Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hybrid System

Chad S
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Hybrid System

Does anyone here run a hybrid kit consisting of both Nikon and Canon gear?

I have a 1DMKIII and a 1DsMKII right now. I'm considering selling the 1DsMKII and getting a Nikon D3. The screen and controls on the 1DsMKII are just such a hindrance, and there aren't really a lot of other reasonably priced full frame options out there for Canon users.

I've ruled out the 5DMKII because of it's focusing system.

The 1DsMKIII is way too expensive right now, and probably won't drop any time soon.

The 1D X will be too expensive when it's even available.

The D800 should drop the price of the D3 somewhat (maybe to $2,500 'ish).

So I was thinking about a D3 with the 14-24mm and 70-200mm VR, and the 1DMKIII with the 50L and 135L.

Kind of a best of both worlds situation.

The bulk of my work is weddings and portraits.

Thoughts?

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:07 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Hybrid System

I'd ask in the wedding forum.

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:52 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #3 · Hybrid System

^^^ That's not a bad idea.

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:56 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Hybrid System

I know there are a few that run both systems.

to my mind though that 2.5k you spend on the Nikon body would get you a fair chunk of the 1Ds3. and then consider the probably need to invest in a backup of some sort for each system . not much point having the primes if you body has crapped out on you mid wedding. or even worse only having the Canon and primes if the Nikon dies on you and you want to use either of those zooms
then their is flash systems. you could have just the nikon with flash but then if it dies on you see above.

If you really wanted to go down the nikon route then why not sell the canon gear and pickup a D3 and D700 . In fact less face it unless you went D3s why would you not pickup a pair of D700 . the zooms you mention and a couple of primes . The 50 1.4 G gets very good reviews and is a bargain
You could cover the 135L with the 70-200 VR . very good lens and while a stop slower the nikon system probably allows you to push the ISO a stop more .

Of course you could stay with Canon and sink the money you would spend on the Nikon gear and actually buy the 1Ds3 (hell the 1Ds2 may not be as easy to use but its not exactly unusable either)

Just my 2 cents

Feb 09, 2012 at 04:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chad S
• • •
p.1 #5 · Hybrid System

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I know there are a few that run both systems.

to my mind though that 2.5k you spend on the Nikon body would get you a fair chunk of the 1Ds3. and then consider the probably need to invest in a backup of some sort for each system . not much point having the primes if you body has crapped out on you mid wedding. or even worse only having the Canon and primes if the Nikon dies on you and you want to use either of those zooms
then their is flash systems. you could have just the nikon
...Show more

Your point about back-up's is well taken. If one body went down, I'd be in deep sh*t.

I'll never go all the way Nikon. The 50L and 135L will be in my kit until they pry my cold, dead fingers from them

I'm quite fond of my 1DMKIII as well. It always performs.

Feb 09, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Hybrid System

I've dipped a toe in the Nikon arena with a D1X, D7000, and Fuji S5, but it is very hard to keep both systems going. Personally, I hate the Nikon owner's manual and menu system, finding it counter-intuitive and poor terminology -- having a much longer history in Canon gear.

The D800 is very interesting, and maybe it's good I haven't sold all my Nikon lenses yet! But otherwise, I'd say the smart thing is to sit tight and see if a replacement for the 5D is in the wings with better focusing. Even used, the D3 is far to expensive for my taste, and I'd prefer a D3s to the old 10MP original, but it's even more expensive.

Feb 09, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #7 · Hybrid System

Gunzorro wrote:
But otherwise, I'd say the smart thing is to sit tight and see if a replacement for the 5D is in the wings with better focusing. Even used, the D3 is far to expensive for my taste, and I'd prefer a D3s to the old 10MP original, but it's even more expensive.

I feel like Canon is really going to deliver with the new body, but availability is a concern. I fear that I wouldn't be able to put one (whatever it is) in my hands in time for the wedding season.

I remember when the 5D2 came out, they were difficult to obtain.

The D3 is 12.1MP, which is more than enough for me.

Feb 09, 2012 at 04:45 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Hybrid System

Chad S wrote:
Does anyone here run a hybrid kit consisting of both Nikon and Canon gear? ...The bulk of my work is weddings and portraits. ...Thoughts?

Since you'd need to buy new lenses for the new brand anyway, there is another option to consider: the Fujifilm X-Pro1.

Because of the new non-Bayer-array sensor, it doesn't need a blur filter to avoid color moiré, which could make it an excellent choice for portraits and wedding "formals."

It's quite a different form-factor than an SLR, but the ergonomics look very intuitive. Trying to switch back and forth between the similar-but-different Canon and Nikon layouts, on the other hand, could be confusing.

The XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro looks to be an excellent portrait lens, and for low-light work the XF 18mm F2 R and XF 35mm F1.4 R look nice. (Plus, with the Leica adapter, you can mount a Leica Noctilux-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH next time you have a spare $11,000 or so lying around.)

There should be more testing and reviews available in time for the June wedding season, but until then here's a teaser link:

http://blog.wppionline.com/2012/01/23/hands-on-a-preview-of-the-fujifilm-x-pro1-camera-system/

also:

http://www.christianfletcher.com.au/blog/

Be sure to look at the ISO 6400 sheep-shearing photo. (1/250 @ f/3.2 with the 18mm f/2 lens.)

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password