Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · d7000 raw samples?

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · d7000 raw samples?

I'm on the list for a d800 but can't find any good high ISO samples. I figure that some relevant d7000 shots would at least give me a good ballpark idea as to what to expect. The hype on the camera, especially on DPR, is rather OTT for me and I'd like to see for myself.

So, I'm here to beg for some good high ISO d7k shots from you good folks here. I'd like to see ISO3200 and higher, taken in low lighting conditions and unprocessed. I don't know if I can process RAW files from the d7k, so conversion to TIFF or even high fine JPG would be okay.

If you can offer a couple of shots with full exif data, I'd greatly appreciate it and I'll destroy them after I've examined the noise levels.

thanks in advance

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM
theSuede
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · d7000 raw samples?

I think you have two D700's?

I can only make direct comparisons with the D3x right now, but I will have some D700 bodies around on Monday. That might make more sense. I could shoot them both with a neutral lens like the 50/1.8AFS, so that you can compare detail / noise scale for scale.

Feb 11, 2012 at 01:59 AM
Next39
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · d7000 raw samples?

I can email you some samples. PM me your email address and what you might like to see specifically for a sample.

Feb 11, 2012 at 02:14 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · d7000 raw samples?

theSuede wrote:
I think you have two D700's?

I can only make direct comparisons with the D3x right now, but I will have some D700 bodies around on Monday. That might make more sense. I could shoot them both with a neutral lens like the 50/1.8AFS, so that you can compare detail / noise scale for scale.

Hi Suede,

No, I have a d300 and d700 pair that I use now. I've ordered a d800 but I'm wondering if that is really what I want. Like many, I had expected a high ISO d800 followup to the d700, so not sure that the d800 will really fit into my bag well. If I knew that a d400 and a low MP, high ISO pair of cameras was coming soon, then I'd not worry. I'd use the d800 to its strengths and use the other 2 to their strengths.

If you really want to do comparison shots, that would be cool and I'd greatly appreciate it. But, all I expected was a few high ISO shots taken in low lighting conditions so that I can simply get an idea of the noise characteristics of the sensor.

So, whatever you'd like to do would be happily received here and I'd owe you one.

thanks

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · d7000 raw samples?

Next39 wrote:
I can email you some samples. PM me your email address and what you might like to see specifically for a sample.

Okay, thanks a ton! I'll give you the info.

Much appreciated!

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:41 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · d7000 raw samples?

How exactly do you expect D7000 raw files to represent what the D800 raw files will look like? Not even close to being in the same class. Even though the D800 has a much larger sensor than the D7000, they are cramming 36 million pixels on it. It won't do well in low light. Period. From what I've heard thus far, even going beyond ISO 800 will give you chroma noise. That's just hearsay at this point, but I seriously doubt anything above 1600 will be noise free....of course, if you print images at reasonable sizes and don't crop the cr*p out of them, you will probably hardly notice. Of course, one of the theoretical advantages of having 36MP's is the ability to crop the cr*p out of your images and retain detail.

Here's some examples:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/02/09/nikon-d800-sample-images-low-light-high-iso-samples-photos/

Greg

Feb 11, 2012 at 08:57 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · d7000 raw samples?

Thanks for the link, Greg. I hadn't seen that site before and it looks like it has some good info.

Much appreciated.

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:31 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password