Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

Good evening,

I have a nice sharp copy of a 400/5.6 L lens and I'm just curious on how the integrated lens hood is supposed to work. Ever since I got it (used), the hood doesn't lock into place when retracted (not in use). So, when I point the lens downward, the hoods flops down.

I've searched for an answer online, but didn't come across anything. Is it normal? Or is it supposed to lock when it's retracted like it does when it's extended?

Thanks!

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:47 AM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

My 300L F/4 Non IS was the same way, both copies actually were. To keep it retracted while not in use, I used a super wide rubber band around the barrel and the rim of the hood. The did "lock"/hold in the extended position.

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:57 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

Thanks Reno, so is it normal? Or just something I should learn to live with

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:48 AM
johnip
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

Mine was bought new and doesn't have this problem so it might be due to wear. It seems to get stuck on the skinny focus ring when it's retracted and stays put. It's probably being held in place by the flocking inside the hood, so if that wears off from repeated use, I bet it will get loose like yours.

Edited on Feb 09, 2012 at 02:55 AM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:53 AM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

lowa2 wrote:
Thanks Reno, so is it normal? Or just something I should learn to live with

Pretty much both...It's a great lens, and that little "characteristic" trait doesn't hinder the image quality that lens is able to deliver!!!

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:54 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

Right on, thanks a lot guys. The reason I wanted to know is I MAY be putting up for sale, and was debating on sending it in to CPS.

Tks.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:56 AM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

I have no problem "locking" the lens hood on my 400/5.6 either retracted or extended. It just takes a gentle twist. I wonder if those experiencing problems are over torquing the hood, and breaking the internal lock mechanism. Doesn't take much.

Feb 10, 2012 at 01:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

harrygilbert wrote:
I have no problem "locking" the lens hood on my 400/5.6 either retracted or extended. It just takes a gentle twist. I wonder if those experiencing problems are over torquing the hood, and breaking the internal lock mechanism. Doesn't take much.

Are you sure you're 'locking' the hood in it's retracted position? ASAIK, the hood only locks while extended...when the hood is retracted, there is a gasket type material that applies a bit of friction & holds the hood in place. This material tends to wear over time and lose it's friction grip causing the hood to be loose while retracted.

Another option that works is the (newer style) LensCoat...it has an entended piece on the hood that wraps around the lens barrel and creates enough friction to hold the hood in place while retracted.

HTH,
Omar

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:30 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

Iowa,

I have both the 300 f/4.0 and the 400 f/5.6. Great lenses but the both share the "twist to lock until I'm too tired to do so" hood holding system. My 300 is quite old (pre -IS) and the hood just slides as it will. The 400 is newer and will "twist lock" gently! I can't find a real fix for the 300, thus I slide a business card in between the hood and the lens barrel. This keeps it from moving, but allows it to slide easily when I extend/retract the hood. Not exactly an elegant solution and I do have to pay attention to how far the card slides, but it works well.

I bought both used and know nothing of their history, so I have no idea why the hold holding mechanism fails other than I think it was friction only and just wears down. I consider the hood irritation a small price to pay for these "poor man's super teles" as I can't conceive of the situation where I would be able to afford their faster kin.

Robert

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:11 PM
kaustubh_d
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

I use my 400f5.6 a lot....so probably that is the reason but it does not lock in retracted position. Doesn't bother me as I always have the hood extended when photographing. and it does lock in that position. As soon as I pull it out of the bag, I extend the hood and lock it.

Any specific reason you dont want the hood extended and locked? its the best way to protect the front element.

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:20 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

kaustubh_d wrote:
Any specific reason you dont want the hood extended and locked? its the best way to protect the front element.

Takes up more space (with hood extended) in the already crowded bag. Also, don't always need the hood. The 400 with the hood extended is a longish beast.

Robert

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:23 PM
kaustubh_d
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

Robert, of course, when its inside the bag, I also retract the hood. But it doesn't matter if it is locked or not.

In the field though, I dont think extended hood affects performance. I have used it that way even in windy conditions. But if you think it becomes too long, then yes, I can understand your concern about not being able to lock the hood in retracted position.

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:30 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

OntheRez wrote:
Takes up more space (with hood extended) in the already crowded bag. Also, don't always need the hood. The 400 with the hood extended is a longish beast.

Robert

Ditto! This is the reason.

Admittedly, my main reason for concern was resale. It locks just fine in the "operating" position, so it doesn't bother me at all. I just wanted to know weather or not it would be a negative when I come to sell it.

Thanks again,

Charles.

Feb 10, 2012 at 07:17 PM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 400 f5.6 hood operation

omarlyn wrote:
Are you sure you're 'locking' the hood in it's retracted position? ASAIK, the hood only locks while extended...when the hood is retracted, there is a gasket type material that applies a bit of friction & holds the hood in place. This material tends to wear over time and lose it's friction grip causing the hood to be loose while retracted.

HTH,
Omar

Well, the hood easily extends and retracts when not "locked", and when I retract it and give it a twist, it no longer extends, so yes, I'm sure it can lock in the retracted position.

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password