Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

lwrnclightner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

I was just reading about the 200 f1.8 and I am a bit confused as to what it takes to make the rear end compartment complete.

Does the lens need a filter of some sort in that 48mm filter hoder in order for the rear element to be complete or as long as the holder is in place (no filter inserted) that everything is fine.

The reason I ask is because Pet Kal or another expert on long glass mentioned that without something in the rear then maximum resolution is not obtained and the lens is not being used to its full capacity.

So I say all this to say... I am about to purchase a 200 that has the filter holder,, but no filter in the holder, do I need to order a drop in uv gel in order to maximize resolution and performance, or have I misunderstood something?

Per the owner all of the other checks that PetKal listed in a prev thread have been asked and A-Ok there... So help me guys, I am so excited I am about to bust!!!

Thanks

Lawrence

Feb 08, 2012 at 04:43 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

It'll work without the filter but it's as lot sharper with a filter in place. I have the glass filter in mine but I can't tell you whether that's better than the gel or not. I did side by side comparisons when I got the glass filter/holder and there was a definite visible improvement.

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:15 AM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

Thanks Peter, I have been looking on line but all I seem to see is the holder and then the circular polarizer one. Where do I find the glass that goes in the holder or what do I put in to do a search?

And what is the diff between a gel and just glass?

Thanks again.

Feb 08, 2012 at 07:07 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

There are two different filter holders available, or at least that were available. The gel holder and then the one that had the screw in glass filters. I know that the lens was designed to have either a gel or glass filter in place but I don't know if one was better than the other. I opted for the glass as it was just easier to keep clean. A lot of the lenses than came in from Korea had no filters at all.

I think this is the right one but it looks like it's not in stock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/121960-REG/Canon_2611A002_Drop_In_Filter_Holder_for.html

Feb 08, 2012 at 07:16 AM
mspringfield
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

Lawrence,

Any 48mm screw in filter will work. Mine has one from Canon that is labeled "REGULAR". Whatever that means..

I also have the "circular polarizing filter" but can't ever remember using it.

Michael

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

I would also recommand you contact Peter at Petkal on F/M. Hes extremely knowlegable and has owned that lens.
Harry Palmer

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:41 AM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

Thanks for your help Peter, Michael and Harry. Its getting a little clearer now.

My next inquiry will be on the topic of the ol' girls performance with converters, 1/4, 2 and heck maybe stacked, if that's even possible.

Feb 08, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

Just a word of caution not all 48mm screw in filters willl work. The filter ring may e too thick to fit into the drop in area of the lens. B+W, Heliopan, Canons I have had no problems with but Tiffen and a few other brands I have were too thick.

Regular means it is just clear glass you can also get UV and various colors for Black and White photography and some CC (color correcting) ones from Canon Though the Canon ones are not readily available and I do not know if they still make them since the 48 was used more in the FD days and the early models of the big white EF teles. 52 is now the standard size of drop in.

The 200 gives great images with 1.4 converter still very sharp. I have used mine often with the 1.4.

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:50 PM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

Thanks for the info burningheart, I decided to just stop killing my self by searching and searching until I (fingers crossed) finally get it in hand. Heck I don't even know if it is the gel holder type or the screw in design. But if it were the gel type, wouldn't the glass already be in it, or is the glass remvable from the gel style insert? Some of the pictures I have seen look like the glass is permanently inserted in the drop in unit as one piece.

This will be my first glass that requires drop ins.

Feb 08, 2012 at 10:03 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

I just checked my collection of 48 drop ins and both of my gel holders have clear glass in them.

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:34 PM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

burningheart wrote:
I just checked my collection of 48 drop ins and both of my gel holders have clear glass in them.

Hey man I really appreciate your insight here, THANKS. Here is where I am confused, looking at the following links photo http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_171909_-1 it looks like there is no glass included, but maybe the image is just inferior.

So if I buy this one will that be all I need, or is there the "gel" that is purchased separately, honestly I have not seen any adds for a gel filter insert, but I don't want to ASSUME that the holder includes the glass.

Sorry if I seem so dense right now

Edited on Feb 09, 2012 at 05:37 AM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:45 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

As long as the glass is there you won't need any gel filters also known as Kodak Wratten or Lee. They were used in days past mainly with black and white films, infrared and color correction.

I don't see any link but the glass is really clear in the filter holder and unless you get a reflection you wont notice there is glass in it.

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:24 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

The gel filter holder has clear glass in place at all times (non-removable). As long as yours is not scratched you are fine. You don't need any other filters.

Congrats on the 200 1.8L !!

Here is my thread about buying mine.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1070524/0

Grab a don zeck cap for that baby!

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:28 AM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 200 f1.8 filter ???

saneproduction wrote:
The gel filter holder has clear glass in place at all times (non-removable). As long as yours is not scratched you are fine. You don't need any other filters.

Congrats on the 200 1.8L !!

Here is my thread about buying mine.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1070524/0

Grab a don zeck cap for that baby!
... Yeah I caught your thread a couple days ago...

Thanks for the info, confusion..... gone!

And although I have not sent the funds for the one I have spoken for yet, my hopes are high that I will be successful...

Thanks again.
Lawrence

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password