Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · change of plans - and extra money in my pocket

timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · change of plans - and extra money in my pocket

OK, so now that the 24-70II doesn't have IS and it is painfully obvious the 5d3 will be a megapixel monster (there's a reason Canon is upping the resolution on their popular glass) - I am going to change my gear acquisition plans - BUT WILL STAY CANON.

I had originally expected to spend $3000 (after selling my 24-70 and 7d) on new gear, and having a shiny new brick and 2 fullframe cams in my bag. The main impetus for this was that I wanted high ISO magic from 2 FF bodies, and the bonus of IS on WA would help for those crappy dark churches that don't allow flash during the ceremony. I would put the new 24-70 on the 5d3 so that tracking processionals/intros could be done without having to shoot center point and crop to properly frame. It would also cut down on all the lens switching, as both cams would be the same crop factor. I did an experiment at the end of the season, and used the 24-70 on the 7d for intros/procession and it worked really well - with the obvious PITA that I had to keep switching the 24-70 back and forth when I needed a wide shot.

Well, since the 24-70IS didn't happen I have come to an epiphany: fuggetabout it. My common sense finally kicked in, and I am going to trade the brick for a 35L and add a 17-55 IS. For the price of $900 or so (I bought the 17-55 used): I can get IS on my wide angle, I can use off-center points reliably, and have a bonus of 35/1.4 on my 5d for when I want/need wide aperture wide angle.

Saved $2000, and have less weight hanging off of me to boot

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:49 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · change of plans - and extra money in my pocket

Canon just lost 2000, but you're happy. I think a lot of people will find themselves re-thinking strategies in the coming months. A crop camera with a 17-55 is looking pretty good...

Feb 10, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · change of plans - and extra money in my pocket

So does a 5D II (not to mention possibly a successor) with the stabilized Tamron 24-70. I see one of those in my future.

Feb 10, 2012 at 07:28 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · change of plans - and extra money in my pocket

That's the way to approach gear acquisition !

Over the past few years Canon have lost quite a bit of my business mostly because of their rip-off pricing.
Examples:

(1) I'd sooner keep shooting with an old 40D than give them $5k for MkIV or $7k for 1DX.

(2) 24-70 L II is another obscenely overpriced lens. Id just continue using my old 28-80L.

Complaining about those prices is ineffective. Not buying the stuff and going for more cost effective alternatives, is the only way to gain an upper hand.

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim McCann
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · change of plans - and extra money in my pocket

Ahh, yes! F8 and be there is still the most important thing of all. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:01 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · change of plans - and extra money in my pocket

That stabalized Tamron 24-70 is worth a good look. If it is up to snuff I'd probably trade my 24-105 for it.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · change of plans - and extra money in my pocket

agreed - I am actually thinking that its not worth it to get the 35; just sell the 24-70 and get a reasonably priced backup lens in case the 17-55 dies on the job.

Feb 11, 2012 at 02:39 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · change of plans - and extra money in my pocket

OK, so I got my "new to me" 17-55. All I can say is that all my test shots were great, and the lens is very sharp and shooting in my dark den focused spot on. Definitely glad I went this route, and I am leaning toward just selling the 24-70 and holding on to my cheap tammy 17-35 as a backup in case the 7d or 17-55 die on the job.

I could actually end up making money on this deal.... can't believe I resisted this move for so long. Now my 70-200 will stay on the 5d2 (that combo is flat out amazing)

Feb 11, 2012 at 04:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password