Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Compact Flash --> Harddrive w/o Laptop

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Compact Flash --> Harddrive w/o Laptop

Update on the Hyperdrive Colorspace UMDA

I finally found a fast, large hard drive that appears to work properly in the UDMA, the Hitachi Travelstar 7k1000. I believe this is the first (and currently only) 1TB 7200 RPM laptop drive of the standard 9.5mm height. I need to perform full testing over the next few days, so don't blame me if there is a compatibility issue not easily evident.

EBH

Nov 11, 2012 at 01:53 AM
anomalyconcept

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Compact Flash --> Harddrive w/o Laptop

Hopefully the original poster found a solution for the safari.

I was looking for a similar device, but never was able justify the high cost vs. getting more cards. I ended up using the USB-OTG (on the go) functionality in my phone to copy files from a card reader to an external hard drive.

The solution is not as elegant as a single box device (in fact, there are cables everywhere) and requires external power, but it does allow me to make a backup in those situations where I don't have a computer. It does have a lot of prerequisites and a bit of know-how, but maybe it'll give someone some ideas.

The basic idea is that the hard drive and card readers are connected to a USB hub which is connected to the phone via a USB-OTG cable. The USB hub will need to be powered for the hard drive and the card reader; I was able to drive everything off of the hard drive power. Once the devices are connected and powered on, the actual file copy is done in the phone with a file manager. The speeds were fairly fast, but still took around 10 minutes or so to transfer 16GB.

I'll admit that there were a lot of pieces that had to align perfectly in order for this to happen, most notably already having all of the components on hand. If I didn't have any of the parts, I probably would have just bought a ton of cards and kept them safe.

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password