Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · No AA-filters influence on noise levels & detail

Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · No AA-filters influence on noise levels & detail

I have been wondering about how the lack of the AA-filter on D800E would affect noise and detail at higher ISO values?

On one side the removal of the AA-filter might result in more luminance noise since the blurring effect of the filter should a least in theory even out the shoot noise, e.g. the uneven distribution of protons. Still is probably only visible when the light level is very low.

On the other hand the advantage of capturing every detail could result in the side effect that one can apply more luminance noise reduction without losing critical sharpness.

What are your thoughts and / or experience regarding high ISO noise and a lack of AA-filter?

PS: I will be shooting raw and is using Lightroom 3 - 4 beta, so Chroma noise is a non-issue as far as Im concerned.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:02 PM
innovis
• •
p.1 #2 · No AA-filters influence on noise levels & detail

With a high resolution camera like the D800... I don't even think using higher iso is even a consideration. But yes, in thoery... noise details just as natural details should become more apparent as well.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · No AA-filters influence on noise levels & detail

Stoffer wrote:
I have been wondering about how the lack of the AA-filter on D800E would affect noise and detail at higher ISO values?

It will create false data that will be seen as noise at all ISO values.

Stoffer wrote:
On one side the removal of the AA-filter might result in more luminance noise since the blurring effect of the filter should a least in theory even out the shoot noise, e.g. the uneven distribution of protons. Still is probably only visible when the light level is very low.

The AA filter has nothing to do with "shoot noise". There are multiple sources of noise in digital images and none of them are called "shoot noise".

The AA filter and sensors have nothing to do with protons.

Digital image noise is not "the uneven distribution of protons" or even photons.

Stoffer wrote:
On the other hand the advantage of capturing every detail could result in the side effect that one can apply more luminance noise reduction without losing critical sharpness.

You are not "capturing every detail" by eliminating the AA filter. You are generating false data (by the aliasing of spatial frequencies). You can't apply noise reduction to eliminate the false data because it replaces real image data.

In any case, if you are using a Nikkor or Zeiss lens you are unlikely to be using or be able to afford a lens sharp enough that it does not act as the Anti-Aliasing filter itself.

Stoffer wrote:
What are your thoughts and / or experience regarding high ISO noise and a lack of AA-filter?

I think you are in over your head in an area that you have no understanding of.

Stoffer wrote:
PS: I will be shooting raw and is using Lightroom 3 - 4 beta, so Chroma noise is a non-issue as far as Im concerned.

It doesn't work like that.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:37 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · No AA-filters influence on noise levels & detail

If you look in the green fabric areas in the photo below, you will see noise-like garbage generated due to the aliasing of spatial frequencies due to a weak AA filter. Note that those are mid to brightish tones, not deep shadows. Note also that it is not high ISO.

Thanks to rico for this image in one of the other D800E aliasing threads: rico wrote:
http://patternassociates.com/rico/fm/moire/moire102.jpg
( www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1083977/1#10330619 )

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:42 PM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #5 · No AA-filters influence on noise levels & detail

That last shot looks like 2 aliens, wonder if its the doings of the aa filter.
just sayin.....

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password