Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

Golliwog

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

Yes I'm a new poster, get your first post trolls out of the way.
This forum has been great to me over the years and I really enjoy the community, but this Nikon announcement has reduced you all to crying children.

The D800 is a GREAT looking camera, and for many people it's what they have been waiting for. However for me it isn't, so I'm going to keep happily shooting my other cameras which work just as well as they did 2 days ago before the announcement. While I am not a pro, a member of my family is, and he finds very few limitations that affect his business from either camp. For what it's worth he shoots everything from weddings to sport. Canon's AF could use an update in the 5D line, it's true - but hey, nothing is perfect. The D800 looks amazing for people that need the resolution, it shoots decent video and has good AF / weather sealing. How many of you need that many pixels, and how many of those that say they do are pros and will actually suffer? I'd guess you are the 1% (ha.)

Me? I would like 16-20mpx, weather sealing, more DR, better AF, amazing high ISO and better video than the D800 (no long-GOP codec & better highlight rendering). If the 5DIII delivers most of these, well thats great and I'll buy one. If not, I'll keep enjoying photography.

Your gear is great, enjoy your toy and appreciate that your camera is better than 90% of what your friends will ever own.

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

Well, I wouldn't characterize them as "crying children." Maybe clucking hens is a more apt description. I don't think the D800 actually changed much around here. The whimpering and clucking ones are always here and will always find plenty to bitch and moan about. That's what they do and, I'm sure, enjoy every whimper greatly.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM
howard
• •
p.1 #3 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

first post troll, out of the way

"this Nikon announcement has reduced you all to crying children", really? Very nice of you.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:06 AM
barryjphoto

p.1 #4 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

The OP is correct, it's been pathetic for the most part. Sure there has been a smattering of level headed responses but for the most part the whole 'Jump Ship' threat crew is coming off as very sophomoric.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

Lets hope you make it your first and last post on this forum.

Jim

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

I don't want a megapixel monster, either - but that is what canon will release very soon. I would MUCH rather have the same 21MP with 1d4 AF, but there is no way that will happen. I often shoot mraw because I don't plan to print a 20x30.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Golliwog

p.1 #7 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

Apologies if "crying children" seemed harsh. Please let me edit it to "reduced from lots of threads about cool photography tricks, amazing photos and great stories to 40 threads on nothing.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #8 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

barryjphoto wrote:
The OP is correct, it's been pathetic for the most part. Sure there has been a smattering of level headed responses but for the most part the whole 'Jump Ship' threat crew is coming off as very sophomoric.

nice choice of verbage.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:02 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #9 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

Gochugogi wrote:
I don't think the D800 actually changed much around here.

This is not true. Don't get me wrong - I still like my 5D II and wouldn't even consider upgrading at this point even if Canon had a new model released. But the D800 is a game changer and made Canon at least in this line of cameras a follower for now (admittedly this might change again!). The D800 is a huge step up what it offers for the price. Canon now faces two severe issues - a) to come up with a similar 5D III very soon plus having something extra in it which makes it better than the D800 and b) facing trouble selling the just released 1Dx for $6K. Yes, 1Dx and D800 are different cameras in fps for example, but still....for half the price of the 1Dx you will get something very similar or better currently on the "dark side".

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #10 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

If Canon has trouble selling the 1dx, then the Nikon D4 is in deep shite. It is proving less impressive as the 1dx. Sorry mate. The D800 is an increment to what the 5d2 has built upon. High MP with hdslr capability FF camera. A camera that Nikon should've come out with instead of a circa 2005 5d inspired D700 back in 2008.

There will always be the biatch boys that will bitch on everything. I think they were once owners of Pentax/Pentii.

I would be happy with a 24MP 5d3 with 7D-like AF with 5-6fps (sans battery and gimicky disclaimers) I do wish it will have flash commander capabilities. But I doubt.

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:57 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

M Lucca wrote:
If Canon has trouble selling the 1dx, then the Nikon D4 is in deep shite. It is proving less impressive as the 1dx. Sorry mate. The D800 is an increment to what the 5d2 has built upon. High MP with hdslr capability FF camera. A camera that Nikon should've come out with instead of a circa 2005 5d inspired D700 back in 2008.

There will always be the biatch boys that will bitch on everything. I think they were once owners of Pentax/Pentii.

I would be happy with a 24MP 5d3 with 7D-like AF with 5-6fps (sans battery and gimicky
...Show more

Actually agree that the d800 only adds the video and a sensor density jump along the lines of the 5d2 3 years ago. Funny how all the nikonians (and others here) bemoaned the "crazy" jump in pixels of the 5d2 and how the d700 had that "magical" balance, but now clamor for even more ridiculous densities. Don't worry canonites, there will be a megapixel monster soon - but without the PRO AF nikon had the guts to put on the d300, d700, and d800. Of course they had to, to make up for the fact that canon has actually been the innovator. Anybody else remember nikons' slogans like "DX is the future", and "who needs video in a dslr"?

HOWEVER, the d800 will still have a better AF system and other goodies the 5d line will never get.

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:37 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

timbop wrote:
Funny how all the nikonians (and others here) bemoaned the "crazy" jump in pixels of the 5d2 and how the d700 had that "magical" balance, but now clamor for even more ridiculous densities.

Who cares who the "innovator" is? That discussion is hardly more useful than the one about how 12MP in a D700 is a "magical" balance... what nonsense. People may try to justify their system choices with BS like that, but I imagine their time would be better served determining how to either (1) get your camera investment to meet your needs or (2) re-investing in a different system that does.

Arka C.

Feb 10, 2012 at 06:11 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

lordarka wrote:
Who cares who the "innovator" is? That discussion is hardly more useful than the one about how 12MP in a D700 is a "magical" balance... what nonsense. People may try to justify their system choices with BS like that, but I imagine their time would be better served determining how to either (1) get your camera investment to meet your needs or (2) re-investing in a different system that does.

Arka C.

Of course, as soon you make that decision, everything changes and Canon or Nikon leapfrogs the other.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #14 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

Oh guys, the OP just offers a humor I like ("crying children").
But is he wrong?

YES! Because 2% of worlds photographers "need" 36 MP. And I do not see a 5D2 user whining about not having 36. I would even guess that Nikonians, who where fixed to 12 MP in a great of prosumer body since years, whould have been very happy, if they just would have got a D700 with same IQ AND 16-20MP (and Video).

If 5D III/X comes I would love to see just the 1Dx sensor in it, ISO 25k and a new (programmable auto Iso), and enhanced AF.

If its not, I will stay with 5D MK II. No whining. My pictures will not become worse. They will just stay the same.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

timbop wrote:
HOWEVER, the d800 will still have a better AF system and other goodies the 5d line will never get.

If this is the case, Canon will instantly loose against the then superior D800. This would be a very bad business decision made by Canon - admittedly not the first bad decision in the last few years.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM
barryjphoto

p.1 #16 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

and then there's little ol' me….waiting patiently for the mythical 8D.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #17 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

I am so bored with all the discussions concerning the pros and cons of the 5D2. I wish Canon would just go ahead and release whatever body or bodies are going to replace it. Then those who are going to upgrade can happily do so, and those of us who will go on with the 5D2 can revel in our new "classic" status!

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #18 · I am excited for the 5DIII - so there.

Very well written guys.

timbop wrote:
Actually agree that the d800 only adds the video and a sensor density jump along the lines of the 5d2 3 years ago. Funny how all the nikonians (and others here) bemoaned the "crazy" jump in pixels of the 5d2 and how the d700 had that "magical" balance, but now clamor for even more ridiculous densities. Don't worry canonites, there will be a megapixel monster soon - but without the PRO AF nikon had the guts to put on the d300, d700, and d800. Of course they had to, to make up for the fact that canon has actually been
...Show more

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password