the cap is spot-on on my calibrated display--I dislike calibration for some reasons. Most important, this is a sell-promotional piece, not a campaign.

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2012 at 02:06 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

Skarkowtsky wrote:
I don't want it contemporary. The old bottle was a conscious decision. I can definitely add more sparkle to the suds, good call. The red of the cap is spot-on on my calibrated display--I dislike calibration for some reasons. Most important, this is a sell-promotional piece, not a campaign.

Thanks.

Understood that your shots are sell-promotional pieces. But isn't the goal of the self-promotion to attract corporate clients?

In my C&C I was looking at the layout from the POV of a potential client looking for product shots and asking, "Will this photographer understand my product and brand image?".

Ever watch "The Apprentice?" The teams are given assignments to create advertising campaigns for products and the feed back they get from the manufacturers and what wins provide some interesting insights into what they look for.

Feb 13, 2012 at 03:18 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

In your defense, it was premature of me to post this image because there are more photos to be added to the montage. Unbeknownst to you, and perhaps I should have stated, this is also an exercise for me to see about my website presentation. In the Coke case, there would be a full-frontal hero photo, plus others.

I want to group similar motifs and themes as to show lots of strong imagery, without forcing a viewer to scroll through singular photographs. For instance, Coke with coke details, and perhaps burgers, etc. Alcohol with lifestyles that coincide, tools the same way, and so forth.

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2012 at 03:32 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Have a Coke and a smille (updated)

Skarkowtsky wrote:
I want to group similar motifs and themes as to show lots of strong imagery, without forcing a viewer to scroll through singular photographs. For instance, Coke with coke details, and perhaps burgers, etc. Alcohol with lifestyles that coincide, tools the same way, and so forth.

Gottcha.... My point exactly... If you want to sell commercial photography each page on the web site should look like a polished advertising layout, not seemingly a random montage of well executed photos.

The defense rests

Feb 13, 2012 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password