Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1.4x mark 1 & 11 questions

Matt Ward
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1.4x mark 1 & 11 questions

I am a hobby photographer who likes reasonably good gear, have a 20D and a 7D, several older L zooms, couple select primes and a 100 USM macro. I have a 300/4.0 L IS on the way and have rented a 400/5.6 that I really liked. So, to make the 300 due double duty I am considering a 1.4x TC. Will it really matter to me whether I choose a mark 1 or mark 11? Are there any glaring drawbacks to the mark 1?

Thanks Matt

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:30 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 1.4x mark 1 & 11 questions

Wont really matter, I think the mark2 has weather sealing. Quality wise I think they are pretty close. I think Luminous lanscape didi a comparison way back when the 2nd one came out. The pro Kenko converter is quite good also-I cant tell a difference between it and my canon mrk2. Remember your camera's won't auto focus at f-stops above 5.6 so your 400 wont auto focus with the converter unless you get a 1 series body.

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:40 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · 1.4x mark 1 & 11 questions

Matt. Looking at your profile (if it's current) you may want to steer clear of the canon TC
The canon tc's only fit a few of the canon lenses. Your 300 and the 400/5.6 will be fine but your other stuff won't.
The kenko will work with any of your stuff. The macro in particular can be quite handy to mount the TC on.

Also as pointed out your bodies won't AF with a 5.6 lens and the TC (f8) . But you can tape the last 3 pins and get pretty good AF. The 7D can be a slight pig though. It will not AF on the middle point. I tested my 7D & 100-400 with a 1.4 TC. All the other points work fine but the centre one just won't have it. You can do all the AF modes like zone and spot and the work really well.

As has been said above optically the is very little to choose between the mk1&mk2 or the good 3rd party ones (kenko in particular).
The mk2 is weather sealed .

Edit:
If you wanted to use the macro with the Canon TC then a short tube in between will do the trick.
In fact that is sort of what the life size converter (lsc) that you can get for you 50cm is (I'm not sure what the tube size or the TC magnification is on the lsc though)

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:58 PM
Matt Ward
• •
p.1 #4 · 1.4x mark 1 & 11 questions

Sounds like I will be looking for a Kenko 1.4. I would like to use it on the macro lens and maybe sometimes on my 50/1.4 or 85/1.8. If I understand correctly, my 300/4.0 would become a 420/5.6 with IS.

Sounds good to me.

Feb 09, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 1.4x mark 1 & 11 questions

Matt Ward wrote:
Sounds like I will be looking for a Kenko 1.4. I would like to use it on the macro lens and maybe sometimes on my 50/1.4 or 85/1.8. If I understand correctly, my 300/4.0 would become a 420/5.6 with IS.

Sounds good to me.

Yeah .
The canon tc's have a protruding front element so only fit lenses designed to take it. For example look at the rear element of your 80-200L . The rear glass is flush with the rear of the mount. Mine works very well with the kenkon TC by the way.

Not sure why you would want to use a TC on you 50 when you have a perfectly good 85 . Or on your 85 when you have the 100 . Those 3 lenses are not huge .

Back when I had the 100macro I found it worked really well with the TC (poor mans 150 macro)

In your lens set you will find you use it most on the 300 & 100 and on the 80-200 (when you didn't bring the 300 with you)

By the way only your 300 is a TC reporting lens (and the 400 your going to hire) all the others will not know its got a TC on it so your body will think your at wider fstop . Eg your 80-200 will still report as 2.8 when in fact you start at f4 . It doesn't make a huge difference but I do find some metering issues. I normally have to give a 2/3 stop compensation as all the bodies I've used over exposse with the TC on when using AV or TV. I normally take a meter reading without the TC and then shoot manual with having made the 1 stop adjustment.

Feb 09, 2012 at 07:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password