Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hare Krishna

ambur d
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Hare Krishna

Hello everyone!

This is a photo from the Hare Krishna meetings I've been going to. The people are lovely, the discussions are interesting, and the chanting is something else! I really enjoy it.

40/365 by ambur d., on Flickr
Also a short video

Anything you would change or do differently? I didn't take too many photos this time, but next time I plan to move around and get more. I'd like to get more into photojournalism, so take it from that angle I guess!

Feb 11, 2012 at 01:26 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Hare Krishna

needs a bit of post-processing correction. Somewhat over-exposed with no true blacks.
With a levels adjustment and slight exposure adjustment this is what I got. Might get a bit more black detail with more work on the processing, but the darker tones are very close together.
Positioning of subjects within the frame is good.

Scott

Feb 11, 2012 at 01:45 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Hare Krishna

The mic stand certainly complicates matters. For this image, I keep finding myself drifting back to read what is written on the chalkboard.

Looks like the background is going to be a challenge from many positions, with framed pictures etc. on display. Does the room lend itself to their sitting in a photographically more suitable location? Some things you might want to consider for next time, especially as you will be more mobile.

Also might want to use a longer lens to tighten focus on the individuals.

Interesting image - look forward to seeing the next meetings images.

Bob

Feb 11, 2012 at 02:47 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Hare Krishna

The challenge in trying to tell a complete story in a single still photo is preventing the context explaining the action in the focal point from becoming a distraction from it. That's the problem in your shot...

Here's the focal point in your photo...

How to include the context without the photo becoming a ping-pong match for the eye? Tell the story with more than one photo. Start with a shot from the back of the room showing the space and people in it looking at the action on the stage...

The wide shot establishes the context of the location and what is occurring there. That allows you to crop closer and not need to try to cram context about the location into every shot that follows,

In your "medium" shots where main focal point and context are balanced 50/50 in terms of how many pixels they occupy, look for opportunities to put interesting elements in the foreground in front of and framing the action in the background as in the examples below. Putting the foreground focal point directly in front of the background action unifies the elements front > back preventing the left>right ping-pong dynamic..

There are times when the ping<>pong dynamic can work in a photo, but the sensation created by that whipsaw movement of eye across the photo is one of tension, not harmony. You get a more harmonious vibe when the two element appear close to each other. For example, as this crude cut and paste illustrates when shooting if you had changed your shooting position to the right more you could have put the organ player and black board behind the singer, stacking them front>back rather than lining them up horizontally like ducks in a row.

In optical parlance it is called "parallax". In composition parlance it is called "unifying centers of interest" so they appear together in harmony in the photo instead of in opposition.

Feb 11, 2012 at 02:07 PM
ambur d
• •
p.1 #5 · Hare Krishna

Wow! Thank you guys so much for the responses. I will take all of your suggestions into account for next time! I'm excited to go back. I'm also hoping to get a few portraits of the ladies who you could see dancing in the video.
I'll make a new thread for the photos on Thursday.

Once again, many thanks to you three. (:

Feb 12, 2012 at 02:10 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password