Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

Jeff
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/02/5d-split-5d-x-5d-mark-iii-cr1/

Take it and run, guys...

Edited on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:12 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

It does seem like Northlight got the nomenclature backwards, though...

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:18 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

This one is pretty good:

5D Mark III

22MP
61 points AF (Similar to the 1DX but simpler)
6.9 fps, ISO 100-25600(50-51200)
1 Digic 5+ Digic 4
Best HD video quality of any EOS camera

I guess it will have lesser cross AF points than 1DX.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:18 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

Jeff wrote:
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/02/5d-split-5d-x-5d-mark-iii-cr1/

Take it and run, guys...

oh we have, it's already added at least 10 pages to another thread here
maybe 20 by the time I finish typing this

Edited on Feb 10, 2012 at 03:22 AM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:23 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

kewlcanon wrote:
This one is pretty good:

5D Mark III

22MP
61 points AF (Similar to the 1DX but simpler)
6.9 fps, ISO 100-25600(50-51200)
1 Digic 5+ Digic 4
Best HD video quality of any EOS camera

I guess it will have lesser cross AF points than 1DX.

On your last point. Wrong. As someone pointed out in the other thread, they have it on good authority that they simplified the 61 pt 1DX AF down to 9pts with 1 center cross point with 6 hidden assists .

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:25 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #6 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

This would be a great move in the right direction for Canon (especially AF) to feed both markets although they would be just missing the FF sports market without 8-8.5fps on the 5DIII. It would be nice if they had a some sort of crop mode or grip option like Nikon to get a couple more fps and then they would really have everyone covered, for once.....

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:26 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #7 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

You are such a party pooper .

skibum5 wrote:
On your last point. Wrong. As someone pointed out in the other thread, they have it on good authority that they simplified the 61 pt 1DX AF down to 9pts with 1 center cross point with 6 hidden assists .

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:29 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #8 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

I'll take the megapixels, for 3000, please.

I am so rarely above ISO 400, I am willing to trade that for 45 mp. I have a couple of lenses like my beloved 24LII that are up to the task. I could see owning this body along with a 7d when I need that sort of performance is needed, and for the excellent video ability of the 7d. But for about 2 of 3 shots I tend to take, gimme the megapixel monster, please.

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:00 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

I'd love the 22MP version, if the outer AF points were rock solid. Otherwise, my current 5D2 is just fine.

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:06 AM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #10 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

mco_970 wrote:
I'd love the 22MP version, if the outer AF points were rock solid. Otherwise, my current 5D2 is just fine.

+1 All they need on the 5d2 is some better outer AF points.. even if it was just one on the left and one on the right -in my opinion.

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

The first - not video optimized - rumor camera sounds promising. Canon ran now out of options - they have to release an equivalent to D800 very soon with something extra at the same price tag. I can't see that they have another choice now thanks to Nikon. Let's hope for the best!

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:20 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

IMO the worst thing they could do is offer a truncated or less effective AF system. That is the whole reason why I want to switch to Nikon right now. However, if the AF system works WELL and ACCURATELY, then I won't have to sell all my stuff and move to a different system after all.

Edited on Feb 10, 2012 at 03:23 AM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:22 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

haha, it wasn't me who thought that up though
I think it was pixel perfect, i forget

kewlcanon wrote:
You are such a party pooper .

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:23 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

As Jeff and others have pointed out though, the naming convention used in this rumor seems to be the opposite of what you would expect which doesn't help its believability since their 5D3 seems to be the 7D+5D2 and not their 5DX.

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:24 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

I hope they do this as I could then pretend that they followed my recommendations in earlier posts and start my own blog purporting to have an inside knowledge of what they'll do next.

More seriously... I don't know about the specs but it makes a lot of sense for Canon to use the same body with two different sensors. There is enough of a difference in feature sets now that the various bodies aren't trampling on one another and it puts them into a position that Nikon will soon come to envy. Personally, I would love a 22mp camera with great high ISO performance capable of 7ish fps, in a small form factor, with great AF and that's a camera I don't see Nikon making anytime soon.

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:33 AM
ViscaB
• • •
p.1 #16 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

Sounds interesting. However if the 22mp 7FPS camera would be too good it would kill the 1DX sales...

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:00 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

ViscaB wrote:
Sounds interesting. However if the 22mp 7FPS camera would be too good it would kill the 1DX sales...

I don't think so. Different breed of cat, if you will. Lions and cheetahs are both very formidable but if it comes down to a fight you know who is going to win in the end.

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:15 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

I'm starting to think that the 7D MkII is going to go full frame; it never made sense to me that it wasn't from the outset. Having a pro feature set crop camera like the 7D when the 5D is still more an enthusiast feature set is quite simply inane. I personally think that the 7D is too close to the 60D (IQ), and really should be more comparable to the 5D (features, IQ and price).

Maybe Canon will surprise us all and make things right, or perhaps they are still on the same tangential path to yesteryear and it will take awhile longer to right the course.

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:32 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #19 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

Hrow wrote:
I don't think so. Different breed of cat, if you will. Lions and cheetahs are both very formidable but if it comes down to a fight you know who is going to win in the end.

+1 that is a very common misconception around here...

The 5DX wouldn't kill 1DX sales even if it was 9fps with the same AF....they are totally different markets and there are plenty of other features to differentiate the two lines. It would only help Canon by selling boat loads 5DX's - they make more on the lower end bodies. The 1DX buyers are going to buy a 1DX no matter how close the lower end model is. Same with luxury cars - top dogs are going to buy top of the line.

How's this - I would happily buy (2) 5DIII's for 7K if I like the specs (been waiting for a long time), but I refuse to buy a 1DX at $6800.... So, Canon would actually gain sales from people like me by releasing a solid performer, otherwise I'll buy something else...

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:37 AM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #20 · UPDATE v.3: 5Dx *and* 5D MkIII (line split)

Jeff wrote:
I'm starting to think that the 7D MkII is going to go full frame; it never made sense to me that it wasn't from the outset. Having a pro feature set crop camera like the 7D when the 5D is still more an enthusiast feature set is quite simply inane. I personally think that the 7D is too close to the 60D (IQ), and really should be more comparable to the 5D (features, IQ and price).

Maybe Canon will surprise us all and make things right, or perhaps they are still on the same tangential path to yesteryear and it will
...Show more

The thing is that the camera out of place isn't the 7D but the 5DII. 7D is a natural progression from 50D/60D. 5DII is a step up in sensor size and image quality but a big step down in functionality. It's the 5DII replacement that needs to be beefed up for the lineup to make sense, not the 7D.

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:47 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password