Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 300/2.8 IS II review

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 300/2.8 IS II review

Can you spell "Perfect"? Not that anyone thought differently of course....

http://www.lenstip.com/329.1-Lens_review-Canon_EF_300_mm_f_2.8_L_IS_II_USM_Introduction.html

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 300/2.8 IS II review

My review

IQ 10/10
AF 10/10
Handling 10/10

Price 1/10

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Jay Adeff
• •
p.1 #3 · 300/2.8 IS II review

Not sure why they got rid of the focus limiter switch from the first version. I borrowed the MkII version from CPS to shoot the U.S. Figure Skating National Championships a couple weeks ago and really missed having that feature.

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 300/2.8 IS II review

Jay Adeff wrote:
Not sure why they got rid of the focus limiter switch from the first version. I borrowed the MkII version from CPS to shoot the U.S. Figure Skating National Championships a couple weeks ago and really missed having that feature.

What are you talking about? Do you mean the distance limiter switch as shown at the bottom of this picture on the left? As far as I can see the mk II lacks nothing of the mk I.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:20 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · 300/2.8 IS II review

as a very happy owner of the 300mkI, I'd mostly like to hear more from working pros about the noticeable differences in image quality & handling.. is the slight difference in sharpness really discernible in real world shots? is image quality & focusing speed with tele-converters improved noticeably? are there other subtle nuances in terms of small changes to the form factor/weight that improve handling the lens for longer events?

the MkI make of this lens is pretty much perfect (to me at least) already. so with the improved MTF charts, slightly lighter weight, added features of the mkII, i really have no doubts that it deserves to be called the "perfect" lens.

i would love a 4-stop IS, as i hand-hold quite a bit.. but outside of that, i remain unconvinced that i'd even notice much of a change in my work for the current $3000 price tag to upgrade (sell mk1 for $3800-4000, buy new for $7000 after taxes)

i have no doubts that the 300mkII is a sparkling lens & if money were no object I'd have one.. or 5

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:42 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password