Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Looking for some C&C on a deployment set. (first post)

tschnitker

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for some C&C on a deployment set. (first post)

Hello everyone, long time lurker and a recent for sale ad prompted me to finally register.

I'm just a hobby photographer who's currently deployed in the Middle East looking for some basic C&C on the type of photos I've been taking over here. Any tips/suggestions would be great. Hell, if you outright say that you hate em and tell me why, that's fine with me as well!

Overall, I'm pretty sure I'm vignetting way too much. With my pictures I'm trying to use photoshop as little as possible (I'm kind of old school from the film days without photoshop) and portray what I see as closely as possible. One of the things that makes it difficult is the harsh, harsh lighting that is every single day out here which is partially why I chose to vignette a little more than I prefer. (Most days there's not a cloud in the sky and the bright sun is reflecting off the sand, it's so bright it hurts to not wear dark sunglasses)

All photos taken with a Canon t3i with basic kit lenses.

First photo : Should I have gone with a smaller aperature or is the short DOF good in this shot?

IMG_1582-2 (Large) by tschnitker, on Flickr

Second photo

IMG_1628 (Large) by tschnitker, on Flickr

Third photo (Night shot with just a fluorescent light over and in front of the subject)

Soldier poses for photo in middle east by tschnitker, on Flickr

And something a little different, photo from my R&R in Mexico. I really wish I had a sharper lens for this photo. Barely any tweaks to this photo, just a slight level adjustment.

Friends by tschnitker, on Flickr

Much appreciated!

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:46 PM
nomader11

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for some C&C on a deployment set. (first post)

I love the first photo. I think the shallow depth of field woks well. I might have tried to focus on the glasses of the shooter as my eye is immediately drawn to the barrel of the gun in the photo above and I don't know if that is where you want it to go (a matter of artistic opinion). Great shot though!

Feb 11, 2012 at 07:16 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for some C&C on a deployment set. (first post)

It's a pretty good set. I like the first, although it's perhaps something of a modern cliché. Placing the plane of sharpest focus on the helmet mounting bracket may not have been ideal, but in this case it's about right. A smaller aperture may have been better.

The composition for the second would benefit from less space on top and to the right and more on the bottom and left when you captured the image.

For the third I'd suggest a crop to tighten the interest. Perhaps open up the shadows a bit in PP as an alternative, although the high contrast also works in sort of a journalistic way.

Also, consider cropping the third to make the sun less central and the image more dynamic.

Feb 11, 2012 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password