Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Epson 9800 printer for Wildlife/Nature Images

mshetzer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 9800 printer for Wildlife/Nature Images

I'm looking at purchasing a new large format printer for primarily nature and wildlife images and I'm considering a used Epson 9800.

I don't have a budget for a new 44" printer, but I'm wondering how much superior the newer printers are then the 9800.

I've had an Epson 7600 in the past, and was satisfied with the prints, but hoping a newer model might be a bit crisper.

I'm hoping someone has had experience with a couple of Epson Models and might be able to explain the differences.

Thanks
Matt

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:54 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 9800 printer for Wildlife/Nature Images

Matt,

I'm running both a 9800 and a 9900. (The 78/9800 is definitely a better printer than your old 7600)

The 9800 is truly a reliable workhorse. With custom profiles, print quality is excellent. The 9900 is probably better quality-wise, but I don't think it's anything that is jawdropping. The improvements for the 9900 are speed, spindleless printing, auto pk/mk switching, better cutter, addition of orange and green, etc. I think custom profiles makes a big difference for the 9800. With the 9900, manufacturer profiles are greatly improved and probably reflects parallel advancements in color managment technology over the years. The 9900 just seems a lot more finicky than my 9800.

Check the "usage" rating from the 9800 control panel to verify print usage and life expectancy of parts. Ultrachrome K3 inks are much better than the previous 76/9600. I have had no clogging issues----suggest getting a hygrometer and monitoring your humidity levels. Check with www.tastarsupply.com for ink. They have an excellent Epson ink cartridge recycling program, giving you credit for new Epson ink, very competitive, and free shipping. Customer loyalty program gives even more savings.

Check with various rebates being offered now---you might be surprised at the accessibility of new printers from Epson and Canon.

ken

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:35 AM
mshetzer

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 9800 printer for Wildlife/Nature Images

Thanks for the reply and the comparison between the models. It's a great help.
I've checked the usage rating, and this printer has printed 1,100 feet of print. I'm thinking that not too much, but I love to hear your opinion on that.
Matt

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:44 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson 9800 printer for Wildlife/Nature Images

These are pro printers----they like to work, and they simply work better when they are used regularly. 1,100 feet of printing doesn't sound like much. I'd be checking more for the maintenance "life" settings for the head, cutter, etc. Cutter is user replaceable. If the printer is clean, run nozzle checks and it is clear---you're probably in good shape.

Make sure to "lock" the head carriage in place before moving. And I believe the Epson recommendation is to leave the ink cartridges locked in place as well. Obviously, keep the printer upright!

ken

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mshetzer

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson 9800 printer for Wildlife/Nature Images

Thank you so much Ken !!!

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:20 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson 9800 printer for Wildlife/Nature Images

Until recently I had both a 9800 and a 9900. I sold the 9800 to a good friend, which may or may not have been a good idea. There were many jobs when I ran them side by side and there was almost no visible difference in the same prints coming off of both printers.

In theory, the 9900 is sharper, but in actual use, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The 9900 is almost twice as fast and can use the large 700ml carts, but overall, I think the 9800 is more reliable and is actually much easier and faster to load paper with.

The 9900 has very slightly blacker blacks both on photo and matte paper, but in comparing 3D gamut plots in ColorThink from both, the 9800 actually has a slightly larger gamut, even taking into account the added Orange and Green of the newer printer.

As long as you have good custom profiles, you'll have a great time with your new machine.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:09 AM
mshetzer

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Epson 9800 printer for Wildlife/Nature Images

Thanks Peter. It's great to hear from people who had had both printers !
Matt

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:32 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password